PDA

View Full Version : Moab trip invite!!! November '06

Sombeech
10-11-2006, 10:25 AM
We finally came up with a date.

A few of us will be in Moab the weekend of November 3rd - 4th (friday-saturday). Most likely we will drive down Thursday night, and possibly come back Sunday morning. We will be in a motel (no reservations as of yet).

Our plans:
mtn bike 1-2 trails one day. I'd love to hit Porcupine Rim (http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/porcup.htm) as I've yet to ride it.
Four Wheeling (ATV) & motorcycle the next day. Not sure what trails to hit here, preferrably a lot of slickrock?
Anyways, if you can make it down, we'd love to meet up with the uutah & UMB clans on the trails. You'll all have to fend for yourselves on lodging, but I'm sure you'll have no problems in November. We can PM each other our cell phone #s.

I'm guessing temps should be in the 60's? :ne_nau:

shagster
10-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Count me in.. Well not for sure yet, but it is a huge possibility. I will let you know ASAP, but I would love to join ya.

rockgremlin
10-11-2006, 12:32 PM
I'm an hour's drive away. I'll probably make an appearance. My bike sucks though.

Sombeech
10-11-2006, 12:33 PM
I'm an hour's drive away. I'll probably make an appearance. My bike sucks though.

You can show us some quick canyons if any. :ne_nau:

accadacca
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Sweet! I am putting it on my calendar and I don't see any problems with the date yet. It would be good to catch up with rockgremlin and the rest of the posse. Come if you can fellow uutahers...I mean what else will you be doing in November. :popcorn:

live2ride
10-11-2006, 09:46 PM
Im in and count me in, I may have room for someone if I cant find anyone to come with me, when it gets a little closer i will let you know. I would like to ride amassas back and love to get at least 1 night ride in. Amassa Back is amazing at night.

Soveirgn singletrack, Amassa Back, we gotta hit these ones!

Sombeech
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Soveirgn singletrack, Amassa Back, we gotta hit these ones!

Yep, I've been hearing a lot about those two trails. I've got these 3 trails in my hopper:

Porucupine Rim - http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/porcup.htm

Sovereign - http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/sovergn.htm

Amassa - http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/amassa.htm

Unfortunately, I think I'll have to choose only two of them. I'd like to ride an ATV for a day as well, but you guys should go for it.

The last time I did 4 trails in 2 days was in St George, and that wiped me out by #3.

greyhair biker
10-13-2006, 11:54 AM
:2thumbs: Y'all have a good time and I'll be here in jealous mode 'cause I can't get off work to go :2thumbs: :2thumbs: Better post some pics is all I've got to say!!!

Sombeech
10-16-2006, 10:35 AM
Some cool videos from UMB to give us a preview of the trails;

Sovereign Trail
http://www.alpinebike.com/Videos/Sovereign.mpg

Porcupine Rim
http://www.alpinebike.com/Videos/Porcupin.mpg

Amassa Back
http://www.alpinebike.com/Videos/Amassa.mpg

I'm jonesing (I hate this word!) to get down there and grab some sweet footage. I'm currently shopping around for some helmetcam mounting arms. I'd love to place the camera on different positions on my frame. Anyways, enjoy the videos.

live2ride
10-16-2006, 11:20 AM
Where is everyone planning on stayin? Are you going to take the hotel route or do a little camping? Just curious.

Sombeech
10-16-2006, 11:25 AM
I'd camp, but I don't want my bike to get stolen, and I don't want to use it as a pillow. :lol8:

I think we'll just get a motel room. I haven't called yet. I'd better get on it.

live2ride
10-19-2006, 09:08 PM
I'd camp, but I don't want my bike to get stolen, and I don't want to use it as a pillow. :lol8:

I think we'll just get a motel room. I haven't called yet. I'd better get on it.

I am dying to use this pop-up trailer that I just got for free so I may camp it out, or get a Hotel?

Sombeech
10-19-2006, 09:12 PM
Man, that reminds me. I've gotta get off my butt and get a reservation! :eek2:

xlr8rbmx
10-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey guys-

got the link from: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2708

Myself and a couple buddies will be making the ~7 hour drive from CO Springs to ride Moab that weekend (our first time biking utah). We're looking for all the info we can get to make it a badass trip and wouldn't mind meeting up with other mountain bikers. If anybody can offer advice or if you want to meet up (We're driving Thursday night and riding Fri/Sat and Sun morning) drop me a line: brandon.sullivan@gmail.com

-brandon

Sombeech
10-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey guys-

got the link from: http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/UMBphpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2708

Myself and a couple buddies will be making the ~7 hour drive from CO Springs to ride Moab that weekend (our first time biking utah).

Sweet! Hey, welcome to the forum. We'll have to be sure to meet up sometime that weekend. Right before we head down, we'll all send each other our cell phone numbers or something. :2thumbs:

aj_gilbs
10-29-2006, 03:22 PM
Hey guys, I would love to get out and ride some trail, I've been doing so much urban lately, but it is right out my door. So yeah I would like to go ride but I wouldn't be able to leave until Friday after my classes. How long is the drive to Moab from SLC? If I went down I would probably just sleep in my car. So if anyone will be riding trail Friday afternoon/night or Saturday let me know and I'll see if I can make it down. And if you know of a place where I could park my car to sleep, like a campground or something, that is free or cheap that'd be great info, Thanks!

accadacca
10-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah, so who's going then? Whaz the plan?? This weekend... :headbang:

xlr8rbmx
10-29-2006, 10:09 PM
i'll be there with two buddies. making the journey from colorado thursday night and hitting the trails friday, saturday, and sunday morning. can't wait- looking forward to great riding and (fingers crossed) good weather. if you're going that weekend- send me an email with yer cell # and i'll trade mine. maybe we can get some shuttles going for porcupine rim ?

brandon(dot)sullivan(at)gmail(dot)com

-brandon

rockgremlin
10-31-2006, 02:34 PM
Hey Acca --

Where/when can I meet up with you on Saturday? Is the wife coming down too?

Sombeech
10-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Slight change.... I may end up coming down Friday afternoon. It's looking like I can get more of the Ogden posse down there if I wait for them.

I was thinking of going down friday MORNING, and hitting a trail by noon, hit another one saturday, and drive home saturday night.

Now, we may go down friday SOMETIME, bike on saturday, and POSSIBLY ride ATVs on sunday--- depending if we can tow them down there somehow. If not, we'll either bike or hike on sunday.

LeRoy, Cam, and maybe Don will come down. maybe Mark, and maybe Shad. I'm betting on a bunch of maybes.

accadacca
10-31-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey Acca --

Where/when can I meet up with you on Saturday? Is the wife coming down too?
??? Give me a call dude. I still need to get a motel or something. Its just Brady and I that are coming down Friday morning. I figure I'll take him on some small hikes Friday and just hang. This is yer neck of the woods so I am planning to follow you around and perhaps come check yer place out. Give me a call and we'll... :blahblah:

Sombeech
11-01-2006, 04:57 PM
Moab weathercam.

http://www.cnha.org/webcam/image.jpg

tanya
11-03-2006, 09:03 AM
Sweet! Hey, welcome to the forum. We'll have to be sure to meet up sometime that weekend. Right before we head down, we'll all send each other our cell phone numbers or something. :2thumbs:

Have fun everyone!!!!! :2thumbs:

Moab seems the place to be this weekend!

greyhair biker
11-03-2006, 10:10 AM
...OH..I wish I was going! I need a good hard ride- :ride:

tanya
11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
...OH..I wish I was going! I need a good hard ride- :ride:

I bet you could still go! They are staying in a motel down there. Just pop in. Ride in front of 'Beech so we can get some good rear shots of you with his helmet cam. I think they are doing a few trails, biking and hiking. :popcorn:

accadacca
11-03-2006, 05:14 PM
Checking in from the ole MOAB!! My son and I hiked around a bit in Arches today and we plan to meet up with rockgremlin to do some more tomorrow. Heading over to Eddie Mcstiffs to meet up with Beech and company...see what their plans are. Who knows I may post some pics tonight.... :2thumbs:

tanya
11-03-2006, 05:33 PM
Checking in from the ole MOAB!! My son and I hiked around a bit in Arches today and we plan to meet up with rockgremlin to do some more tomorrow. Heading over to Eddie Mcstiffs to meet up with Beech and company...see what their plans are. Who knows I may post some pics tonight.... :2thumbs:

I was wondering what you were doing online! I want to see PICS! :2thumbs:

Sombeech
11-05-2006, 06:44 PM
KillEmAll and I just got back. We've got some pics & video.

We hiked all day in Arches with accadacca, rockgremlin, and company. And this morning we hit Slickrock Trail.

I was anticipating hitting more bike trails, but just didn't have the time.

Mark was also down there doing a TON of ATV rides with 3 others. It sounded like a blast. They've got pics and video also. Now all I've gotta do is get him to join so he can post his stuff too.

Pics will be posted tonight. Wait about a week for the video. We had a great time down there. :cool2:

fourtycal
11-05-2006, 08:26 PM
Man it sounds like you all had a good time. I was close going but ended up at the sand dunes.
Next time i'm in.

Sombeech
11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Man it sounds like you all had a good time. I was close going but ended up at the sand dunes.
Next time i'm in.

Sand dunes, huh? That sounds pretty sweet as well. At least you got out and did something.

xlr8rbmx
11-06-2006, 10:15 AM
I had a hell of a time in Moab- will definitely be going back.

I posted some pics on mtbr, check them out:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=242764

Sombeech
11-06-2006, 11:35 AM
I had a hell of a time in Moab- will definitely be going back.

Very cool, man!

How did porcupine treat you? I wanted to ride that really bad, but couldn't get the time for the shuttle.

xlr8rbmx
11-06-2006, 03:35 PM
Porcupine was amazing. We took the shuttle and linked it with Kokopolli's and LPS.

I rode all of the trails on my hardtail which was a blast, granted it was very hard on the body. The only bike casualty was a bent seatpost that happened at some point from the vibrations/drops of Slickrock : )

Sombeech
11-06-2006, 06:35 PM
Porcupine was amazing. We took the shuttle and linked it with Kokopolli's and LPS.

Ahhhh, you lucky dog. I wanted to hit that so bad.

But hey, we found some nice rooms at the Motel 6 for $35. Great rates. At those prices, we should go down again real soon.

Well, hey everybody, I hope everybody had fun. We'll have to try to meet up next time. I'd like to hit St George this winter, so that's our next venture.

Everybody start posting those trip reports! I'm working on my Slickrock thread tonight.

greyhair biker
11-07-2006, 06:22 AM
shuttle? SHUTTLE?! We usually just camp out down below in sandflats area and bike it up the hill to the trailhead! Last time I did Porcupine we rode from SandFlats - did the trail down to the river road and headed back into town to Moab Dinerfor a meal then, headed UP the hill and back to camp...30 mile round trip! I REALLY missed going down there this year! :frustrated:

Sombeech
11-07-2006, 07:40 AM
shuttle? SHUTTLE?! We usually just camp out down below in sandflats area and bike it up the hill to the trailhead!

That's it. You're not invited next time. If we could, we'd work out some kind of Shuttle on Slickrock. You know, with the jeeps crossing over on Hell's Revenge? We could just tie a waterski rope to the back of one to tow us up the hills.

greyhair biker
11-08-2006, 01:21 PM
Ok--I WILL opt out for a shuttle (i am getting old you know) but I don't miss Moab trips unless there's a death in the family - or I gotta F$#@@&% work :haha: