PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Little Sahara trip report

MTpockets
11-19-2006, 09:07 PM
Decided late Saturday afternoon to make one last trip to the dunes before winter finally kicks in.

Set up camp in the dark but the pop up tent trailer worked like a charm and it only took about five minutes. The night temp was a bit cold but the heater also worked great.

Sunday morning after a couple rides over the nearby sand dunes we loaded up the ATV and headed over to Sand Mountain. The pics were taken from the parking lot looking up at Sand Mountain and then from the top looking down. The pic of Jeremy is from the top of Sand Mountain looking west out over the sand dunes behind Sand Mountain. We spent a couple hours over there riding out butts off. It was great. Daytime temps were very nice and unseasonably warm.

Sombeech
11-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Nice report. Thanks for the pics. :nod:

Windwalker
11-20-2006, 09:23 AM
MTpockets,

How do you like the Kodiak 450?? Does it do OK in sand?? Just curious, we'll be buying a new machine in the next year.

From your pictures it looks like you should have had a great time. Many other machines/people on your saturday camp?

Thanks WW

RugerShooter
11-20-2006, 04:29 PM
Nice TR I can't wait to get back down there

MTpockets
11-20-2006, 04:41 PM
Windwalker,

I've really enjoyed my Kodiak 450. It came with the automatic shift and they threw in the winch. I'll try and post a few more pics. I purchased it this year at Easter and have put 1000 miles and 100 hours on it with no problems.

I was talking with Sombeach and I'll probably be doing a full up product report on my tent trailer. You asked about the crowds and for such a nice weekend I was surprised there weren't more riders. I pulled into Little Sahara about 8:30 PM and by nine was set up, fire going and went out for a short ride on the dunes to look at the star filled sky. A number of vehicles drove past headed to other camping spots (White Sands) but never did see or hear much from them. After breakfast and a couple rides over the smaller dunes we packed up and moved over to Sand Mountain getting there about 11:00 AM. Not many vehicles and plenty of room to spread out. I think one of the pics from the top looking down at the parking area and how few vehicles there are might give you some idea of just how few were out riding.

The friend that I met at noon and I both agreed that the sand was nearly perfect. It was soft enough that he didn't get hurt rolling his quad while trying to copy his son's tail slide. "You have to shift your weight dadddd!" The dunes on the back side were awesome, sand just had a great feel and there weren't a lot of ruts from other riders.

Getting back to your first question. My friend and his son have two racing quads and my 450 was able to keep up and pretty much go anywhere they went. Sometimes not as fast though. Finally, seeing my friend roll, my young passeng started asking me to slow down and stuff. So we headed back to the parking lot over the top of sand mountain again for one last look.

Windwalker
11-20-2006, 05:16 PM
MTpockets,

I've wanted to do the dunes. We've only been there once many years ago. But the draw and allure of the San Rafael has too much of a hard grip on us.

I have a tent trailer that I've modified the hell out of. So I'm very interested in what you have to say about yours. Hoping to pick up a few pointers and ideas that will make camping that much more "campable." Just don't have a john in mine, we have to put up a shower tent with a "Johnny Bucket."

Anyway I'm very interested. Thought I was the only wheeled tent owner.

Take care, WW

MTpockets
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
WindWalker,

Here's a story that gets told around our campfires every once in awhile, prompted by your comment of not having been down there for many years.

Back when I was knee-high to short grass - my family used to meet other family members for a reunion. We held these reunions at the sand hills. I think that we even called them Little Sahara back then. Our roughtly 40 or 50 family members usually had the dunes all to ourselves.

Then, one year some guy showed up and asked us what we were doing? He talked with my mom and a couple other of the parents and then took some pictures before leaving. Some time later there was an article in the paper about Little Sahara.

As mom relates, the following year at Easter there were more people. The next year after that a lot more. About this time they made it a state park and pretty soon it got so crowded that our family move the reunions to a different location.

I hadn't been there because of that for many, many years. Went back for an overnight with the Scouts when my boys were that age. Then another dry spell of about 12 years. I've been there a number of times this year.

The Jumping Jack Trailer is really great. Only had it for just over three weeks and camped in it twice. I really like getting out of the tent and off the ground. The tent trailer does all that and will haul my ATV. Really, looking forward to more trips now.

MTpockets

chickenlicken
11-22-2006, 01:36 PM
I've wanted to do the dunes. We've only been there once many years ago. But the draw and allure of the San Rafael has too much of a hard grip on us.

WW

I have never been atving in the swell. We always cruise right on by headed to Moab. Any suggested areas or trails, I've got a hankering for some new trails.

Windwalker
11-26-2006, 06:57 PM
I have never been atving in the swell. We always cruise right on by headed to Moab. Any suggested areas or trails, I've got a hankering for some new trails.

I'd say the best way to get started ATVing in the Swell is to camp at Justensen Flats just off I-70, exit 114 (Moore Exit). Justensen Flats is a undeveloped camping area with a wheeler staging area you have to drive past before getting to the Flats. From the staging area and the Flats you are open to a variety of ATV approve trails. I suggest that you go to a outdoors sportings store, Sportsman Warehouse, Cabela's, etc and pick up a copy of Map 712 "San Rafael Swell" by National Geographic. Have fun and with a little luck we'll cross paths while your there.

JR

Windwalker
11-26-2006, 07:16 PM
WindWalker,

The Jumping Jack Trailer is really great. Only had it for just over three weeks and camped in it twice. I really like getting out of the tent and off the ground. The tent trailer does all that and will haul my ATV. Really, looking forward to more trips now.

MTpockets
MTpockets,

I visited the Jumping Jack website. Took the virtual tour from setup/foldup to loading the wheelers. That is a very nice outfit. I like the way it folds out after unloading the wheelers giving you a larger floor area for the tent. I wish I'd of seen this before buying mine, I'd of given it some very serious thought. As it is now I'm having to pull my tent trailer and a wheeler trailer.

Yes, Very Nice Outfit

Windwalker

MTpockets
01-22-2007, 11:45 AM
I had my Jumping Jack Trailer out again this past weekend. Loaded up two ATV's for the first time and it handled just fine behind my Cherokee. I do need to leave a bit more stopping distance. Take a look at my new post about my trip to Little Sahara in January.