PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving week - suggestions?

TreeHugger
11-03-2006, 03:01 PM
We've gone to Zion the last 2 years for Thanksgiving... want to do something different. 4 days. Any suggestions? We're thinking about maybe Paria Canyon area... never been there. Thanks!

tanya
11-03-2006, 03:15 PM
We've gone to Zion the last 2 years for Thanksgiving... want to do something different. 4 days. Any suggestions? We're thinking about maybe Paria Canyon area... never been there. Thanks!

Paria Canyon is awesome. Everyone heads to the Wave, but I like South Coyote Buttes even better. If you go to the Wave look for the dinosaur tracks and Melody Arch.

Info -- ask if you have any questions. Shane knows that area well too I believe.

Web Info
http://www.zionnational-park.com/coyote-buttes.htm

St. George Today Magazine - It has an article on the Wave Bo and I wrote.
http://www.stgeorgetoday.com/

Both have the directions to Melody Arch and the Tracks. The net link has info on South Coyote Buttes as well.

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/album2/images/the_wave_s_jpg.jpg

Scott P
11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
Hackberry is a good canyon in the Paria area.

The main Paria hike itself varies year to year on how much wading there is on Thanksgiving. It can be shallow, but I've heard stories of lots of wading at that time of year.

Iceaxe
11-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I think we might head to Cedar Mesa. The temps are down and it makes hiking to the Anasazi Ruins really nice. Lots of nice hikes from really easy to really hard.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/monarch6.jpg

TreeHugger
11-04-2006, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Tanya, that is a really great photo.

I like the idea of Cedar Mesa as well, I havent been there either. Hiking to the ruins is one day - what else is in the area?

asdf
11-04-2006, 03:04 PM
[quote="tanya"Everyone heads to the Wave, but I like South Coyote Buttes even better. If you go to the Wave look for the dinosaur tracks and Melody Arch.[/quote]

Sorry to get off topic but dont you need permits to hike the wave? I have been trying to get some but they are always sold out.

stefan
11-04-2006, 03:17 PM
there are online lottery permits and walk-in (day before) permits. if you go at opening the previous morning of the day you would like to go out, you can get a chance to get some of 10 walk-in permits. the earlier you get there the better and opening is the best time. so have something planned and nearby for after you get the permits this time of year it's very possible to get walk in permits. thanks giving? not so sure. south coyote buttes are much easier to get permits for than the north.

the whole area is well worth it.

Scott P
11-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Cedar Mesa is indeed great, but keep in mind that it has some of the higher elevation canyons in the area. Roads and snowfall can be "iffy" durning Thanksgiving time. Some years are great, some are snowy.

The Grand Gulch Ranger Station or Natural Bridges, for example are around 2700 feet higher than say Moab and 3000 feet or so higher than Lake Powell. Usually, it's not a problem, but keep an eye on the weather forecast. I've seen 1-1.5 feet of snow on the ground in the Monticello area during Thanksgiving. It's not really normal though.

Still, on average, keep in mind that Thanksgiving is usually colder on Cedar Mesa than it is in Salt Lake City, for example. Not true of the lower canyons closer to where they meet the San Juan River, though.

tanya
11-06-2006, 10:00 AM
[quote="tanya"Everyone heads to the Wave, but I like South Coyote Buttes even better. If you go to the Wave look for the dinosaur tracks and Melody Arch.

Sorry to get off topic but dont you need permits to hike the wave? I have been trying to get some but they are always sold out.[/quote]

You do, but usually if you show up before 9am in person you can get them. Its a pain for those that dont live nearby though. Usually even if the Wave permits are taken you can still get into South Coyote Buttes.

tanya
11-06-2006, 10:03 AM
there are online lottery permits and walk-in (day before) permits. if you go at opening the previous morning of the day you would like to go out, you can get a chance to get some of 10 walk-in permits. the earlier you get there the better and opening is the best time. so have something planned and nearby for after you get the permits this time of year it's very possible to get walk in permits. thanks giving? not so sure. south coyote buttes are much easier to get permits for than the north.

the whole area is well worth it.

We have even showed up at the BLM the day we wanted to hike and got permits. I know online permits are almost impossible to get, but like Stefan says, try the walk-in permits. If you go to South Coyote Buttes, go in a good 4WD. You will love it!

Iceaxe
11-06-2006, 12:17 PM
I like the idea of Cedar Mesa as well, I havent been there either. Hiking to the ruins is one day - what else is in the area?

You could spend a lifetime in Cedar Mesa hiking to ruins, arches and rock art and never see it all. I hike the area during winter all the time. Lots of cool stuff right off the main roads and the snow is never more then a couple of inches. There should be no snow over thanksgiving if things stay normal. The area around Butler Wash is usually about 5 to 10 degrees warmer then the stuff up on top arond the Ranger station. But when hiking the temperature is never an issue with my family unless its too hot.

:cool2:

Scott P
11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
But when hiking the temperature is never an issue with my family unless its too hot

I agree with Shane, but my post was directed only at those whom might think of heading South to escape the cold of SLC. Cedar Mesa is usually slightly colder than SLC in November, for example, but not true in the sections of the canyons closer to the San Juan River.

Thanksgiving is still a good time and I go there every year in winter (my next trip is the first week of December). It's still warmer than where I live for sure and warmer than the mountains (but not warmer than SLC).

Late Fall is usually a great time to go.

Lots of cool stuff right off the main roads and the snow is never more then a couple of inches. There should be no snow over thanksgiving if things stay normal.

