PDA

View Full Version : Trails or Powder?

eauclaire
11-12-2006, 01:03 PM
So for some somewhat noobs at sledding, what's better and has more opportunities in Utah around Utah county?

From the East, the only stuff you can really do is trail ride, and maybe catch some drifts for powder.

I went with my wife's cousin to Fairview last May and got stuck in the powder about 10 times. I think I spent more than half the time digging myself out.

Anyway what I'm getting at is, I would like to buy some sleds but don't want to spend 6-8 Grand for a pair of powder sleds, when we could have just as much fun on some trail sleds for less than half of that. Thoughts?

shlingdawg
11-21-2006, 02:43 PM
Trails do nothing for me, it's all about the powder. You don't have to drop 6-7 G's for a nice powder sled, I would sure hate to see my nice expensive sled nose-dive into a tree or some other unfortunate event. Last year, I dropped just over $3K on a 2000 SkiDoo Summit High Mark 700. It has a 151" track and it goes everywhere I dare take it. I spent 3 days in the backcountry of Wyoming last year and had a great time in the powder. There is simply nothing quite like throwing your sled around sideways cutting through 3 feet of crystallyne powder! Trails are fun for about 3 minutes, then it's time to make your own tracks.

You can find 00-02 powder sleds for under 4 G's all day long.

The snow is coming! Get ready!!!!!!

Sombeech
11-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Trails do nothing for me, it's all about the powder.

I'm trying to get my uncle to wear my helmetcam next time he takes his sled out. That would be some cool footage.

shlingdawg
11-22-2006, 07:01 AM
Trails do nothing for me, it's all about the powder.

I'm trying to get my uncle to wear my helmetcam next time he takes his sled out. That would be some cool footage.

What would be way cool. :cool2: If it's too good of a powder day, all you would see is a snow cloud rushing past the camera. There have been times that I felt I was riding a submarine than a snowmobile. :2thumbs:

chabidiah
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Trail riding is ok but i agree that the powder is the only way to go. I have a 4 sleds and they are all 98's. They run great and anytime i need something fixed i take them to "Powerhouse Motorsports" in Pleasant Grove, they are the best around. they also sell sleds so maybe check with them on what would be best for you.