PDA

View Full Version : TR: Rained out in Canyonlands

James_B_Wads2000
10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Joel, Susan and I head out for Canyonlands last weekend. Our plan was to backpack one night in Chesler Park. We camped outside the park Friday night and awoke to steady rain Saturday morning. The rain ruined our mood and will to go backpacking. Plus we had planned to pick up a permit on Satuday only to find that all the backcounty permits were taken for Chesler Park and surrounding area. The ranger said that Canyonlands has recived over 6 inches of rain in October, it only averages 9 inches a year.

We went for a short hike called the Pothole loop then hit Newspaper Rock on the way out.

James

mroy
10-17-2006, 09:23 PM
Moab's been having one hell of a time with rain this year.

It sucks you got rained on, especially in October, and couldn't get permits. Normally it's the perfect time of year to be down there. Sweet pics though. If you head up in the right areas around there you can catch some cool after storm waterfalls coming off the tops of the cliffs.

Cirrus2000
10-17-2006, 09:35 PM
This:

http://uutah.com/forum/files/canyon_6__medium_.jpg

is one of my favourite photos yet here at uutah.com.

Probably an overdeveloped sense of rain and cloud-love, from being born and raised in Vancouver; I love the way the rock meets the clouds, and the wet rock adds so much texture and depth to the photo.

Also, nice resolution on the Newspaper Rock photos - shame about the crowds of old people.

Sorry to hear you were rained out, but thanks for the photos!

stefan
10-17-2006, 09:41 PM
ooo, i agree, great shot james.

thanks!

Sombeech
10-17-2006, 10:40 PM
This:

It's a nice one! Something about the jagged rocks shooting into the dark clouds. I may snag that for the Image Bar. Yep. I will. :nod:

Not tonight though, I gotta go to bed.

asdf
10-18-2006, 04:47 AM
I am going to jump on this bandwagon...
Excellent shot, one of the best I have seen up here.

accadacca
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
You da man James...and damn sexy too. :lol8:

James_B_Wads2000
10-20-2006, 09:32 AM
This:

Probably an overdeveloped sense of rain and cloud-love, from being born and raised in Vancouver; I love the way the rock meets the clouds, and the wet rock adds so much texture and depth to the photo.

Also, nice resolution on the Newspaper Rock photos - shame about the crowds of old people.

Sorry to hear you were rained out, but thanks for the photos!

Thank to everyone for the praise on the photos/photos. It

R
10-20-2006, 11:14 AM
I got rained out of the swell in March. Then in June, my son and I dealt with record heat for that month. But I'm looking at a Moab forecast for next week from the weather service and I'm feeling cautiously optimistic...

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 62. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming north.

Sunday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 32.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 64.

Monday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 36.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 66.

Tuesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 38.

Wednesday: Partly cloudy, with a high near 69.

Wednesday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 39.

Thursday: A slight chance of showers. Partly cloudy, with a high near 68.

Alex
10-20-2006, 11:31 AM
You couldn't ask for better weather in Moab! Hope you have a great time :2thumbs: