PDA

View Full Version : Yellowcake Samples

rockgremlin
10-13-2006, 07:36 AM
Yellowcake is a knickname for an ore of Uranium called Carnotite. There's a small surface deposit down the road from us here at the mine that contains some Carnotite. I've already hacked off a few chunks for my personal rock collection. If anyone is interested, I could get you some. It's really pretty stuff, and makes a great conversation piece for your mantle -- just don't sleep next to it!

Alex
10-13-2006, 08:31 AM
I don't know anything about geology, why can't you sleep next to it? and do you have a pic?

stefan
10-13-2006, 08:38 AM
it's radioactive :hair:

do you have a photo of it ... i wanna see how pretty it is.

Udink
10-13-2006, 08:39 AM
I'd love to have a few small chunks for my rock collection as well, though I'm not sure how you'd go about getting it to me. Maybe you could PM me directions or GPS coordinates?

I looked for some at the old uranium mine in the Swell, near the San Rafael River bridge in Buckhorn Wash. All I ended up finding was what appears to be a dinosaur bone embedded in some rock that was in a tailings pile. There was also some really beautiful indigo colors on some of the rocks, which I later was told was probably from copper being in the rock.

fouristhenewone
10-13-2006, 08:42 AM
I would love to have a piece or two for my collection. What kind of arrangements would you want to make?

rockgremlin
10-13-2006, 08:45 AM
I can't upload directions or GPS coords - in addition to being on private property, you have to drive on some of our mine haul roads to get there. :nono:

It's really pretty stuff. I'll upload some pics soon. Small samples of this stuff go for around $5 - $10 bucks on Ebay.

rockgremlin
10-13-2006, 08:50 AM
I would love to have a piece or two for my collection. What kind of arrangements would you want to make?

Depends on how much of the stuff I can get, and how many people want in. If less than 5 people show interest, I'll mail em out for free. Any more than that, and I'll have to charge for shipping and handling.

Iceaxe
10-13-2006, 09:46 AM
Do you put chocolate frosting on yellow cake :ne_nau:

Hey Rock... bring me a sample Saturday if you can. :2thumbs:

rockgremlin
10-13-2006, 09:50 AM
Do you put chocolate frosting on yellow cake :ne_nau:

Hey Rock... bring me a sample Saturday if you can. :2thumbs:

Just smear some mud on it. :lol8:

I'll see if I can get ya a good one.

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 09:45 AM
Just an update on this...

I went out last Friday, and found a BUNCH more of this stuff. So, if you're interested, let me know. It's a pretty "canary yellow."

Scott P
10-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I used to have a buch of that stuff, but I threw it out because of the radioactivity. Anyway, where I got it, it was made of crumbly petrified wood? What's it made of and what does it look like over there?

rockgremlin
10-17-2006, 09:56 AM
I used to have a buch of that stuff, but I threw it out because of the radioactivity. Anyway, where I got it, it was made of crumbly petrified wood? What's it made of and what does it look like over there?

It occurs as yellow stripes through white sandstone.