PDA

View Full Version : Heaps conditions - short.

Scott Card
10-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Long version to follow as soon as I figure out how to down load photos and post them.

Conditions: Heaps is tippy top full with a slight flow. Water is cooold. Air temps Friday at about 1:00 p.m. at the West Rim trail head were about 45 degrees. Temp at Phantom Valley at 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning was 25 degrees. In the slot section of Heaps, temps never got over about 40-42 degrees in the sun. The road from Lava Point to the trail head was still wet (big puddles in spots)and had some nice holes and ruts in spots. No problem for the Tundra. There was a car at the trail head that made it.

Big Thanks to Spiderman/Lefty Steve for setting a blistering pace to
avoid the dark both days and for his skill in the canyon. And to my
brother Kevin who went first and successfully dealt with an unseen
surprise knot in the rope about 150 feet off the deck on the final
rap. Good partners make a HUGE difference.

I'm a little tired and a little sore today but sportin' a big ole
smile. :smile:

Scott Card

Alex
10-23-2006, 12:07 PM
Very cool Scott! You might want to check out this site for hosting pictures

http://picasa.google.com/

tanya
10-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Long version to follow as soon as I figure out how to down load photos and post them.

Conditions: Heaps is tippy top full with a slight flow. Water is cooold. Air temps Friday at about 1:00 p.m. at the West Rim trail head were about 45 degrees. Temp at Phantom Valley at 7:00 a.m. Saturday morning was 25 degrees. In the slot section of Heaps, temps never got over about 40-42 degrees in the sun. The road from Lava Point to the trail head was still wet (big puddles in spots)and had some nice holes and ruts in spots. No problem for the Tundra. There was a car at the trail head that made it.

Big Thanks to Spiderman/Lefty Steve for setting a blistering pace to
avoid the dark both days and for his skill in the canyon. And to my
brother Kevin who went first and successfully dealt with an unseen
rap. Good partners make a HUGE difference.

I'm a little tired and a little sore today but sportin' a big ole
smile. :smile:

Scott Card

Awesome! So ... tell us more highlights! :popcorn:

Scott Card
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Very cool Scott! You might want to check out this site for hosting pictures

http://picasa.google.com/

Thanks, I will try it. This is my first attempt at this stuff. I am coming into the digital photo age kicking and screaming.

Awesome! So ... tell us more highlights!

I will! I will! :nod: I have to catch up on some work and figure out technology. We had some funny stuff happen before, during, and after the hike so I will hopefully not bore anyone too much with the details. I must say, Heaps is everything it is advertised to be. Not for the faint of heart-- physically or mentally.

stefan
10-23-2006, 06:07 PM

may the force be with you :comppunch:

Kevin who went first and successfully dealt with an unseen
rap.

:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: