PDA

View Full Version : History Buffs Question

shagster
10-26-2006, 11:25 AM
What historic event of the Wild West occured this day in 1881? :ne_nau: Anyone know the answer? Let's see how good you are, goodluck! :2thumbs:

BrainDamage
10-26-2006, 11:28 AM
The battel at the O.K. Corral.

KillEmAll
10-26-2006, 11:30 AM
Oh, crap is it Iceaxe's birthday already? I haven't gotten him anything.

shagster
10-26-2006, 11:32 AM

I guess that was too easy. I have always been fascinated by Wyatt Earp, in fact I think he is one of my all time favorite people of the past.

BrainDamage
10-26-2006, 11:41 AM

I guess that was too easy. I have always been fascinated by Wyatt Earp, in fact I think he is one of my all time favorite people of the past.

Same here, I have a fascination with the old west especially the Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies. I have written several paper about this event since the 6th grade. I actually have a reprint of the newspaper from 10/27/2006 that talks about the event.

jumar
10-26-2006, 12:32 PM
"I'm your huckleberry..."
:2thumbs:

Iceaxe
10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
I have done a bunch of research on the old west. Lots of it on the outlaws and gunfighters. Interesting stuff.

My favorite Utah boys are probably Matt Warner and Butch Cassidy. You run into lots of their history hiking around Utah.

Favorite gunfighters to study are probably Texas Ben Thompson and John Wesley Harden

:2guns:

Wasatch Rebel
10-26-2006, 01:27 PM
I have done a bunch of research on the old west. Lots of it on the outlaws and gunfighters. Interesting stuff.

I've done quite a bit of study on that stuff too. You ever actually been to Tombstone?

savanna3313
10-26-2006, 02:08 PM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Now THAT'S funny!!!!! :2thumbs: I know it's meant in jest and all......but it was damn funny. :lol8:

savanna3313
10-26-2006, 02:12 PM

Same here, I have a fascination with the old west especially the Tombstone is one of my all time favorite movies. I have written several paper about this event since the 6th grade. I actually have a reprint of the newspaper from 10/27/2006 that talks about the event.

Tombstone is my favorite western too. :2thumbs: I have the movie poster framed and hanging in my family room. I have a friend who is working on a book (history related) about the city and its legends. He's also working on another book about a famous Texas Ranger who is known for killing Bonnie and Clyde.

Here's another history question for the day: Name that TX Ranger

Scott P
10-26-2006, 02:18 PM
My favorite Utah boys are probably Matt Warner and Butch Cassidy. You run into lots of their history hiking around Utah.

I know of two signatures on the canyon walls from Matt Warner, but have only heard of ones from Butch. Any idea where the ones from Butch are? I heard some are in the Swell and Book Cliffs.

PS, hiking in Utah isn

greyhair biker
10-26-2006, 02:20 PM
Chuck Norris is the only texas ranger, he just allows others to live & they must be rangers too :hail2thechief:

KillEmAll
10-26-2006, 02:28 PM

:roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

Now THAT'S funny!!!!! :2thumbs: I know it's meant in jest and all......but it was damn funny. :lol8:

Yes, it was in jest... I just couldn't resist. :haha:

Iceaxe
10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
I know of two signatures on the canyon walls from Matt Warner, but have only heard of ones from Butch. Any idea where the ones from Butch are? I heard some are in the Swell and Book Cliffs.

I've seen some pictures of Cassidy's signature in the North Swell, they have some prints of it at the Cleveland Dino dig in their Black Book, but I'm not sure exactly where it is and I have yet to find anyone who can tell me.

I have a GPS waypoint for the Warner signature in Buckhorn wash. That is the only signature of his I know of. Where is the other?

:cool2:

shagster
10-26-2006, 03:15 PM
[quote=shagster][quote=BrainDamage]The battel at the O.K. Corral.

Was it Frank Hamer?

Iceaxe
10-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Porter Rockwell "The Destroying Angel" is anther colorful gunfighter with deep Utah history that I enjoy researching. Ol' Port's hotel and brewery were located only a couple of miles from my house.

http://www.ldsces.org/inst_manuals/dc-in/images/127.gif

Sombeech
10-26-2006, 08:36 PM

Oh hell, there isn't an emoticon to show me laughing and shaking my head side to side, with my hand over my face.

savanna3313
10-26-2006, 10:04 PM
[quote=shagster][quote=BrainDamage]The battel at the O.K. Corral.

Was it Frank Hamer?

Bingo! :2thumbs:

savanna3313
10-26-2006, 10:06 PM
Porter Rockwell "The Destroying Angel" is anther colorful gunfighter with deep Utah history that I enjoy researching. Ol' Port's hotel and brewery were located only a couple of miles from my house.

Seems like I read somewhere that he kept his hair long because he believed it was his source of power and strength (like Sampson in the Old Testament).

shagster
10-27-2006, 05:25 AM

Seems like I read somewhere that he kept his hair long because he believed it was his source of power and strength (like Sampson in the Old Testament).

Hey I think Somebeech has that same idea. Is that the case for you Somebeech? :roflol:

Iceaxe
10-27-2006, 07:41 AM

In addition to his gun slinging, Rockwell is also known for his long hair. He kept his hair long because of a promise made to him by Prophet Joseph Smith.

[i]

Sombeech
10-27-2006, 08:55 AM
Samson was a Nazarite. This was a certain sect, or calling among the Jews. They showed their devotion to their covenant by doing many things, including growing their hair long. This was actually considered a sacrifice. He's the most famous one, although there were very many of them.

O.P. Rockwell was given the blessing of a Nazarite. Some say he was given the "blessing of Samson", but it was more like holding the covenant of the Nazarite. Samson's name was never officially associated with Rockwell.

And yes, it would be cool to "self appoint" myself as a Nazarite and grow my long hair, but that would mean the long hair was a sacrifice, which it is not. There were other aspects like "living in the temple", and "not marrying outside of the covenant".

Definition of Nazarite:
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=142&letter=N&search=nazarite

Scott P
10-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I have a GPS waypoint for the Warner signature in Buckhorn wash. That is the only signature of his I know of. Where is the other?

I don't know of the one in Buckhorn, but there is one in Wild Horse Creek and one in Spring Canyon, both in the Swell.

Iceaxe
10-27-2006, 10:00 AM
Here is info on Matt's Buckhorn signature.

http://www.castlecountry.com/what_to_do/outlaws.html

I would be interested in how to located the other two signatures. You can PM me if its something you would prefer not to broadband.

greyhair biker
10-27-2006, 03:02 PM
My late grandma Meyers claimed to have been somehow related to Porter Rockwell but I haven't been able to actually prove it yet. Her relations once owned a big chunk of the wasatch front but sold alot of it...crazy I know! - I would have kept the land...I'd probably still live down there if I had it! :frustrated: