PDA

View Full Version : Shoot the weatherman?

Scott P
10-19-2006, 11:04 AM
Last Saturday, according to the NWS there was a 0% chance of rain or snow with sunny skies. We got dumped on with rain while out on our hike. Tuesday, 3-5 inches of snow was supposed to fall and the chance of snow was 90%. None fell. Today the forecast says sunny (and still does). It is snowing.

I can forecast the weather better by flipping a coin.

On another note, check out these two forecast for this winter:

http://www.noaanews.noaa.gov/stories2006/images/winter-outlook-2006-2007-update-temps2.jpg

http://www.farmersalmanac.com/forthepress/images/06-07USwintermap.jpg

Anyone notice any discrepancies between the two? :D Check out North Dakota for example.

Udink
10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I had the same problem on Saturday. The forecast called for a 30% chance of scattered showers, but instead it rained hard all day long. I'd planned to hike Sid's Mountain in the Swell, but with all the water running across the road, I had no intention of trying to cross North Salt Wash. We couldn't even get to within 5 miles of the trailhead 'cause the wet clay roads were worse than a sheet of ice.

I'd been looking at the Weather Channel's website for the forecast, which turned out to be wrong, but the NOAA station on the FRS radio actually turned out to be very accurate, but it didn't help me much after I'd already turned around to head back home. :)

stefan
10-19-2006, 11:20 AM
I'd been looking at the Weather Channel's website for the forecast, which turned out to be wrong, but the NOAA station on the FRS radio actually turned out to be very accurate, but it didn't help me much after I'd already turned around to head back home. :)

i have always thought that, considering the weather channel is based on the east coast, it's likely going to be more inaccurate for the west, in particular away from city centers.

NWS is based in Salt Lake, so ...

but weather is all over the place ... might as well get out the ol' eight-ball

moabfool
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
All of us that headed south last weekend should have headed north. A co-worker told me that it was 65 and sunny all weekend in Yellowstone. Do we start driving north to get warm? :ne_nau:

Scott P
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
Do we start driving north to get warm?

Apparently so. This month, the Hanksville and Capitol Reef areas have recieved 10 to 15 times the rainfall that Seattle has received all month. :2thumbs: