PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Zion NP Trip

Cirrus2000
10-09-2006, 11:22 PM
I got back about 2 weeks ago from a trip into Zion National Park with a friend.

We flew in to Vegas on Sunday the 17th, and stayed the night there. Monday we left for Utah. We planned on doing a couple of days in Bryce, then a couple in Zion. As we drove through Zion, especially once we got through the tunnel, we were stunned by the amount of spectacularness, and wondrousitude. Decided we could spend years in Zion, never mind just a week. We turned around and got a campsite in Springdale.

Tuesday we hiked and scrambled around on the east side of the tunnel, mostly in a couple of canyons north of the highway, about 1.5 to 2 miles east of the smaller tunnel. Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!

Wednesday we hiked up to the Emerald Pools (middle and upper), then headed further up the valley to Observation Point.

Thursday was a trip up the Virgin River Narrows, bottom up.

Friday we decided to take it easy, so we hopped in the car and drove up to Bryce after all. Spent a couple of (very cold) hours driving and taking photos.

I'll post reports on a couple of these hikes over the next couple of days. For now, here are some photos from the first evening - after we got through the tunnel, and decided to turn around. We didn't want to get stuck in traffic again, so we scrambled around a bit until dark - when the roadwork ended.

asdf
10-10-2006, 04:48 AM
Nice pics, I am looking forward to seeing the rest. That really sucks about the traffic Jam.

Cirrus2000
10-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Hiking/Scrambling in East Zion

Tuesday we headed through the tunnel into the east side of Zion for some hiking and scrambling. When we'd driven through on Monday, we made a note of promising spots to explore on the GPS, and decided on a couple to try. The first was almost 2 miles east of the small tunnel. We parked on the north side of the road, and headed up. Just explored for an hour or so, then back to the car.

Went back toward the west for about half a mile, and got out again. There we found a small mob gathering to look at the sheep on the side of the road - including one woman who jumped out of an RV and ran toward the sheep for that perfect shot, startling them quite thoroughly. We started on the south side of the road, and passed through a masonry tunnel to the north.

As we headed up the canyon, we'd just passed a small side trail, when we heard someone call out that "They're over here - you've missed it!" We had no idea what "they" were, so we asked. Well, apparently there were some great petroglyphs along the side of the canyon. Unmarked on a map, unsigned on the trail - the parks people keep them at a low profile, to avoid mobs damaging them.

After viewing and photographing the petroglyphs, we continued up the canyon. We reached a (dry) drop-off that we were unable to climb up, and circled around to the east. The valley above opened up, and we continued up for quite a ways. Eventually, the way got a bit tough, and we'd been out for a while, so we headed back.

Then it was back to the campground for some carb loading (What the hell is with 3.2% Corona? Polygamy Porter is only 4%? A porter?!? Crazy. If it's less than 8%, it's barely beer!) and relaxation.

tanya
10-10-2006, 03:29 PM
I got back about 2 weeks ago from a trip into Zion National Park with a friend.

Tuesday we hiked and scrambled around on the east side of the tunnel, mostly in a couple of canyons north of the highway, about 1.5 to 2 miles east of the smaller tunnel. Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!

Petroglyph Canyon?

Wednesday we hiked up to the Emerald Pools (middle and upper), then headed further up the valley to Observation Point.

Fun hikes!

Was the water cold?

Friday we decided to take it easy, so we hopped in the car and drove up to Bryce after all. Spent a couple of (very cold) hours driving and taking photos.

Bryce is beautiful, but does not compare with Zion!

Cirrus2000
10-10-2006, 04:51 PM
Incredible petroglyphs and scenery!

Petroglyph Canyon?

Is that what it's called? I'm guessing so! Never saw a name for it on maps or Google Earth. The one just to the east is Keyhole Slot Canyon, according to Google Earth Community - though we didn't stick to the canyon the whole time.

Fun hikes!

Yes, they were good! Next time it'll be Angel's Landing. I wanted to do it Friday, but my buddy wasn't feeling up to it.

Was the water cold?

Well, we were wimpy and rented neoprene sox and 5.10 Canyoneers, plus dry pants in Springdale. The water seemed a little cold, but at least we didn't have to deal with it! I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not, but very happy, after a few hours, that we had them. Not a numb extremity to be had.

Bryce is beautiful, but does not compare with Zion!

Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^ - that's stunning" curb appeal, for sure. But for exploration, for getting right into the landscape, for variety of experiences, I think Zion's got it beat. Not that I spent much time in Bryce (insert standard disclaimers here: IMHO, YMMV, etc.)...

tanya
10-10-2006, 04:59 PM
Is that what it's called? I'm guessing so! Never saw a name for it on maps or Google Earth. The one just to the east is Keyhole Slot Canyon, according to Google Earth Community - though we didn't stick to the canyon the whole time.

If there was a wooden fence where you parked it was. Cool place. Shane and I know more, ask next time you head to Zion.

Yes, they were good! Next time it'll be Angel's Landing. I wanted to do it Friday, but my buddy wasn't feeling up to it.

Angels Landing is awesome, but I really enjoy Emerald Pools.

Well, we were wimpy and rented neoprene sox and 5.10 Canyoneers, plus dry pants in Springdale. The water seemed a little cold, but at least we didn't have to deal with it! I wasn't sure if it would be worth it or not, but very happy, after a few hours, that we had them. Not a numb extremity to be had.

Better to be comfy that act tough!

Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^ - that's stunning" curb appeal, for sure. But for exploration, for getting right into the landscape, for variety of experiences, I think Zion's got it beat. Not that I spent much time in Bryce (insert standard disclaimers here: IMHO, YMMV, etc.)..

I have never heard it said better :nod:

Iceaxe
10-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^

:roflol: - Best Bryce description ever :2thumbs:

Maybe this should be the Bryce motto....

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :popcorn:

tanya
10-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Bryce has instant "Holy $#!^

:roflol: - Best Bryce description ever :2thumbs:

Maybe this should be the Bryce motto....

Nice pics, thanks for sharing :popcorn:

You just say that since that's where you spend your anniversaries ... I assume mostly in the hotel room :naughty:

Sombeech
10-10-2006, 09:49 PM
Very cool shots. Thanks.

Cirrus2000
10-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Oh - one of the most important shots on Tuesday afternoon: Rehydrating and keeping in touch on the mighty "Moab" laptop...

tanya
10-11-2006, 07:34 AM
Oh - one of the most important shots on Tuesday afternoon: Rehydrating and keeping in touch on the mighty "Moab" laptop...

Which one is you? Not that it matters. You both look good :popcorn:

Iceaxe
10-11-2006, 07:51 AM
Polygamy Porter :2thumbs: Probably utah's best beer.....

Cirrus2000
10-11-2006, 09:54 AM
Which one is you?

I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. Tony's geeking out taking the photo with his remote. (Sony HD camcorder with built in 4 MP digital still camera. Geek.)

Polygamy Porter :2thumbs: Probably utah's best beer.....

Really, is that saying much? :haha: It was pretty good. But I generally like my beers strong and dark. This was dark, but not a lot of depth to it. And I'm guessing a Belgian style trippel is right out of the question...

More photos later today...

tanya
10-11-2006, 10:21 AM
Which one is you?

I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. More photos later today...

I am looking forward to more photos .....

:nod:

accadacca
10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Which one is you?

I'm the serious one, geeking out on the laptop. More photos later today...

I am looking forward to more photos .....

:nod:
:lol8: :lol8: :lol8:

Yeah great photo!!! :2thumbs: :haha:

Cirrus2000
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
More of my trip to Zion National Park - or "How I Spent My September Vacation"

Wednesday was another pleasant day. After stopping for supplies in town, we drove into the park and got the perfect parking spot where the shuttle turns up Zion Canyon Scenic Drive.

Got out at Zion Park Lodge, and hiked up the Emerald Pools trail to the middle then upper pool. Pleasant hike, easy going, and lots of people. Nice overlooks, though. We didn't end up going to the lower pool, and just took the Kayenta Trail down to the Grotto. Looked around for a bit, trying to find this "Grotto". Finally asked. OK, there is no actual "Grotto" for which "The Grotto" is named. Curious.

Hopped the shuttle again, and went up to Weeping Rock. Told Tony that there was a nice hike up to Observation Point - but didn't mention that it was over 2100 feet up, and a 7 mile round trip. (After the couple of miles and few hundred feet of Emerald Pools, I think he was expecting more of the same.) Broke the news to him about 1/3 of the way up, but he was pretty good about it. Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...

The switchbacks up toward the southeast seemed interminable. Finally we swung around to the north, and entered a narrower section of Echo Canyon. Looked down into the abyss (and the abyss looked into us...) Suddenly, the riverbed was right beside us, so we went exploring for the top of the (dry) waterfall. Fun exploring, and found a little ledge with rap bolts. Cool.

Continued up the canyon, and into a truly narrow section - with a huge trail blasted out of the side. Seemed a little bit of overkill, but in the summer there are probably busloads of people, ranks 4 or 5 wide, walking up. Probably.

The canyon opened up again, and we continued east, then up the north wall of the canyon. Switchbacks, interminably, again. Finally, up to the rim, and around toward Observation Point. The vegetation was burned away some time back, but lots was growing back.

When did this burn?

Anyway, the view from the point was phenomenal. There was a woman at the top who wouldn't get off her cell phone. Calling the kids, to say hello. Didn't want to talk for long, just checking in. 20 minutes later...

Angels Landing looked amazing from the point - you could see tiny little ant people traversing the ridge - really nice.

Finally, after a little snack and lots of photos, we headed back down. A serious wind kicked up while we were descending - blew sand into my eyes a few times.

Once we got to the bottom, I made the short side trip up to Weeping Rock, to view the hanging gardens there. Tony just waited at the shuttle stop - enough of this up and down crap...

Back to the car, and return trip to the campsite. Refreshments, of course...

tanya
10-11-2006, 06:36 PM
More of my trip to Zion National Park - or "How I Spent My September Vacation"

We didn't end up going to the lower pool, and just took the Kayenta Trail down to the Grotto.

That's a shame. I think the lower pool is the nicest. That is why I try and get people to hike up the Lower Emerald Pool Trail instead of the Middle.

Looked around for a bit, trying to find this "Grotto". Finally asked. OK, there is no actual "Grotto" for which "The Grotto" is named. Curious.

That is a common thing in Zion. Its cute how people hike around looking for the Grotto. It's actually the Grotto Picnic Area. Its where the Zion Shuttle dropped you off.

Hopped the shuttle again, and went up to Weeping Rock. Told Tony that there was a nice hike up to Observation Point - but didn't mention that it was over 2100 feet up, and a 7 mile round trip. (After the couple of miles and few hundred feet of Emerald Pools, I think he was expecting more of the same.) Broke the news to him about 1/3 of the way up, but he was pretty good about it. Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...

:roll: But Utah beer

The switchbacks up toward the southeast seemed interminable. Finally we swung around to the north, and entered a narrower section of Echo Canyon. Looked down into the abyss (and the abyss looked into us...) Suddenly, the riverbed was right beside us, so we went exploring for the top of the (dry) waterfall. Fun exploring, and found a little ledge with rap bolts. Cool.

Continued up the canyon, and into a truly narrow section - with a huge trail blasted out of the side. Seemed a little bit of overkill, but in the summer there are probably busloads of people, ranks 4 or 5 wide, walking up. Probably.

In the winter there is often quite a bit of water in that section of the trail.

The canyon opened up again, and we continued east, then up the north wall of the canyon. Switchbacks, interminably, again. Finally, up to the rim, and around toward Observation Point. The vegetation was burned away some time back, but lots was growing back.

When did this burn?

Not sure? There were some fires this summer. Not sure about that area. They closed the Angels Landing Trail for a while for a fire and there was a lot of burning in the Kolob Terrace area.

Anyway, the view from the point was phenomenal. There was a woman at the top who wouldn't get off her cell phone. Calling the kids, to say hello. Didn't want to talk for long, just checking in. 20 minutes later...

Too bad it works up there

Angels Landing looked amazing from the point - you could see tiny little ant people traversing the ridge - really nice.

Great Trail!

Finally, after a little snack and lots of photos, we headed back down. A serious wind kicked up while we were descending - blew sand into my eyes a few times.

Once we got to the bottom, I made the short side trip up to Weeping Rock, to view the hanging gardens there. Tony just waited at the shuttle stop - enough of this up and down crap...

Back to the car, and return trip to the campsite. Refreshments, of course...

accadacca
10-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Awesome photos! Looks like you fellas had a good time. :2thumbs:
I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better. :five: :lol8:

Cirrus2000
10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
That's a shame. I think the lower pool is the nicest. That is why I try and get people to hike up the Lower Emerald Pool Trail instead of the Middle.

I'll keep that in mind - next time it'll be the Lower... Thanks!

That is a common thing in Zion. Its cute how people hike around looking for the Grotto. It's actually the Grotto Picnic Area. Its where the Zion Shuttle dropped you off.

Well, we knew that was the name of the shuttle stop, and knew it was a picnic area, but... Well, how did it get its name? :ne_nau: I'm stymied.

Just meant there'd be more beer required at the end...
:roll: But Utah beer

Yeah, too true. But we had to look on the bright side - at least it was beer (technically). Gotta roll with the punches. Take the bad with the good. The glass was half full, not half empty. Well, actually the bottle was completely full. But not for long...

Not sure? There were some fires this summer. Not sure about that area. They closed the Angels Landing Trail for a while for a fire and there was a lot of burning in the Kolob Terrace area.

Interesting. I remember that the Kolob area had fires & closures. Didn't know how widespread / how many there were.

Great Trail!

On the agenda for next trip!

Thanks for the info and insights, Tanya!

Awesome photos! Looks like you fellas had a good time. :2thumbs:
I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better. :five: :lol8:

A little better?!? :Drooly-Homer-Simpsonesque-Emoticon: I'll bet they would have been cold in the Virgin (snicker) River the next day...

More photos to come, tonight or tomorrow...

tanya
10-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Well, we knew that was the name of the shuttle stop, and knew it was a picnic area, but... Well, how did it get its name? :ne_nau: I'm stymied.

Did you notice that charming rock building behind the restrooms? That use to be the first Visitor Center. Perhaps due to that? By the way, great photos! I enjoyed them :popcorn:

Yeah, too true. But we had to look on the bright side - at least it was beer (technically). Gotta roll with the punches. Take the bad with the good. The glass was half full, not half empty. Well, actually the bottle was completely full. But not for long...

True! Its good stuff

[quote=accadacca]Awesome photos! Looks like you fellas had a good time. :2thumbs:
I few chicks in bikinis to go with that beer could have made your trip a little better. :five: :lol8

A little better?!? :Drooly-Homer-Simpsonesque-Emoticon: I'll bet they would have been cold in the Virgin (snicker) River the next day...

Oh no! Some of us quite enjoyed the male types in the photos :wink:

Cirrus2000
10-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Part The Next of Zion National Park, Sept '06

Couldn't decide whether to get all kitted out for the Narrows on Thursday. Went in to the Zion Adventure Center folks, did a little shopping around in the shop. Asked the fellow in the rental center about renting socks, shoes, and whether pants would be a good idea. His thought was that it was just at the point where it depended upon your own cold resistance. Tony's a wimp when it comes to cold, but I'm pretty untouched by cold. But solidarity - if he's going to walk around in goofy pants, so will I. Se we rented them. By the end of the day, we sure were glad we had. That's a lot of hours in rushing, chilly water. Worked great, too...

Good parking karma again - parked right by the shuttle turn-off. Rode up to Temple of Sinawava, donning the wacky pants as we went. Strolled up the river, then down the steps onto the rocks, leaving the mere mortals behind.

By the way, we've divided the tourist throngs in National Parks (and elsewhere) into two distinct groups. The Sheep see that other people are going somewhere, and all follow along, prefering the comfort of a crowd. The Cattle, on the other hand, go where they are told. "The bus driver said to go up there and turn right." And they all do. I don't know where this leaves us...

Anyway:

Left the safety of the sidewalk, and headed upriver. Spent hours in the water, getting tired hip flexors from struggling against the opposite flowing water. Sure was glad I bought a waterproof camera before leaving home!

Went up to the Orderville Canyon turnoff, figuring we'd stop for lunch there. Got our first view of it off in the distance, and decided to stop for lunch early, and not in view of the turnoff. The had to be 20 people there...

Continued up the Narrows, and were finally turned around by a big pool with a big rock beside it. Looked like we could have got through at about mid chest-level, but didn't want to flood the pants over the top. Anyway, we were happy with what we'd done, and wanted to check out Orderville, too.

Headed back downriver, then up into Orderville Canyon. How delightful! Went up past the first falls (and the Don't Go Past Here sign) for a while, and turned around just before a bigger waterfall. A couple of guys coming the other direction downclimbed/jumped those falls. They'd come down from the top, and looked like they were having a good time, but trying not to get their packs wet. Interesting rope gymnastics to do so.

Anyway, all in all, it was excellent. Returned the equipment, then spruced up and went to the Spotted Dog for dinner with some people we met in the Narrows. A great day!

tanya
10-13-2006, 05:59 PM
Part The Next of Zion National Park, Sept '06

Couldn't decide whether to get all kitted out for the Narrows on Thursday. Went in to the Zion Adventure Center folks, did a little shopping around in the shop. Asked the fellow in the rental center about renting socks, shoes, and whether pants would be a good idea. His thought was that it was just at the point where it depended upon your own cold resistance. Tony's a wimp when it comes to cold, but I'm pretty untouched by cold. But solidarity - if he's going to walk around in goofy pants, so will I. Se we rented them. By the end of the day, we sure were glad we had. That's a lot of hours in rushing, chilly water. Worked great, too...

Good parking karma again - parked right by the shuttle turn-off. Rode up to Temple of Sinawava, donning the wacky pants as we went. Strolled up the river, then down the steps onto the rocks, leaving the mere mortals behind.

By the way, we've divided the tourist throngs in National Parks (and elsewhere) into two distinct groups. The Sheep see that other people are going somewhere, and all follow along, prefering the comfort of a crowd. The Cattle, on the other hand, go where they are told. "The bus driver said to go up there and turn right." And they all do. I don't know where this leaves us...

Anyway:

Left the safety of the sidewalk, and headed upriver. Spent hours in the water, getting tired hip flexors from struggling against the opposite flowing water. Sure was glad I bought a waterproof camera before leaving home!

Good choices and more fun pictures! :nod:

Went up to the Orderville Canyon turnoff, figuring we'd stop for lunch there. Got our first view of it off in the distance, and decided to stop for lunch early, and not in view of the turnoff. The had to be 20 people there...

Continued up the Narrows, and were finally turned around by a big pool with a big rock beside it. Looked like we could have got through at about mid chest-level, but didn't want to flood the pants over the top. Anyway, we were happy with what we'd done, and wanted to check out Orderville, too.

Headed back downriver, then up into Orderville Canyon. How delightful! Went up past the first falls (and the Don't Go Past Here sign)

:mrgreen:

for a while, and turned around just before a bigger waterfall. A couple of guys coming the other direction downclimbed/jumped those falls.

:bud: Its always scares me when people jump!

They'd come down from the top, and looked like they were having a good time, but trying not to get their packs wet. Interesting rope gymnastics to do so.

Anyway, all in all, it was excellent. Returned the equipment, then spruced up and went to the Spotted Dog for dinner with some people we met in the Narrows. A great day!

Sounds like a great trip. How was the Spotted Dog? I have never been there?

Cirrus2000
10-13-2006, 07:03 PM
:bud: Its always scares me when people jump!
Actually, it wasn't so bad - the first guy kind of downclimbed a bit (it was only about a 10 foot drop) and then dropped in. He kind of tested it out a bit, then used the rope to bring down their packs. The second guy jumped, where the first guy had checked it out.

At first, they called to us (sort of stuck about 40 feet away) asking if we knew whether it was jumpable. "Can you jump this?!?" (it was pretty loud in there). "No idea!" I replied. With much shrugging, I then held up 1 finger and hollered, "Well... once!" Fortunately, they realized I was joking, and didn't go leaping in!

Sounds like a great trip. How was the Spotted Dog? I have never been there?

It was actually much nicer than I expected, from the name. Our dinner companions (a couple of nice young ladies, plus a couple, all from North Carolina) were dressed much better than we were - well, than I was; I don't clean up that well. Dinner was quite impressive, (though not exactly cheap). I had trout, Tony and a couple others had lamb. Mine was delicious, and the others all enjoyed theirs. Good wine list, too. :eat:

tanya
10-13-2006, 07:30 PM
Actually, it wasn't so bad - the first guy kind of downclimbed a bit (it was only about a 10 foot drop) and then dropped in. He kind of tested it out a bit, then used the rope to bring down their packs. The second guy jumped, where the first guy had checked it out.

At first, they called to us (sort of stuck about 40 feet away) asking if we knew whether it was jumpable. "Can you jump this?!?" (it was pretty loud in there). "No idea!" I replied. With much shrugging, I then held up 1 finger and hollered, "Well... once!" Fortunately, they realized I was joking, and didn't go leaping in!

That spot is like that. Almost everyone is okay, but once in a while the SAR team has to carry someone out with injuries. But its slippery there, so many might fall anyway if they tried to climb? I just always make sure to take a man along to catch me. :nod:

Next time you will have to hike Orderville from the top. Its a fun hike with a lot of fun obstacles along the way.

Orderville Photos - from the top

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index71.htm

Spotted Dog sounds more like a tourist restaurant then?

------------------------

Other stuff --- New Diner and the Tunnel (while I am thinking of it)

I saw a new diner in Springdale today called Blondies. Anyone been to it? They took one of the charming old homes that is on the main drag and turned it into a restaurant. I wonder how the food is?

I went through the park for the first time on a weekday during work hours and that wait at the tunnel IS very long now! I came home a little before 5pm though and they had everything cleaned up and there were no waits at that time. So... if you have to drive through the tunnel do it early or late or weekends and holidays until they are done with construction ---- about January.

Cirrus2000
10-13-2006, 08:55 PM
That spot is like that. Almost everyone is okay, but once in a while the SAR team has to carry someone out with injuries. But its slippery there, so many might fall anyway if they tried to climb? I just always make sure to take a man along to catch me. :nod:

Next time you will have to hike Orderville from the top. Its a fun hike with a lot of fun obstacles along the way.

Orderville Photos - from the top

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index71.htm

Excellent stuff - thank you! We were already thinking that might have to be a must-do next time - you've confirmed it. For some of those fun little obstacles, do you take along anything of a technical nature - short rope, webbing, whatever? Need to get into more technical canyoneering, eventually - excellent, more equipment to buy! (Got tons of climbing stuff, gonna need the watery stuff!)

Spotted Dog sounds more like a tourist restaurant then?

Well, tourist in the sense that that's who will mostly go there. If anyone local was wanting a nice dinner out, I think it would be a nice spot...

The Mean Bean was our breakfast spot of choice while we were there. Ate at the Pizza & Noodle a couple of times. Mmmm - The European Trail pizza was excellent. :thumb:

The consensus was that we would have to come back - probably together for more hiking/canyon adventures - but also with our respective families. I think my wife and kids would love both the park and the town of Springdale. Pleasant place to amble through - at least, it was near the end of September, midweek.

tanya
10-13-2006, 09:17 PM
Excellent stuff - thank you! We were already thinking that might have to be a must-do next time - you've confirmed it. For some of those fun little obstacles, do you take along anything of a technical nature - short rope, webbing, whatever? Need to get into more technical canyoneering, eventually - excellent, more equipment to buy! (Got tons of climbing stuff, gonna need the watery stuff!)

Semi-technical slot canyons like Orderville and The Subway are fun since you don't have to carry much gear or spend time rigging ropes. Whenever going into a semi-technical canyon or even some place that might have some iffy spots I make sure there is a rope along. Just check Shane's website or mine and there is a list of gear needed to take along for any canyon. Mine just has Zion and the GSENM. Shane's has canyon's galore.

Shanes
http://climb-utah.com

Well, tourist in the sense that that's who will mostly go there. If anyone local was wanting a nice dinner out, I think it would be a nice spot...

The Mean Bean was our breakfast spot of choice while we were there. Ate at the Pizza & Noodle a couple of times. Mmmm - The European Trail pizza was excellent. :thumb:

I like Pizza & Noodle too, but quit going because the pizzas were burnt the last 3 times. I tend to go to the Bit n' Spur a lot.

The consensus was that we would have to come back - probably together for more hiking/canyon adventures - but also with our respective families. I think my wife and kids would love both the park and the town of Springdale. Pleasant place to amble through - at least, it was near the end of September, midweek.[/quote]

I have always liked Springdale too. :nod:

No place beats Zion! :party:

Trish
09-30-2007, 10:28 PM
WOW, thanks for these excellent pics!

I know they are from last year but I am heading there next week and am so psyched to go....been wanting to do this trip for two years now.

AWESOME pictures!

:mrgreen:

Trish

tanya
10-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Looking at those dates..... Deja Vu :lol8:

Felicia
10-01-2007, 09:07 PM
We did Orderville yesterday. It was 24F when we left the truck at 7:30am. There was 7 of us and it was a long day, but we had a wonderful trip! Looking forward to going again next summer in the height of the heat. :-)

Cirrus2000
10-01-2007, 09:27 PM
It was 24F when we left the truck at 7:30am.:eek2:

:cold: BRRRR!!!! :cold:

Man, I hope the overnight lows warm up in the next week or so...

Trish, hope you have a great trip - maybe see you there! Look for the stunned guy with a Canadian accent, gaping around at the scenery. :rockon:

COUNTRYBOY
10-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Awesome phots. Looks like a great trip. The narrows are somthing that I have yet to do, it was on the list for this year, but I am not sure it will happen.
Cirrus2000, How much did it cost you to rent those dry suits? If I get a chance to do the narrows before it gets too cold I think IO might need a pair.

Cirrus2000
10-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Cirrus2000, How much did it cost you to rent those dry suits? If I get a chance to do the narrows before it gets too cold I think I might need a pair.
Got 'em at Zion Adventure Co. and I couldn't remember what they cost, so I looked it up on the internets. What a wonderful thing, the Wide Wide World of Web:

Rental List (http://www.zionadventures.com/complete_rental_equipment_price_list.html)
Cold Water Package (http://www.zionadventures.com/cold-water_narrows_rental_packages.html)

So, $29, which includes dry pants, 5.10 Canyoneers, neoprene socks and a walking stick. Worth every penny as the temps drop...

COUNTRYBOY
10-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Awesome thanks. Now I just need to find a day off and friend go with.