PDA

View Full Version : Fun Stuff for Both of Us

R
10-17-2006, 06:34 AM
Abby and I are hoping to travel to Utah starting Saturday, an anniversary tradition for us, and I would love to hear a few recommendations. The issue at hand is that Abby is still struggling with rheumatoid arthritis, and has just begun a course of treatment with a rheumatologist. We are hopeful about the results, but for this trip, anyway, she will be somewhat limited in her ability. She and I would both love for her to return to Delicate Arch (where we got married), but that trail should be considered the absolute limit for her endurance.

So, what kind of cool, short trails, overlooks, drives, etc., do you think she could do? I think I will take her through Capital Reef, up the Mokee Dugway (for sentimental reasons), out to the Anticline Overlook, and maybe to Goblin Valley.

We haven't decided where we are staying exactly, but we are pondering Bluff or Monticello. We may or may not have two chihuahuas with us - still mulling that, too.

Thanks in advance.

-Richard :nod:

DickHead
10-17-2006, 06:37 AM
If you're coming up this way (No. Utah) at all I'd recommend Bridal Veil Falls and the drive up and over the Alpine loop.

goofball
10-17-2006, 07:57 AM
monticello doesn't even compare to bluff. but then i am just a little predjudiced in my opinion. the red rock of the desert is all around you. sand island has nice petroglyphs, and river house is an awesome site which you can drive right up to. sounds like any hikes on comb ridge are out as they require crossing the mess that is butler wash and have some bush whacking beyond that. valley of the gods is ok of course for a drive thru. muley point is gorgeous and you can wander the rim as you desire. thats all i got for short and easy. good luck and have fun.

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 07:58 AM
A few suggestions...

--> Have you guys been to Natural Bridges yet?

--> There is a road leading due west out of Monticello towards the Abajo Mtns. I believe it's called "Hart's Draw Road,"and it skirts the north side of the Abajos, winds around, and eventually spits you out on SR-211, just a few miles east of Newpaper Rock on the way to Canyonlands Nat'l Park. From there, you can visit Newspaper Rock, and then return to Monticello via Hwy 191, to complete the loop. This loop drive is very scenic and beautiful, because you get a bird's eye view of Canyonlands from the Abajo Mtns. WATCH OUT FOR DEER ON THIS ROAD!!! Every time we drive this loop, we see a minimum of 30 deer!!! They are everywhere here!!

On the way back to Monticello, stop in for dinner at the Line Camp Restaurant on the extreme north end of town. They have very good food, in a very "unique" setting. You'll swear you're eating in a Western movie studio. The Line Camp is kinda tough to find. It's tucked back in away from Hwy 191, and there is a small yellow marquee on Hwy 191 advertising it's presence.

More here: http://www.go-utah.com/Line-Camp-Steak-House/

While in Monticello, the best food is probably the Lamplight Restaurant on Hwy 491. It's more of a family restaurant, but I'm well acquainted with the head chef there, and the food is outstanding.

This should get you started...

R
10-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks everybody for these great ideas.

>>river house is an awesome site which you can drive right up to.

-I don't know this site. How do we get there?

>>valley of the gods is ok of course for a drive thru.

-We were thinking about ponying up the dough and taking a Monument Valley tour.

>>muley point is gorgeous and you can wander the rim as you desire. thats all i got for short and easy. good luck and have fun.

-Thanks for reminding me about Muley - it's a definite possibility

--> Have you guys been to Natural Bridges yet?

-Did NBNM three years ago on our first vacation together, and had a great time. http://richardbarron.net/highroad/10sipapu/ also see... http://richardbarron.net/highroad/16movie/

--> There is a road leading due west out of Monticello towards the Abajo Mtns. I believe it's called "Hart's Draw Road,"and it skirts the north side of the Abajos, winds around, and eventually spits you out on SR-211, just a few miles east of Newspaper Rock on the way to Canyonlands Nat'l Park. From there, you can visit Newspaper Rock, and then return to Monticello via Hwy 191, to complete the loop. This loop drive is very scenic and beautiful, because you get a bird's eye view of Canyonlands from the Abajo Mtns. WATCH OUT FOR DEER ON THIS ROAD!!! Every time we drive this loop, we see a minimum of 30 deer!!! They are everywhere here!!

-I never took this road, but I know both ends of it. If we go as far as Newspaper Rock, we would have to see at least something in Canyonlands.

Alex
10-17-2006, 10:44 AM
I would recommend Gemini Bridges and Crystal Geyser, you can google both of those. They are accessible in 2WD vehicles and both are awesome for photography.

Some of these pics are from the Gemini Bridges: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3764

R
10-17-2006, 11:30 AM
I would recommend Gemini Bridges and Crystal Geyser, you can google both of those. They are accessible in 2WD vehicles and both are awesome for photography.

Does anyone know how the recent weather affected these roads? -R

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I'm guessing if the road to Gemini was washed out, the parks people have been up there to repair it. It's a pretty popular attraction.

R
10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
I am at work right now, so I can't look at my maps, so... am I remembering right that Gemini Bridges is located north of Moab, kinda west of Arches?

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 11:36 AM
Dead Horse Point is a good stop too.

R
10-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Dead Horse Point is a good stop too.

My wife loves animals too much. I'm not sure I could get her to a place named like that. She'd be even less happy to learn how it got its name. :sad:

Cirrus2000
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
I am at work right now, so I can't look at my maps, so... am I remembering right that Gemini Bridges is located north of Moab, kinda west of Arches?

Yes - to get there with 2WD, you head 7 miles north from Moab, and turn west on 313, as if heading toward Dead Horse Point and Island in the Sky. After about 12 miles, turn left (east) onto the Gemini Bridges road. From there it's about 6 miles down to the bridges. Beautiful spot.

Udink
10-17-2006, 12:13 PM
Does anyone know how the recent weather affected these roads? -R
The road to Crystal Geyser should be good. I've driven my Taurus out there without problems in dry weather, but it's such a well-graded and -gravelled road that the rain shouldn't have affected it much. There are also a lot of culverts under the road, hopefully they were able to handle all the runoff.

Alex
10-17-2006, 12:51 PM
The turn off to the Gemini Bridges is here: http://tinyurl.com/ybl6cd Right before the turn off to the Dead Horse Point. Since the road to the Bridges is located on top of the bluff, I doubt it would have had that much run off. And like rockgremlin mentioned, it's a very popular mountain biking road for tourists and the park workers would jump on it asap.

You wouldn't be able to make it RIGHT to the bridges in the car, it's a short hike (about 200-300 feet) from the first absticle. The road is well marked and it's hard to get lost.

Iceaxe
10-17-2006, 12:54 PM
here are a couple of ideas....

Dinosaur Tracks
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/moabdino.htm

Potash Petroglyphs & Dinosaur Tracks
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/potash.htm

Sego Canyon - Ghost Town & Petroglyphs
http://climb-utah.com/Moab/sego.htm

You might also want to consider 9 Mile Canyon

Nine Mile Canyon - Rock Art & Ruins
http://climb-utah.com/Misc/ninemile.htm

This place is incredable and 90% of the stuff can be viewed standing next to your vehicle. I would easily put Nine Mile on any must see top ten list.

:rockon:

Alex
10-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Oh ya Nine Mile canyon is awesome! I have been through this about 3 times. The first time I was there, I had my truck with 4 Hi-Beam lights on the roll bar. Late at night I was driving quite fast and a cougar jumped right in front of me and I must have blinded it, it sat there staring at me for about 4-5 seconds. Then just jumped into the bush and took off. It was the coolest experience I ever remember. That was the only time I have ever seen a real cougar in the wild.

Make sure to stop by at the gas station before the turn off from hwy 6 and pick up a Nine Mile canyon guide book. You reset your milage counter and follow the book by the milage, it gives you the cool descriptions and pointers to look out for.

http://www.blm.gov/utah/price/9mile.htm for more info

Iceaxe
10-17-2006, 01:25 PM
a cougar jumped right in front of me

We saw a couger in Nine Mile also.... about 5 years ago.

Everything in the gas station guidebook is on my website. Plus I have added a bunch of stuff they don't have, including GPS waypoints. If you have a GPS you can pre-program the waypoints and it makes looking for things simple.

The biggest problem with 9 mile is that there are no signs or anything to point out what you are looking for. You certainly need a guidebook, or referance in hand before visiting the canyon.

:popcorn:

abbysm
10-17-2006, 03:52 PM
:2thumbs:
I didn't know Richard had asked ya'll for tips on where to take me this next week. I was really surprised how many of you replied with such awsome suggestions. I have been really worried my creaky ol joints would limit us on this trip. I now have so many great choices, THANKS TO YA'LL, that now I have the task of choosing which ones to do. Thanks to everyone of you. It is great to have friends (That I have never even met) to come to my rescue. I will have lots of great photos this trip.

Abby Barron

goofball
10-17-2006, 06:58 PM
>>river house is an awesome site which you can drive right up to.

-I don't know this site. How do we get there?

i can show you but can't tell you. i know it is the comb wash road south bound, NOT north. it can be sandy but this time of year it should be pretty hard packed. then you turn and go up the steep dirt grade and follow it the rest of the way (i think). sorry i can't be more specific it has been a while. ask people in bluff at the twin rocks and they could tell you for sure.

sounds like no matter what you will have a good time. that is why i moved out here from tulsa. cool stuff everywhere ! and i don't need to drive 16 hours anymore.

R
10-19-2006, 11:29 AM
Abby and I ended up deciding to stay in Monticello since it's more centrally located for the things we want to do, and the Navajo Trail motel will accommodate our chihuahuas. :nod: We are thinking about an itinerary something like this...

Saturday: Drive.
Sunday: Anticline overlook, Moab, Delicate Arch for sunset.
Monday: Navajo tour of Monument Valley, Muley Point, Mokee Dugway, Valley of the Gods.
Tuesday: Possibly a day off for Abby. Possibly hike in Canyonlands for me.
Wednesday: Capital Reef, Goblin Valley.
Thursday: Morning something. Drive - open to destination.
Friday: Drive.

Anyone got any more ideas? Thanks in advance. -R

Alex
10-19-2006, 01:51 PM
Thats A LOT of driving. Moab - Monument Valley... and then back to Goblin Valley. I don't think you'd have time to hike.

R
10-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, it's a lot of driving, but as we said earlier in the tread, Abby isn't up for any long hikes. I kinda looked at each day and plotted on the map, and I think it's do-able. This trip is mostly about seeing Utah and being together. My next trip, probably alone, in November, is all about hiking. :nod: