PDA

View Full Version : Invisibility is possible!

Sombeech
10-19-2006, 05:07 PM
SCIENTISTS CREATE CLOAK OF INVISIBILITY

Source Here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061019/ap_on_sc/cloak_of_invisibility)

In this first successful experiment, researchers from the United States and England were able to cloak a copper cylinder.... We have built an artificial mirage that can hide something from would-be observers in any direction.... "The cloak reduces both an object's reflection and its shadow, either of which would enable its detection," Smith said.

Wow! It's actually possible! This is something that almost everybody has imagined. I'm very impressed at the method they were able to do it.

We are only able to see objects because light is reflecting off of them. They have found a way to stop this reflection, even able to see through the object, and eliminate a shadow! :hail2thechief:

Sombeech
10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Here's a picture of the first invisible man!

http://www.endlesspower.net/Images/Halo/invisible.jpg

Now, if only they can get that cube down to pill size form.

But seriously, isn't this the main concept of invisibility, some kind of opaque image? In fact, the secret is nothing like that! It's stopping the light from reflecting, creating ABSOLUTE invisibility. I'm still amazed.

asdf
10-19-2006, 06:47 PM
snipes on timberland? I am so in.

stefan
10-19-2006, 06:49 PM
But seriously, isn't this the main concept of invisibility, some kind of opaque image? In fact, the secret is nothing like that! It's stopping the light from reflecting, creating ABSOLUTE invisibility.

so there are two aspects to it.

(1) light (more generally electromagnetic radiation) cannot reflect off of the object. if it does then such radiation will scatter off of the object. you can receive it as it's reflected back to you and you know there is something there.

(2) most crucially you need effectively be able to see through the object. this is what one normally might think of as an non-opaque object (or transparent) like clear glass.

BUT they are not doing this. if the object does not allow radiation to pass through it it's going to be VERY difficult to force it to go through it. (though technically radiation passes through everything just at a reduced amount).

Instead the way they are solving this problem is to bend the light around the object in such a way that a viewer on the opposite side of the object would receive the light in the same way as if the object is not there. (think of water flowing around a cylider without a turbulent wake). this is what eliminates the shadow effect which blocks light passing through and creates the opaqueness --- the silhouette.

they still have a bit of work to do, but it's definitely neat!

rockgremlin
10-20-2006, 07:45 AM
Amazing! I hope I live long enough to see it come to fruition. There are a lot of women's dressing rooms I'd like to "visit."

Sombeech
10-20-2006, 08:22 AM
Amazing! I hope I live long enough to see it come to fruition. There are a lot of women's dressing rooms I'd like to "visit."

The #1 item on Invisible Man's list. :cool2:
2nd is doorbell ditching (known also by another name)

RedMan
10-20-2006, 05:19 PM
A very serious study (funded by your government) asked the question:

If you could have one of these two super powers which whould you pick:
A: Inivisbility
b: Ability to fly

So what is your answer?

tanya
10-20-2006, 05:27 PM
A very serious study (funded by your government) asked the question:

If you could have one of these two super powers which whould you pick:
A: Inivisbility
b: Ability to fly

So what is your answer?

You might learn more than you really want or need to know if you have the ability to be invisible. I would choose to fly.

RedMan
10-20-2006, 05:39 PM
Tanya,

Okay so you can fly. What do you do with your new found ability?

tanya
10-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Tanya,

Okay so you can fly. What do you do with your new found ability?

Travel of course! Free travel and lots of it. I just need a credit card so I can buy new stuff at each location. Hawaii one day...... Jamaica the next, then NY then Utah..... travel would be unlimited. Just think! Everyone we meet on the internet we could just fly somewhere and meet in such a short time.

What would you do if you could fly?

tanya
10-20-2006, 05:51 PM
Is this your website or just one you like?
http://www.atvutah.com/

RedMan
10-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Just one I like.

If you could fly wouldn't that sort of ruin canyoneering for you?

tanya
10-20-2006, 06:03 PM
Just one I like.

If you could fly wouldn't that sort of ruin canyoneering for you?

Oh.. guess I should read the fine print at the bottom of the page. :cool2:

It might, but there are so many things to do in life, why limit myself to just canyoneering.

RedMan
10-20-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm. Well I have ridden my motorcycle at over 130mph.
Its pretty hard on the body.

