PDA

View Full Version : new to utah (Ogden)

b-rad
11-08-2006, 08:48 PM
hi all, i have recently transplanted from the santa barbara area to Ogden. i saw on the ogden city website that there is a play boat park. i was wondering if it is running this time of year or if its too shallow, or if theres any good rivers in the surrounding area. not much of a creek boater but can hold my own in up to class 4 rapids, but i really just like to play around in surf waves. so i guess im looking for some paddling buddies. Im also big into the whole "freeride biking"scene and i dabble in some bouldering as well, if there is any one in the ogden area free to show me around it would be awesome. thanks.

tanya
11-08-2006, 08:57 PM
hi all, i have recently transplanted from the santa barbara area to Ogden. i saw on the ogden city website that there is a play boat park. i was wondering if it is running this time of year or if its too shallow, or if theres any good rivers in the surrounding area. not much of a creek boater but can hold my own in up to class 4 rapids, but i really just like to play around in surf waves. so i guess im looking for some paddling buddies. Im also big into the whole "freeride biking"scene and i dabble in some bouldering as well, if there is any one in the ogden area free to show me around it would be awesome. thanks.

Welcome to the group Brad! I only tried kayaking once --- last summer and it was a blast! You will find lots of biking types in here. :nod:

Alex
11-09-2006, 05:02 AM
welcome b-rad. We don't have too many white water lovers on this forum. There are a lot bigger mailing lists and forums out there for Utah kayakers, just google some. There is a yahoo group called [utahrafters] that is very active on the rivers and water levels in Utah.

Right now the water levels are very low all over the northern Utah rivers. There is Weber Canyon that is kayakable. Most of the white water happens down south though (Colorado, Green, San Juan rivers)

accadacca
11-09-2006, 06:06 AM
Welcome to the group. There are a bunch of Ogdenites on this forum and we call them the Ogden Posse. They should pop on and answer any questions that you may have. :2thumbs:

utidcapaco
11-09-2006, 06:44 AM
Welcome! My brother and I used to live in Salt Lake but had roots in Ogden. We spent a lot of time up there kayaking. There are two play parks and several great runs in the area. Here's a link to park maps and directions and semi-local runs:
http://my.opposablethumb.com/mdege/uwc/tripsnpics/trips.html

Here's the Utah Whitewater Club's page:
http://www.utahwhitewaterclub.org/
You can get to their message board from there and post any questions.

A few other runs are nearby. Check out http://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/River/state-summary/state/ut, then look at the Weber and Ogden (including South Fork) rivers for nearby runs. Anything from class I-V. Both whitewater parks are great. The Ogden one starts coming in at about 250+ cfs. The Riverdale one gets good at just under 1000. Unfortunately, things won't start flowing until around March, so enjoy your bike and get a pair of skis.
:mrgreen:

Reply here or send me an e-mail if you want more whitewater info.

Brent

Sombeech
11-09-2006, 07:41 AM
Welcome to the board, b-rad. I'm from the Ogden area, and have wanted to get into kayaking for a while.

I only know of a couple of places in Ogden where people run the river. One is near the mouth of the canyon on 12th Street, near the waterfall. The other place is just past Morgan on the Weber River. I'm always seeing people running that.

As far as the rating goes, I can't tell you that one. It's probably not too high.

b-rad
11-11-2006, 08:25 AM
thanks for the replys guys. yeah i figured kayak season was over but oh well. i went up to the boulder fields above ogden last night and ran through a few problems. its a nice area up there.