PDA

View Full Version : Wild horse creek.

asdf
10-21-2006, 03:58 PM
q

Cirrus2000
10-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Great photos - thanks for sharing. It's a shame you had to cut the trip short - hope your boy's feeling better.

Love the straight-on close-up shot of the water running over the rock; great textures. And, of course, the "wild stud" shot is a classic!

James_B_Wads2000
10-21-2006, 05:42 PM
In the morning we hiked up Little Horse Creek for a warm up.

Do you mean Wild Horse Creek? That's what it looked like in your pics. Great pics by the way. I remember taking my daughter down there when she was little. Great memories!

James

asdf
10-21-2006, 06:03 PM
In the morning we hiked up Little Horse Creek for a warm up.

Do you mean Wild Horse Creek? That's what it looked like in your pics. Great pics by the way. I remember taking my daughter down there when she was little. Great memories!

James

Wild Horse Creek is right. I was pretty close.

Reedus
10-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Some peole just have talent with a camera. Wish I was one of them.
Great shots dude.

asdf
10-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Does anyone know what the legal status is on riding mountain bikes on the Reef around Wild Horse Creek or Temple Mountain?
I know its W.S.a. but are you allowed to ride the slick rock there?

stefan
10-22-2006, 09:18 AM
my understanding was that mountain bikes are required to follow the same rules as motorize vehicles and only travel on existing roads.

i am sure scott will pipe in with the precise rules.

nice photos by the way! beautiful weather too.

Udink
10-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Does anyone know what the legal status is on riding mountain bikes on the Reef around Wild Horse Creek or Temple Mountain?
I know its W.S.a. but are you allowed to ride the slick rock there?
According to the BLM's FAQ (http://www.blm.gov/nlcs/wsa/faq.htm) on the subject:

Off-highway vehicles and bicycles may be used on designated routes. This use does not require any special permit or authorization. Cross-country travel with off-highway vehicles or bicycles is not allowed.
So it sounds like even though you'd be riding on a durable surface, it still wouldn't be allowable.

fouristhenewone
10-22-2006, 02:25 PM
My wife and I were the "rest of the party", and might I add the life of the party as well. :)

We went with summit up Wild Horse Creek, and then after they headed off, went out first towards Crack Canyon on Chute Canyon Road. About 500 yards after the wash that runs down into the top of Wild Horse Creek, there was a second wash that was competely undriveable, at least to me and my Durango (sorry no pics). After that, we decided to make our way up Little Wild Horse Canyon. We made it through the second set of Narrows, and got stopped by some thigh deep water. (We knew it was that deep, because we met a couple of people who waded on through.) At that point, we turned around, as it was getting a little later in the day. We started to drive out towards Ding and Dang, but got stopped not far from the Little Wild Horse trailhead by some serious mud. I got out and walked it, and decided against going on. Luckily, I was vindicated a little later when I heard a guy at the Goblin Valley fee station talking about how he had his Tacoma stuck axle deep in that very same mud. Anyhow, here's some pics from our trip.

asdf
10-22-2006, 05:26 PM
Nice Pics, Little Wild Horse looked fun. Was the behind the reef road graded at all? How was it up untill it was washed out?

fouristhenewone
10-22-2006, 06:12 PM
not at all. It was pretty wet, and didn't look like it had been graded since the storm, or if it had, there's been enough moisture to tear it up again. It wasn't horrible up until the point where we stopped.

DiscGo
11-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Nice pics