How fast do you think you could realistically fly?

accadacca
10-20-2006, 08:12 PM
I think I would choose to fly as well. :ne_nau: I am sure that the guys on uutah will say, "ah yeah, sure dood." :lol8: It would really be cool and I love the sensation that you get on a motorcycles as well. The sound that my BMW R1150GS makes is really similar to an airplane when yer on the freeway. It is so smooth and soothing with the sound of the motor and the wind blowing by.... :ride:

tanya
10-21-2006, 07:41 AM
I think I would choose to fly as well. :ne_nau: I am sure that the guys on uutah will say, "ah yeah, sure dood." :lol8: It would really be cool and I love the sensation that you get on a motorcycles as well. The sound that my BMW R1150GS makes is really similar to an airplane when yer on the freeway. It is so smooth and soothing with the sound of the motor and the wind blowing by.... :ride:

That Avatar just does not do it for me either! You need one that looks more like you. Very handsome! :nod:

I could just see us all up there in suits and helmets flying all over the place. (which would protect the body as long as the landings are smooth) Maybe scientists will come up with some type of little jet pack so it will be a reality. I would have never thought it possible to be invisible, but time seems to change those impossible things often.

So I don't think we will have to choose. I think we will get both.

stefan
10-21-2006, 07:59 AM
okay, two things ...

first i would choose flying ANYDAY over invisibility. although i think the ideas behind invisibility are fascinating, soaring above craggy mountains or the canyons of southern utah, over and through the 100-300 foot tall forests from the californian to alaskan coasts or from island to ocean to island would be incredible and incredible for one's entire life. [though if i thought similarly about diverse social groups and circles it might be just as fun to eavesdrop upon the endless fascinating characters which privately inhabit the world.]

yeah ... flying gets my vote ... haven't y'all seen superman yet? that's the closest i have ever come to flying.

~~~~~~~~~~~

one note about this invisibility stuff. first of all they are in the process of making something invisible to any direction in 3D (which they theoretically know how to do) but their first stab at reality was only in 2D (looking at it from one direction). second and more importantly, their approach only makes something invisible to *microwaves* not visible light or any other electromagnetic waves. so YOU would be able to see it. the big challenge in the future would be to figure out a way to make something invisible to all visible light or beyond. because materials respond very differently to different wavelengths of light, it would be very hard to tune the material for all of them ... no simple task. but it would seem possible someday ...

nosivad_bor
10-21-2006, 10:09 AM
what I play this game with friends it's usually fly vs breathing under water, so I like the invisibility twist.

Invisibility really wouldn't have any practical advantage for me other than i could mess with people, but i think that would get old.

flying on the otherhand would be such a practical convenience as well as life saving feature. the thought that you can fly to hawaii is taking it too far. I decided when evaluating the flying syndrom for personal purposes that flying would have to exert as much energy as walking and as far as speed is concerned it would require the equivilant enery as running, though flying up was not equivilant to walking up steps but rather equal to level walking. i imposed these limitations so that the breathing underwater gig might have a little more appeal. also i think it keeps the mind from running wild. anyway there is still the straight line advantage so flying will usually be the most efficient way to travel. the more you do it the better shape you get in and the further you can go!

canyoneering would be really sweet, you can do the canyon then rise and and have a nice level fly back to the car, no slog!

:popcorn:

tanya
10-21-2006, 10:27 AM
okay, two things ...

first i would choose flying ANYDAY over invisibility. although i think the ideas behind invisibility are fascinating, soaring above craggy mountains or the canyons of southern utah, over and through the 100-300 foot tall forests from the californian to alaskan coasts or from island to ocean to island would be incredible and incredible for one's entire life. [though if i thought similarly about diverse social groups and circles it might be just as fun to eavesdrop upon the endless fascinating characters which privately inhabit the world.]

yeah ... flying gets my vote ... haven't y'all seen superman yet? that's the closest i have ever come to flying.

~~~~~~~~~~~

one note about this invisibility stuff. first of all they are in the process of making something invisible to any direction in 3D (which they theoretically know how to do) but their first stab at reality was only in 2D (looking at it from one direction). second and more importantly, their approach only makes something invisible to *microwaves* not visible light or any other electromagnetic waves. so YOU would be able to see it. the big challenge in the future would be to figure out a way to make something invisible to all visible light or beyond. because materials respond very differently to different wavelengths of light, it would be very hard to tune the material for all of them ... no simple task. but it would seem possible someday ...

Stefan! Time for a new avatar. I have never seen a man look less like a snowflake than you!

I should have read the article. It sounded far too good to be true.... yet :popcorn:

tanya
10-21-2006, 10:29 AM
what I play this game with friends it's usually fly vs breathing under water, so I like the invisibility twist.

Invisibility really wouldn't have any practical advantage for me other than i could mess with people, but i think that would get old.

flying on the otherhand would be such a practical convenience as well as life saving feature. the thought that you can fly to hawaii is taking it too far. I decided when evaluating the flying syndrom for personal purposes that flying would have to exert as much energy as walking and as far as speed is concerned it would require the equivilant enery as running, though flying up was not equivilant to walking up steps but rather equal to level walking. i imposed these limitations so that the breathing underwater gig might have a little more appeal. also i think it keeps the mind from running wild. anyway there is still the straight line advantage so flying will usually be the most efficient way to travel. the more you do it the better shape you get in and the further you can go!

canyoneering would be really sweet, you can do the canyon then rise and and have a nice level fly back to the car, no slog!

:popcorn:

The slog is the best part of canyoneering!

stefan
10-21-2006, 10:46 AM
Stefan! Time for a new avatar. I have never seen a man look less like a snowflake than you!

I should have read the article. It sounded far too good to be true.... yet :popcorn:

well, that particular article is very short on information.

aww, as far as another avatar, tanya, that IS a new one. it used to be only one of those flakes. but then i took some time to make the animation ... i guess i am kinda attached to it ... i really LOVE snowflakes they are so intricate and beautiful.

plus it's reflective of my yearning for snow during the summer and celebration of it during the winter.
http://forums.alpinezone.com/images/smilies/icon_snow.gif

RedMan
10-21-2006, 03:40 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong but aren't superpowers all about righting wrongs?
Defending the helpeless etc etc etc?

I don't recall any super heros named "Bob the flying tourist".

stefan
10-21-2006, 04:03 PM
ah well, so now looking back at your question you were trying to get at something more ...

hmm ...

you know superman had fun with his powers as a kid. then he grew up and realized to help the world was his calling. this is reflective of his character not the fact that he had superpowers. in fact ... evil villans who have superpowers wouldn't be helping anyone out.

so i would say that if it's in someone's character to do good, then he/she is more likely to use those superpowers to do good. some may not be so inspired to share their powers, and may only enjoy them for pleasure. others may use them to do bad.

i think science is the same way, science is like superpowers. depending on the intentions science can be used in positive or negative ways. but science on its own is indifferent.

asdf
10-21-2006, 04:07 PM
I would settle for snipes on timberland. :haha:

RedMan
10-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Stefan you are a man of thought.

"science is like superpowers" is the correct answer AND the real reason the study was done.

This posts original topic (before I hijacked it) is the science part of a superpower.

I find it very interesting that hardly anyone I have ever asked this question says they want the power of invisibility.

Why do you think that is?

I think it is because we initially think of the benefit to ourselves first AND we associate the idea of invisibility with devious acts that could never really be of benefit in the normal world.

greyhair biker
10-21-2006, 06:11 PM
I think most people have dreamt about flying, at least I do SO, first I'd like to fly....get that one on the list :nod: - I tend to think about 'mutant' abilities...being able to move/control things with your mind...Jean Grey sort of stuff SO..Acca, you're not so wierd I guess.

RedMan
10-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I fly all the time. Doing it myself does nothing for me.
As soon as I get my Ultralight I'll be set in that department.

Personally I would have to choose invisibility.

Not for the perverse reasons coursing through your head.

I think there a lot of dirty rotten SOBs that could be exposed if someone could get inside undetected. The old "I would like to have been a fly on the wall" scenario.

I would have taken care of Osama in 1993 and the first bomb we dropped in 1991 would have snuffed Sadaam and his rotten kids.

And that litte rat bastard in Korea would not be such a problem today. I'd spend a month whispering my best "W" imitations in his ear just as he tried to go to sleep until jumped out a window.

Of course I have things I'd like to whisper in Ws ear too. Like "Its NUCLEAR, not NUCULAR".

Oh Yeah, and we'd have much better pics of Tanya by now :twisted:

Doh, did I say that???

stefan
10-22-2006, 06:38 AM
I find it very interesting that hardly anyone I have ever asked this question says they want the power of invisibility.

Why do you think that is?

I think it is because we initially think of the benefit to ourselves first AND we associate the idea of invisibility with devious acts that could never really be of benefit in the normal world.

since a person might not give the question a considerable amount of thought, i would think first impressions are pretty strong. i am not sure if everyone's thinking of it exactly how you phrased it, but i would agree that it's one good underlying reasoning.

on the other hand, these devious acts are still devious, even if they are for the greater good. so, i would think, another strong underlying reasoning, related to what you mentioned, is that it goes against the privacy we believe we are rightful to in this country. although many realize this 'guarantee to privacy' is what allows for many devious acts to go unpunished or even unnoticed, they are unwilling to reliquish the right if it means potentially being subject to it. [of course not everyone feels this way].

i am sure there are other good subconscious reasons for one's initial response too.

Ross
10-22-2006, 11:14 PM
I would have picked invisibility. Not really sure why, just what occurred to me. Guess I prefer devious sort of things :ne_nau:

Seems like it would be far more entertaining, although, as has been said, it might get old.

My question about invisibility is would you be able to see yourself? That would make things difficult if you couldn't.

derstuka
10-26-2006, 07:07 PM
My question about invisibility is would you be able to see yourself? That would make things difficult if you couldn't.

Imagine trying to shave!!! Yikes!!! I guess you could use an electric shaver.

Well, I would probably choose precognition, but being able to influence people's minds would be a close second.