PDA

View Full Version : Puerto Penasco for the Holidays

Brewhaha
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM
We're thinking of going to Puerto Penasco (aka Rocky Point) for Christmas. Has anyone been there? Any good things to do or see? Places to hike? :bandit:

rockgremlin
11-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Ya, I went there with my wife and a few others about 5 years ago. It's a long drive. There isn't much in the way of outdoor recreation there, unless it's on the beach or in the water!

It's kind of a dumpy little Mexican town, but the beaches are pretty good, and the water is really pretty. There are a few good seafood restaurants there too.

Apparently, bathing suits are optional if you venture far enough down the beach. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

You should have fun. I'd do it again if I had the chance. :2thumbs:

greyhair biker
11-11-2006, 02:36 PM
I've been thinking about this place too and it sounds like if youre not picky and watch what you drink you'd be okay. What are the locals like? hotels?Can you fly anywhere close or is that just not an option?

rockgremlin
11-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I've been thinking about this place too and it sounds like if youre not picky and watch what you drink you'd be okay. What are the locals like? hotels?Can you fly anywhere close or is that just not an option?

Not too many hotels. We stayed at a beach house -- which are very common down there. I don't think there are any airports close to there. It's just a little town. Maybe population 10,000 give or take a few thousand during the peak seasons. The locals are Mexicans. :lol8: Some of them speak pretty good english, just because they interact with tourists every day. Many locals make their living from walking up and down the beaches selling trinkets.

greyhair biker
11-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Thanks! I've been looking here for years actually and just havent met anyone whos' been there recently

erial
11-14-2006, 06:41 AM
Been there twice. Just day trips from Organ Pipe NM where there are plenty of places to hike. Bring pliers to remove cactus spines.