PDA

View Full Version : What kind is it???

Reedus
10-11-2006, 07:11 PM
I have been calling these big ones Tiger Trout, because the stream that I caught them from is fed from a lake that had tigers planted in it. The only other fish in the lake are rainbows and cutts, which are illegal to keep (the cutts) To my knowlege, there are NO brooks in this lake, so I am confused. From pictures of tigers, they are definitely not tigers, but resemble brooks, but that doesn't seems possible. Anybody care to comment on what you think they might be?

accadacca
10-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Where were they caught?? The one with the orange belly is a brook and the other looks to possibly be a splake. Were you at Fish Lake or the surrounding area? :ne_nau:

Glockguy
10-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I bet that is Mill Meadow or Forsythe. Good call it is a splake.

Reedus
10-12-2006, 06:48 AM
They were caught in the stream that empties from Duck Fork Reservoir in the Manti La Sal National Forest. That is what is perplexing, because there are no Splake or Brookies in the lake either, just Cutts, Bows and hybrid Tigers.

Wild One
10-12-2006, 04:50 PM
If there aren't any wild brookies in there and the DWR doesn't stock em, then someone is transplanting fish. They have to be brooks.

Reedus
10-13-2006, 07:14 AM
Back three or four years ago, the DWR drained Duck Fork and then killed all the fish remaining with chemicals. They did this to establish a habitat for the Colorado Cutthroat that was in danger of becoming endangered. They restocked it with the Colorado Cutts and also Tigers which are sterile. So with the appearance of these Brookies only a 1/4 mile downstream, I would say that their plan has been foiled by illegal stocking.

icthys
10-13-2006, 08:02 AM
I don't think that big one is a Brook. Brooks have the distinctive red spots, I don't see any on this fish, just the squiggily spots much like a Tiger. Tigers have Brook genes which can be dominant shown by the orange color and the fins.

packfish
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Leaning on the larger one being a Brook trout- white lined fins etc is pretty much a Brook trout where the Tiger really shouldn't be that way.
I picked many Tigers 2 weeks or so ago in the Boulders and none looked like that.