PDA

View Full Version : San Rafael River Area

asdf
10-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Planing a trip to the swell and I am looking for some input.
Keep in mind I have a three year old and my wife is over 5 months pregnant.

We are considering going down to San Rafael River Campground area, I was wondering what if any small short hikes anyways would recommend any where from the wedge to Mexican mountain. I have been in the area but only passed through.

Any beta would be appreciated.

Alex
10-11-2006, 11:42 AM
I am sure Ice and the guys will have better suggestions, but have you been to Little Wild Horse canyon? It seems like it would be perfect for your situation.

asdf
10-11-2006, 12:35 PM
I am sure Ice and the guys will have better suggestions, but have you been to Little Wild Horse canyon? It seems like it would be perfect for your situation.

Yes, countless times over the years. We just did ding, lwh, and goblin just a few weeks ago.
Your right that area is perfect for my needs. So many good day hikes in that area. I had done LWH, Ding, Dang, Crack, Chute, LWcreek and temple wash. That area is the fall back plan but we are just looking for somthing new.

Alex
10-11-2006, 01:20 PM
Another place I like to go is Crystal Geyser, granted, it's not much of a hike, but a really cool place to see. I've camped there with my wife numerous times. Do you know that place?

Iceaxe
10-11-2006, 01:24 PM
How about Horseshoe Canyon and Moonshine Wash?

Horseshoe Canyon
http://climb-utah.com/Roost/horseshoe.htm

Moonshine Wash
http://climb-utah.com/Roost/moonshine.htm

Scott P
10-11-2006, 01:35 PM
If you want something close to San Rafael Campground, you could hike the good trail up the San Juan River. Other good hikes right near the campaground are Red Canyon, Cane Wash (if the ATV's aren't illegally running around), Cow, Calf, and Pine Canyons, and Spring and Nates Canyons. All are nice and not hard in their lower ends.

The days of hiking with a pregnant wife bring back a lot of memories. Those were the days.

asdf
10-12-2006, 07:01 AM
How about Horseshoe Canyon and Moonshine Wash?

Moonshine looks great.

Other good hikes right near the campground are Red Canyon, Cane Wash (if the ATV's aren't illegally running around), Cow, Calf, and Pine Canyons, and Spring and Nates Canyons. All are nice and not hard in their lower ends.

It there a lot of ATV's in the area?
That is what I am worried about. The last thing I need is an idiot doing laps around our campsite.
Not that I hate ATVs, just SOME of the inconsiderate people that drive them.

Scott P
10-12-2006, 07:30 AM
It there a lot of ATV's in the area?
That is what I am worried about. The last thing I need is an idiot doing laps around our campsite.
Not that I hate ATVs, just SOME of the inconsiderate people that drive them.

Last time there was when I was there, but I don't know if this is always the case. We were camped in Cane Wash, at the mouth of the San Rafael River (no road and part of the WSA) when a bunch of ATV's roared (illegally) down the drainage. It's several miles into the WSA. This was in Spring and with high water and they asked us if they could drive their ATV's across the river. I was so tempted to tell them yes but I was nice and told them it was too deep (it was about 5-6 feet deep at the time). They roared back up the drainage.

I've heard upper Pine Creek has been really trashed by ATV's, but the rest of those hikes should be OK.