PDA

View Full Version : New to Utah

eauclaire
11-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey just stopping in to say hi.

My wife and I just moved to Utah last year from the East. She spent most of her life in Michigan, and I've spent 30 years in Ohio, New Jersey, Virginia, Michigan, and North Carolina.

Utah has a phenomenal variety of outdoor activities, and we plan to do all of them before we move again. :stud:

So we've picked up a 24' Toy Hauler camper and 2 '98 Polaris Scrambler 400's. We really dig trail riding, we've done a lot of that up Hobble Creek canyon. We've been out to 5 mile pass once, Moab (white cliffs trail?) once, and Sand Mountain a couple of times. We moved into Traverse Mountain in Lehi in February, but haven't had a chance to go riding up in AF Canyon. Does anyone know which trails to hit/miss up there?

We're also likely to get a couple snowmobiles and haven't decided to spend the big bucks and get long tracks for powder, or start with some cheaper ones for trail riding. Any good trails around here for that? Is Strawberry mostly powder, or are there good trails? We noticed that there are quite a few trails up towards Flaming Gorge, are they any good?

We also want to get into some backpack camping and exploring down south. We've never been to Bryce, and only driven into Zion.

So anyway. I'll likely be posting a lot stuff in the appropriate forums. See ya around.

Matt

Sombeech
11-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Sounds like you'll fit right in around here. :nod:
It's likely that many users here have the trail data you want. Looking forward to your trip reports. :2thumbs:

accadacca
11-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the group. This is the place!!! :lol8:

Anyway, good having lunch with you the other day. Just fire away with the questions and the uutah misfits will fill in the blanks. :2thumbs:

DiscGo
11-12-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey just stopping in to say hi.
We also want to get into some backpack camping and exploring down south. We've never been to Bryce, and only driven into Zion.

I took a friend from Washington to see Bryce and Zion about 3 months ago and he didn't seem to like it that much because of all the people. If you can go in Spring you'll have pretty good weather (it will still be a little cold), and it will be a lot less crowded. Anyway, that being said. I love the National Parks in Utah. The National Parks pass is a real bargain here.

When you do Zion, I would really recommend doing the "Narrows" "Subway" and "Angels Landing". They are the most famous attractions in Zion, and for good reason.

I don't know if you have a GPS but let me know before you go if you want any directions, coordinates, etc. I'd be happy to share any experience I might have.

P.S. My wife is from the Toledo area of Ohio. Are you guys OSU fans by any chance?

James_B_Wads2000
11-12-2006, 02:59 PM
Good to have you on board! If ATV's are your thing I would highly recommend the Paiute ATV Trail system in Central/South Central Utah. Hundreds of miles of trails over a dozen of mountain ranges. I don't ATV, but if I did this is where I would go. I have hiked in some of the areas and the wilderness quality is great.

Here is a trip report of mine of hiking in the Tushar Mountains (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2047) just off Paiute ATV Trail #1.

This is a great TR from Sombeech's parents riding the ATV trail around Bryce Canyon (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=990), again some of the most spectacular scenery in the state.

Redman is the ATV expert that stops by this forum every now and again. He can give you tons of advice on riding the Paiute trails.

James

rockgremlin
11-13-2006, 09:31 AM
"Narrows" :roflol: What an oxymoron! :roflol:

TreeHugger
11-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Welcome!

I'm from Michigan myself (Ann Arbor) - all my life until I moved here 4 years ago. Love it! (a little shocking at first, but we've settled in very nicely!)

Ratman
11-15-2006, 07:00 AM
Hello from another Michigander, also from the Ann Arbor area. It takes awhile to get use to the rules of the "Behave" state but the outdoors are unbeatable.

Say goodbye to the $25.00 pot fine and hello to 3.2% beer.

Mtnbiker
11-15-2006, 02:34 PM
'nother one from Ann Arbor, MI here (and my wife) and we love the same things you do about Utah. There's so much to do!

enjoy, and welcome :mrgreen: