PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Getting off the beaten path in National Parks

Brewhaha
11-12-2006, 06:30 PM
I've been looking at a Trails Illustrated map of Canyonlands and I see lots and lots and lots of canyons that don't have a road or trail into them. Can these canyons ever be explored? If you get a backcountry permit can you go wherever you like? What are the regulations?

There are many arches in Canyonlands that are in little side canyons and I would like to be able to visit them.

R
11-12-2006, 07:25 PM
At Guadalupe Mountains National Park this month, I saw lots of signs asking us to stay on the trails to preserve the delicate environment. (Nice engraved metal signs, too - see attached). At Canyonlands, they are very concerned about keeping us off the cryptobiotic soil crust. Other than that, they seem to welcome us to hike in the backcountry as long as we stay on slickrock or in the washes.

goofball
11-12-2006, 07:33 PM
which district ? i know needles district has some areas that are closed off as sensitive. same goes for the maze. no idea about iis. get w/ the district you wonder about, they will be the authority. our national parks and wilderness areas and public lands are full of beauty in every corner.

Scott P
11-13-2006, 07:20 AM
Can these canyons ever be explored?

Yes, they can.

If you get a backcountry permit can you go wherever you like?

No. Jasper Canyon, lower Elephant Canyon, Lower Salt Creek, and Virginia Park are closed to all travel.

What are the regulations?

Technical canyoneering is banned in the Davis/Lavender complex. Probably Horse Canyon too. It is very illegal to leave new slings and bolts in Canyonlands National Park.