I would disagree with some of this part though. Never say never. Usually maybe, but Natural Bridges and Kan Gulch Ranger Station averages 4.2 and 6.0 inches of snow in an "average" November. Up to 20 inches has fallen in November at the Natural Bridges weather station. If things stay "normal" there should be a few inches of snow in most of the shaded areas, but in some years there is none at all. Some years have quite a bit though. I'm talking on the rim though, and as you point out lower elevations are much drier.

I agree that usually it is very nice down there. :2thumbs:

But when hiking the temperature is never an issue with my family unless its too hot.

Hey, how come when I invited you to camp at 14,000 feet with us last January, you said it was too cold. :ne_nau: We're doing it on December 22-23 this year (mount Sherman 14,036 feet). :cold: Interested? You are invited! :2thumbs:

Iceaxe
11-06-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey, how come when I invited you to camp at 14,000 feet with us last January, you said it was too cold. :ne_nau: We're doing it on December 22-23 this year (mount Sherman 14,036 feet). :cold: Interested? You are invited! :2thumbs:

Camping and hiking are two different things. I like motels in winter. Best of all they are usually really cheap that time of year. Hard to beat $30 a night :2thumbs:

Its not the cold I really hate about winter camping, its the long nights.

:nod:

Scott P
11-06-2006, 03:05 PM
Its not the cold I really hate about winter camping, its the long nights.

I'm the same. Plan is to have a PG rated party up there to kill the long night, if we can get enough people together.

Anyway, speaking of hotels, Moab used to have great deals starting November 1. Recently they seem to have all changed it to December 1 as November is no longer off-season in Moab (at least the motels I checked). :angryfire:

Luckily most of the other towns in the area still offer discounted rates for November, at least for now.

Iceaxe
11-06-2006, 03:14 PM
I stayed in Green River a couple weeks ago for $29. Next weekend we have a condo rented in Moab that sleeps 8 and rents for $165 a night, that's pretty cheap. RedRock is about $54 a night right now for two beds. The Moab prices do drop again later in the year to $34 a night.

When prices get to the point that I can split a room for 25 or 30 bucks a night I'm not going to mess with camping and camping gear. Particularly when I can sit in Eddies on Saturday night, drink beer, watch college football, eat good food and flirt with the mountain bike chicks. :stud:

Heck.... a couple weeks ago I almost got to became an honorary member of the All-Lesbian mountain bike team. :naughty:

Scott P
11-06-2006, 03:59 PM
RedRock is about $54 a night right now for two beds. The Moab prices do drop again later in the year to $34 a night.

Back in the "good old days" (actually only a couple years ago) rates used to be discounted to rock bottom in most places in Moab starting November 1. Now it seems to be December 1 before they bottom out.

The Virginian is $89 now, but drops to $29.90 December 1. Not bad for a full kitchen stove and full fridge and freezer, two queens, etc. See below:

http://www.moab-utah.com/virginian/motel.html

Yep, I'm cheap and seldom fork out the money for a motel unless it drops down to really cheap. :2thumbs: Otherwise, it's tentin' it or backpacking.

TreeHugger
11-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for all the insight, guys, very helpful. We just bought a Vanagon camper and would like to take it for it's maiden voyage... will it be able to travel the roads to these places?

Scott P
11-06-2006, 05:10 PM
will it be able to travel the roads to these places?

Which places? The majoity of places for sure, but not all.

stefan
11-06-2006, 05:36 PM
Thanks for all the insight, guys, very helpful. We just bought a Vanagon camper and would like to take it for it's maiden voyage... will it be able to travel the roads to these places?

nice wheels :2thumbs:

bon voyage! eclipsee_steering

Sombeech
11-06-2006, 06:43 PM
We just bought a Vanagon camper

You ARE a TreeHugger, aren't you! :lol8: ...not that there's anything wrong with that. Those things are fun.

Shan
11-07-2006, 11:53 AM
I'm going to have to read this post next November so we can go somewhere!

stefan
11-07-2006, 01:09 PM

You ARE a TreeHugger, aren't you! :lol8: ...not that there's anything wrong with that. Those things are fun.

they rock :2thumbs:

some close family friends of mine, on two occasions (once in the 80s and once in the 90s) went to germany to buy a vanagon. then spent the entire summer traveling through the whole of europe, then had the vanagon shipped by boat/truck back to salt lake.

TreeHugger
11-07-2006, 05:48 PM

:hippy: Yep! I dont mess around with my treehuggin' peacenikin' liberal lovin' mother nature worshipin' mentality! heehee. LOL. Maybe I'm not quite that far out, but damn, that vanagon is pretty dang groovy! :banana:

Always wanted one. ( I figured Stefan would appreciate it! )

Hug a tree,
K

Iceaxe
11-08-2006, 07:26 AM
Don't forget to replace the VW badges with peace symbols :lol8:

http://www.nonukesnorth.net/images/Symbol.gif

accadacca
11-08-2006, 08:56 AM
Yeah, got any room in that shaggin' wagon. :lol8:

TreeHugger
11-08-2006, 04:04 PM
Don't forget to replace the VW badges with peace symbols :lol8:

http://www.nonukesnorth.net/images/Symbol.gif

:haha: I'm on it!!

:hippy:

greyhair biker
11-13-2006, 03:00 PM
What an awesome Van! Mine was the tan model...83' diesel 1.6L - sadly, it's dead now but what do you do :ne_nau: