PDA

View Full Version : Window Blind Peak November 4-5?

Scott P
10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
If anyone is interested in climbing Window Blind Peak in the Swell, just let me know.

ajroadtrips
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Scott,

Are you headed up the north rib? I did it last fall. I would recommend parking off the Mexican Mountain road across from it, and wading the river. That seemed to work well for us on the approach. I've heard some guidebooks describe hiking in from the west, but have heard it is much slower than the Mexican Mountain approach.

We took a light rack of cams. Sort of runout on poor rock, but easy climbing. You'll probably need 2 ropes for the rap. The views from the top are amazing!

Have fun!
deserthiker

Scott P
10-30-2006, 03:56 PM
Are you headed up the north rib?

Yes, that one. We probably won't be wading the river, but will be coming from the west. I assume the North Rib is pretty obvious and the one that shows on the topo map?

PS, have you done Assembly Hall?

ajroadtrips
10-31-2006, 03:29 PM
Yes, the north rib is obvious, and a stunning line. (on really poor rock) The first pitch is 5.5 or so, and puts you at a saddle right before the arete. Second pitch is 5.7R or so, and puts you on a huge ledge. We un-roped here, and scrambled around to the right and up to the summit. (very easy)

No, I haven't done Assembly Hall yet, but it is HIGH on my list. At 5.10, seems more challenging. If you end up giving it a go sometime, let me know. I might be interested. I was looking at the Heavy Metal route up there awhile back in the guidebook. To much to do, to little time!

deserthiker

Udink
10-31-2006, 06:35 PM
If anyone is interested in climbing Window Blind Peak in the Swell, just let me know.
I'll be about 13 miles away, climbing the top of the San Rafael Reef, but I'll bring my binoculars and maybe I'll see you up there. I climbed to the top of the Reef this past weekend and could clearly see Bottleneck and Window Blind peaks, plus an excellent view of the upper and lower Black Boxes. Wish I could be there. :lol:

Scott P
11-01-2006, 07:01 AM
No, I haven't done Assembly Hall yet, but it is HIGH on my list. At 5.10, seems more challenging. If you end up giving it a go sometime, let me know. I might be interested.

I would go anytime if you lead it. :haha: I'm not even close to leading something like that, but have cleaned 5.10 before.

ajroadtrips
11-14-2006, 09:27 AM
Did you end up giving WindowBlind a go? If so, how was it?

Scott P
11-14-2006, 03:38 PM
We didn't make the summit and we packed up and after that we went home after it started snowing.:angryfire:

Anyway, some photos are below:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/244111/window-blind-peak-november-11.html

Anyway, I'll be heading down there again for the summit.

Cirrus2000
11-15-2006, 01:48 AM
We didn't make the summit and we packed up and after that we went home after it started snowing.:angryfire:

Anyway, some photos are below:

http://www.summitpost.org/album/244111/window-blind-peak-november-11.html

Anyway, I'll be heading down there again for the summit.
Wow - fantastic photos. The scrambling looks really nice. So you made it to the "big ledge" past the 5.7R? Runouts scare me more since becoming a parent - even at a 5.7...