PDA

View Full Version : Product Review Best All-around Headlamp?

utidcapaco
11-17-2006, 12:27 PM
:ne_nau:
I'm trying to decide which headlamp to get. I'd like to stay under $50. Intended use is general purpose (camping, hunting, canyoneering, hiking, emergency, etc.). I'd also prefer one with the battery compartment integrated in the lamp housing. Kyrell mentions his experience with the Petzl Tikka XP further down this forum. I'm considering that and three others. Anyone have experience with any of these? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance

1. Princeton Tec Eos
pros: long, focused beam, waterproof, regulated LED/constant brightness, lifetime warranty
cons: no ability to diffuse beam

2. Princeton Tec Quad
pros: battery meter, waterproof, regulated LED/constant brightness, large switch (good for gloved operation), lifetime warranty
cons: shorter, diffused beam

3. Petzl Tikka XP (or Taktikka XP)
pros: long beam AND diffused beam, lightweight, Taktikka has adapter kit (for helmet, belt, pack strap, etc.)
cons: LED not regulated (brightness fades), only water resistant, small switches, 3 year warranty

4. Black Diamond Spot
pros: long beam AND diffused beam, lightweight, regulated LED/constant brightness, large switch, ability to attach to belts & straps
cons: LED not regulated (brightness fades), only water resistant, some negative reviews indicate that it's cheaply made (in China), 3 year warranty

Glockguy
11-17-2006, 08:48 PM
#1 I have had mine for a while and love it.

asdf
12-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I know its not on the list but hands down best head lamp is the Petzl Duo. It like buying a HDTV, sucks when you pay for it ... but worth it when you use it.

It may be big and bulky but its waterproof and tuff as hell.
The 8 leds will put any other head lamp to shame.