PDA

View Full Version : Rained Out: How to Decide?

utidcapaco
10-17-2006, 01:57 PM
:ne_nau:
I'm probably an intermediate canyoneer, but I still find myself questioning the weather. I remember getting very uneasy when it started to sprinkle in my first canyon ever (Pine Creek). I still get nervous when clouds start rolling in, especially when less-experienced group members are relying on my judgement. I know it's important to get a feel for the drainage area as well as keep my eyes peeled en-route for exits/high points, but do any of you have specific suggestions or "rules of thumb" that you use to avoid flash floods? More important than what to do in the slot is how to decide whether to start the slot in the first place. I'd appreciate any advice, no matter how subjective. Thanks!

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 03:01 PM
1. Drainage size is a big factor. Stuff that I would do in Zero Gravity I wouldn't even dream of doing in The Black Hole in inclement weather.

2. How "slotty" the canyon is. If there are long sections of slot with no escape, then the canyon is a no-go if the weather is questionable.

3. Temperature - clouds don't necessarily mean rain. But clouds plus a sharp drop in temperature usually means it's gonna rain. Look for another activity.

4. Late August is monsoon season. Try not to tackle anything that includes long sections of slot during the monsoon. Weather is really unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.

Those are a few that I use to keep out of harm's way.

Scott P
10-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Personally, I don't go into any slot canyon in the rain or when I think it is going to rain. I do a wide canyon instead. Luckily, all floods I have seen were when I was in a wide canyon.

Reedus
10-17-2006, 05:09 PM
What about the Squeeze Rock? Eric told me one hell of a story about you guys in the Squeeze during a downpour

Iceaxe
10-17-2006, 05:34 PM
OK.... I'm a freak.... sometimes we actually look for storms so we can do the canyon on the tail end of a flashflood.... we call it "Flashing".

The go or no-go depends on so many things, its hard to come up with set rules. I personally judge a canyon on feel..... if it doesn't feel right I skip it and move on to something else. As you gain more experience you will get better at judging conditions, until then if you have any question I suggest skipping the slot and live to play anther day.

:popcorn:

FOX
10-17-2006, 05:51 PM
What about the Squeeze Rock? Eric told me one hell of a story about you guys in the Squeeze during a downpour

Yeah, I remember that day. That was a fun one.

At the time (this was about 6 years ago) the Squeeze was one of the technical slots that Rock and I had on our to-do list. That particular summer we had attempted to run it several different times but we always got rained out. Now it was August and we decided "hell with it". Not the safest of attitudes to have, I know.

The night we drove down it rained and thundered the entire time. Lightning could be seen for miles. We all knew that it was going to be wet, wet, wet. The next morning the muddy was flowing like I have never seen it. Waist deep at about half of the crossing points. We had to hold hands and cross in small groups at times to maintain our footing. This should have been our first clue...but the sky was clear, it was warm and we were finally on our way.

By the time we reached the drop in point there were some dark clouds brewing way off in the distance. Far enough away, we thought, that we could be done with the canyon by the time any storm could hit. We dropped in and went for it.

The first couple of hours were a lot of fun and then we began hearing thunder. Game faces went on and it was a mad dash to get through the narrows. We were fortunate that all of the potholes were full of water from the night before which made them easy to navigate and also coined memorable phrases like "They're all chest deep, just go!!". By the time we reached the first big rap, the rain hit. This rap drops into the only part of the canyon wide enough to find higher ground until the exit. All of us managed to make it down but by this time it was a full on downpour. The canyon came alive with waterfalls and I remember thinking to myself that I'll probably never see it this way again. All of us knew that the impending flood was in the mail but the fact that we were in a spot that provided some safety, lulled us into a false sense of security.

Chuck was the last guy down and he had just finished coiling the rope when the damn burst above us. It was awesome and terrifying. All I heard was "Run!!" We ran. The water began swirling around our feet and went from ankle to knee in a matter of minutes. We threw Rock up the nearest wall where he could reach a ledge about 12 feet above us. He rigged the rope and the rest of us climbed to safety ala Indiana Jones.

For the next two hours we sat and watched the flood. The conversation quickly turned to the after-life, surviving nature and quietly thanking a higher power that we were alive. The sky eventually lightened up a bit but we knew it wouldn't last for long as darker clouds could still be seen...none of us were prepared to bivy. A few more minutes and we decided to brave the rest of the canyon.

From that point on, the Squeeze has some beautiful rappels, all of which were flowing now with spectacular waterfalls. There wasn't much time to enjoy them however as the goal was to just get out. We finally reached the exit and dropped back into the gorge. At that point, the first audible sighs of relief were heard and we began our trek back to the cars.

What was supposed to be an 8 hour day turned into 12. We all learned our lesson after this one. Since then, if it looks like rain...I stay out.

Rock (or maybe it was me) posted a TR with the few picks that we got of the event. Not sure if it's still available. If Rock doesn't beat me to it, I'll repost some pics from that trip.

Alex
10-17-2006, 07:19 PM
4. Late August is monsoon season. Try not to tackle anything that includes long sections of slot during the monsoon. Weather is really unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.

Is that why we did Cheesebox in the middle of August? :lol8: :lol8:

shaggy125
10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I remember that day. That was a fun one.

At the time (this was about 6 years ago) the Squeeze was one of the technical slots that Rock and I had on our to-do list. That particular summer we had attempted to run it several different times but we always got rained out. Now it was August and we decided "hell with it". Not the safest of attitudes to have, I know...

:roflol: That story is much more entertaining when told in detail by Kyrell and Rockgremlin while eating fresh pizza around the campfire at the TH for Pandora's. He left out the "Muddy flowing like the Colorado" and the "we only had one figure 8 between a group of like 10 people" parts. (it was passed up the rope after each person rapped, and handled like the most precious artifact on the planet). One of the most entertaining stories I'd heard in a long time... I was spitting peperoni out of my nose I laughed so hard. Good thing you guys can laugh about it now.

Eric.

Iceaxe
10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Is that why we did Cheesebox in the middle of August? :lol8: :lol8:

Hey.... ya got to see a flashflood didn't you??? :blbl:

Alex
10-17-2006, 08:58 PM
Who's complaining :five:

FOX
10-17-2006, 11:28 PM
:roflol: That story is much more entertaining when told in detail by Kyrell and Rockgremlin while eating fresh pizza around the campfire at the TH for Pandora's. He left out the "Muddy flowing like the Colorado" and the "we only had one figure 8 between a group of like 10 people" parts. (it was passed up the rope after each person rapped, and handled like the most precious artifact on the planet). One of the most entertaining stories I'd heard in a long time... I was spitting peperoni out of my nose I laughed so hard. Good thing you guys can laugh about it now.

Eric.

I also forgot to mention that all but one of us did it in Swiss seats and only two of us knew how to tie them!?
:lol8:

After that we learned that harnesses are much more comfortable on the :bootyshake:

rockgremlin
10-18-2006, 06:52 AM
Here's a link to the TR:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=259

Some great pics there! :2thumbs:

Scott Card
10-18-2006, 08:21 AM
OK.... I'm a freak.... sometimes we actually look for storms so we can do the canyon on the tail end of a flashflood.... we call it "Flashing".

Pine Creek was certainly entertaining to watch flashing. In August we were in Zion gung-ho to do Imlay but arrived to a flood. So we watched Pine flash and then the next morning, we did it with the remnants of the flood and still 5-15 cfs flow. (Still haven't figured how to calculate that very well) It was a blast. Best Pine Creek I have ever done. We set up two raps in different spots just to go in the water falls and we shortened the cathedral rap so as to drop off the end into the pool. Great time.

A couple of things I look at when doing a canyon is the weather report and radar. I poor over the reports for several days and watch the radar to determine the direction of the clouds in advance and where the storms are 24 hours prior to my hike. I like Shane trust my gut. I have turned around a hand full of times and have not regretted it. I usually still go to the canyon even with a bad report and make a trail head decision. There is usually another hike to do that is safer if I bail out. I have turned many a hike called off into a great photo op or running to slots to watch the action so I can learn more about the dynamics of flash flooding. It also reminds myself how tiny I am compared to nature and a flash flood.

Finally, I liked the squeeze story. A couple of years ago, my brother and I were in a big keeper in the Squeeze trying to figure out how to get out when it started to rain. When we entered the canyon, there was only a little puffy white cloud in the sky. When the rain came... well, it scared the crud out of us. I have never moved faster out of a canyon in my life. Jumping became an option at many spots and I am very opposed to jumping in almost every situation. It was amazing how we all fell into certain rolls. My brother was racing ahead to set up raps. I was bringing up the rear pulling ropes or providing the human anchor. The other two were newbies and were in the middle and would then catch me. Gratefully, the canyon did not flash before we got out. Very memorable. Still haven't told my wife yet. I'll save that for the next life. :haha:

utidcapaco
10-20-2006, 06:29 AM
Thanks all. Great suggestions and anecdotes. Looks like, as usual, experience is the best teacher.