PDA

View Full Version : What is your best recipe?

DiscGo
11-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I think it would be fun to find out everyone's best recipe. Or even multiple recipes for good items. Here are a couple that I like:

Middle Eastern Sloppy Joe's

Here's what you need: 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
6 green onions or scallions, sliced thin, white and green parts separated
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. coarse salt
2 medium garlic cloves, minced
2 medium tomatoes, diced

greyhair biker
11-20-2006, 06:32 PM
One of my favs, not sure about my best but I like it!

Dutch Oven hot teriyaki chicken

14" dutch oven
about 6-8 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
1/4 cup Cholula hot sauce or your favorite
a big pinch of Ginger
a shake of cayenne
1 -2 cloves of garlic - crushed
1 chopped onion - a Maui Onion if you can get it - if not, a white or yellow will do
Olive oil

sautee the onion & garlic in olive oil in the bottom of the dutch oven. Add the rest of the seasoning. No need to marinate...time will do the trick. cook for 35 to 45 minutes with charcoal briquettes - 14/15 on both top and bottom of a 14" oven OR jsut bake it in the oven - 350 for an hour or so...I always use coals so Im not sure how long in the real oven just watch it and it's down when it's tender and not pink anymore. Thiken mixture with a tablespoon of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of lukewarm water - and pour the whole thing over chinese noodles or rice...enjoy!

tanya
11-20-2006, 06:59 PM
Wow... men that cook :2thumbs: :nod: :cheers: :ahh:

RedMan
11-20-2006, 08:17 PM
Best Mac and Cheese in the known Universe

This is so good I gain weight just thinking about it.

3 c. elbow macaroni, cooked
1 1/4 c. Cheddar cheese, grated
1/2 c. onion, diced
1 c. buttermilk
1/2 tsp. pepper
Salt
1/4 c. butter
1 c. crushed Corn Flakes

In a greased 2-quart casserole, stir all ingredients together, reserving half of the Corn Flakes to sprinkle over the top of casserole. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

Iceaxe
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Egg Muffins

Get in the car
Drive to McDonalds
pull-up to the drive thru
order an egg mcmuffin with sasauge
drive home
eat

:five:

tanya
11-20-2006, 09:22 PM
Egg Muffins

Get in the car
Drive to McDonalds
drive home
eat

:roflol: :roflol:
That's how I cook too :haha:

savanna3313
11-20-2006, 09:43 PM
A perfect side dish for Thanksgiving and very easy to make. If you have a large group coming, you will want to at least double the recipe. This definitely beats the old *yams with melted marshmallow topping* dish. I find that people who say they don't like sweet potatoes, will love this dish. I brought it to a friend's house once and one guy started yapping about how much he hated sweet potatoes. I later caught him scraping the casserole dish trying to get the last bit left. :haha:

Sweet Potato Casserole w/Praline Topping

2 cans (29 oz sized cans) sweet potatoes - drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted

Topping

3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Mash potatoes; add salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter. Place into greased 9 x 9 casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

greyhair biker
11-20-2006, 10:43 PM
OMG!! sweetpotato/ pecan pie!!! You had me at sweet potato! Have you ever tried cardamon with this recipe?

greyhair biker
11-20-2006, 10:47 PM
a friend of mine who used to live in Kenya told me about taking a can of sweetened condensed milk, peeling the label off and slow boiling it n a pan of water for a hour turning it into caramel, then pouring it into a graham craker crust & while hot, drizzling dark chocolate over it & sprinklin git with chopped nuts....TO DIE FOR!---apparently, they didnt have much in Kenya and this was easy to make...tried it and another version of it called Prince of Wales pie...adding dates or rasins to the mixture. when cooled it eats like a caramel bar :slobber1:

TreeHugger
11-21-2006, 05:51 AM
A perfect side dish for Thanksgiving and very easy to make. If you have a large group coming, you will want to at least double the recipe. This definitely beats the old *yams with melted marshmallow topping* dish. I find that people who say they don't like sweet potatoes, will love this dish. I brought it to a friend's house once and one guy started yapping about how much he hated sweet potatoes. I later caught him scraping the casserole dish trying to get the last bit left. :haha:

Sweet Potato Casserole w/Praline Topping

2 cans (29 oz sized cans) sweet potatoes - drained
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup granulated sugar

Topping

3 tablespoons flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Mash potatoes; add salt, vanilla extract, cinnamon, sugar, and melted butter. Place into greased 9 x 9 casserole dish. Mix topping ingredients and sprinkle over top of potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

Mmmmmmmmm, that sound really really really really good!!

Win
11-21-2006, 06:07 AM
Grilled Muenster and Pepperoni

I'm a big grilled cheese fan and this is my favorite. Serve it with a bowl of spicy tomato soup.

Rye or similar bread
Muenter cheese - sliced medium thick
Slicing Pepperoni - sliced thin (this is the 2" diameter not the thin sticks)
Mayonaise instead of butter

Spread a layer of Mayo on a slice of bread and begin toasting in a fry pan.
When it's nicely browned layer with cheese and Pepperoni, add second slice of bread (already mayoed) and carefully flip. Cover with pan lid and cook until nicely browned.

Win

DiscGo
11-21-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm excited to try all these (except the McDonald's).

savanna3313
11-21-2006, 09:00 AM
OMG!! sweetpotato/ pecan pie!!! You had me at sweet potato! Have you ever tried cardamon with this recipe?

I haven't. I find that I have to stick to the exact recipe during the holidays, or people notice and then ask "what the hell did you put in?" :haha: This isn't exactly a "pie" recipe per sa because there is no bottom crust to it. It's easy and practically impossible to mess up. :2thumbs:

btw.....your dutch oven chicken recipe looks great!

savanna3313
11-21-2006, 09:02 AM
Egg Muffins

Get in the car
Drive to McDonalds
drive home
eat

I tried that recipe, but ended up with a McGriddle instead........ :ne_nau:

:haha:

savanna3313
11-21-2006, 09:05 AM
Mmmmmmmmm, that sound really really really really good!!

I am one who used to not care much for sweet potatoes. This recipe changed my mind. To be honest, it's practically a dessert and a breeze to make.

tanya
11-21-2006, 09:13 AM
Grilled Muenster and Pepperoni

I'm a big grilled cheese fan and this is my favorite. Serve it with a bowl of spicy tomato soup.

Rye or similar bread
Muenter cheese - sliced medium thick
Slicing Pepperoni - sliced thin (this is the 2" diameter not the thin sticks)
Mayonaise instead of butter

Spread a layer of Mayo on a slice of bread and begin toasting in a fry pan.
When it's nicely browned layer with cheese and Pepperoni, add second slice of bread (already mayoed) and carefully flip. Cover with pan lid and cook until nicely browned.

Win

Different! Different is good!!! :2thumbs:

accadacca
11-21-2006, 01:09 PM
http://www.hardrock-cafe.com.hk/images/HardRock-HomemadeNachos.jpg

rockgremlin
11-21-2006, 01:19 PM
I feel like I just stepped into the Twilight Zone. I had two of the above mentioned recipes for dinner in the past week! (And no, it wasn't McDonalds!)

Are you guys snooping through my cookbooks? :lol8:

Those recipes for Middle-East Sloppy Joe, and Praline/Sweet Potato cassarole look reeeaaallly good!!

DiscGo
11-22-2006, 07:18 AM
Those recipes for Middle-East Sloppy Joe, and Praline/Sweet Potato cassarole look reeeaaallly good!!

I love the Middle Eastern Sloppy Joes. I can't recommend them enough!

greyhair biker
11-23-2006, 04:54 PM
my idea of a meal...hawaiian style

DiscGo
11-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Here is a good recipe my wife makes:

Thai Chicken Stir-Fry with Spicy Peanut Sauce
2 whole chicken breasts, skinned, boned & cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/2 c. water
1 1/2 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. peanut or vegetable oil
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 t. garlic powder)
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
3 to 4 c. sliced broccoli or spinach

In a small bowl, blend peanut butter, water, soy sauce and sugar; set aside. In a wok or large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Add garlic and pepper; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add chicken, stir-fry until firm and white, about 5 minutes. Add broccoli or spinach, stir-fry until bright green, about 3 minutes. Stir in peanut butter mixture. Cook, stirring constantly until sauce is smooth, about 3 minutes. Serves 4.

***I generally change this a little--I like to add some ginger and cilantro. Mix the ginger in with the peanut sauce--just add to taste. The cilantro (maybe half a bunch) goes in right at the end. And I usually like to do half broccoli/half spinach.

greyhair biker
11-27-2006, 04:39 PM
that's really close to a recipe I like to use except I like to put hot sauce in it too :2thumbs:

tanya
11-28-2006, 09:36 AM
that's really close to a recipe I like to use except I like to put hot sauce in it too :2thumbs:

Speaking of Hot... here is something to warm you up. :twisted:

Alaskan Iced Tea recipe
2 oz sweet and sour mix
2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz gin
1/2 oz light rum
lemon-lime soda

Mix the rum, gin, vodka, blue curacao, and sour mix in a mixing glass. Pour into an ice-filled highball glass, and top with lemon-lime soda. Garnish with a twist of lemon or lime, and top with a cherry. Serve.

DickHead
11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
How about a dutch oven recipe.....its a no brainer:
Large deep dish dutch oven (adjust portion as you see fit to fit your pot and those being served)
Several red potatoes
one onion (vidalia is best, but whatever floats your boat)
Chicken thighs and drumsticks. Wings work too.
Several bottles bbq sauce
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs chili powder
chopped green and red bell peppers
Dump all ingredients into dutch oven. Cover with hot coals for about 6 hours. Check periodicaly and stir.
Also can be done in a slow cooker.

DiscGo
01-28-2007, 08:25 PM
Here is a good indian recipe:

Saag Chicken

DiscGo
01-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Here is some Naan to go with the Indian food:
Naan:

2/3 cup milk or water
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 t. yeast
1t. sugar
1 t. salt
4 T. clarified butter (I actually use regular butter, but if you want to be authentic. . . )
2 T. plain yogurt

1. Whisk warm milk/water with the yeast and sugar until the yeast is dissolved.
2. Cover and let stand in a warm place for 10 minutes.
3. Sift flour and salt three times into a large bowl; add the yeast mixture, half of the butter and the yogurt.
4. Mix into a soft dough then knead on a floured surface for about 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic.
5. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover and let stand in a warm place for 1 1/2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.
6. Punch down (or gently deflate) dough and knead for 5 minutes.
7. Divide into 6 pieces.
8. Roll each piece out into 8 inch round naans.
9. Cover and oven tray with foil and grease the foil
10. Brush the naan with a little of the remaining butter and season to taste. (You can put whatever you want on top. Our favorites are garlic and kosher salt, or honey and cardamom.)
11. Cook naans one at a time under a very hot grill for about 2 minutes on each side or until puffed and just browned.

greyhair biker
01-28-2007, 08:31 PM
We had to pull the BBQ out tonight and throw on some Elk steaks on that had been marinating all day in water/oil/vinegar and a zesty italian seasoning...MOUTHWATERING!! threw together some potatoe salad and veggies and VOILA!

DiscGo
02-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Chocolate Lava Cupcake

8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 stick butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
Butter, to coat muffin tin
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1 cup vanilla ice cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Place a small metal bowl over a saucepan with simmering water. Melt the chocolate and butter in the bowl. Stir in vanilla.

In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt. Sift these into the chocolate and mix well with electric hand mixer. Add eggs one at time, fully incorporating each egg before adding the next. Beat at high until batter is creamy and lightens in color, approximately 4 minutes. Chill mixture.

Coat the top and each cup of the muffin tin with butter. Dust with the cocoa powder and shake out excess. Spoon mixture into pan using a 4-ounce scoop or ladle. Bake for 10 to 11 minutes. Outsides should be cake-like and centers should be gooey.

While muffins are in oven, melt the ice cream in a small saucepan. Serve over warm muffins.

packfish
02-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Missed the French dressing --- below

packfish
02-09-2007, 01:31 PM
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 pkg Lipton Onion soup mix
1 can of cranberries (jelly style)
8 chicken breast 1/2's
2 cups french dressing
foil and grease baking pan.
lay in chicken breasts
mix everything else in a bowl and pour over chicken
Bake a 350 for 50 minutes

Easy, quick and pretty tasty

DiscGo
02-09-2007, 01:37 PM
PackFish- I'm not usually a frenh dressing guy, but that sounds good. I think I'll try that tomorrow.

Shan
02-09-2007, 02:48 PM
Middle Eastern Sloppy Joe's sound good!

I cook about every night but nothing notable.

I make a turkey enchilada casserole, it's like a layered Mexican lasagna.
Italian Tortellini Salad is in the rotation.

Tonight is Meatless Moussaka w/ orzo, or Ramen if I don't feel like going through all that.

greyhair biker
02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
sounds good! - tonight(this afternoon cause Im on graves) was meatless stirfry...LOTS of veggies and Ramen....hey, Im easy to please :ne_nau:

Iceaxe
02-09-2007, 03:40 PM
What is your best recipe?

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol: Like I actually cook...

...I only get to eat dog biscuits.

stefan
02-09-2007, 04:02 PM
:lol8: :lol8:

savanna3313
02-09-2007, 05:29 PM
Not my best recipe (it would take too long to type that one out) but here is probably my quickest recipe that's really good.

3 ingredients

1 bottle of Italian style salad dressing
1 pack boneless/skinless chicken thighs (or breasts - but the thighs turn out better)
1 container of Italian style bread crumbs

Lay the chicken out in a shallow baking dish and coat each piece with the Italian dressing. Then, sprinkle the Italian bread crumbs over each piece. Bake at 350 for about 35 - 40 minutes.

Quick and yummy. :eat: Serve with garlic mashed potatoes and green beans or whatever you like.

JP
02-09-2007, 11:25 PM
Boiled toast :roflol:

greyhair biker
02-10-2007, 06:05 AM
Boy, I could REALLY murder some beer battered alaskan salmon and shrimp -cajun style :slobber1: and dirty rice.....SAVANNAH - you have a decent cajun shrimp recipe???? :hail2thechief:

savanna3313
02-10-2007, 08:55 AM
Boy, I could REALLY murder some beer battered alaskan salmon and shrimp -cajun style :slobber1: and dirty rice.....SAVANNAH - you have a decent cajun shrimp recipe???? :hail2thechief:

Ok.....just for you Wade. :nod: I am heading out the door for a few hours, but when I get back, I will dig out my Paul Prudhomme (he owns K-Paul's restaurant in the French Quarter) cookbook (signed by him I might add) :2thumbs: and type out the best of the best for a shrimp dish - or two.