PDA

View Full Version : Flash Floods every where.

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
Highway 24 in Capitol Reef is partically washed out and has been reduced to one lane. The area has received nearly 3" of rain.

The entire San Rafael Swell and Robbers Roost area is a quagmire. All washes are running and the desert has standing water.

Raining hard in Cedar City. East Zion is seeing some massive flooding.

Cedar Mesa is getting slammed.

Moab has been hit hard.

:popcorn:

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM
FLOOD WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
204 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

UTC007-015-017-025-031-039-041-055-070800-204 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SALT LAKE CITY HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR RIVERS AND STREAMS IN THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES..
CARBON
EMERY
GARFIELD
KANE
EASTERN PIUTE
EASTERN SANPETE
MANTI
EASTERN SEVIER
WAYNE

* UNTIL 200 AM MDT SATURDAY

* STEADY RAINFALL BEGINNING ON THURSDAY MORNING CONTINUES TO FALL OVER THE WARN AREA AS OF FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THIS LOW INTENSITY LONG DURATION EVENT HAS FILLED ALL TRIBUTARIES...INCLUDING SLOT CANYONS AND DRY WASHES IN ADDITION TO MAINSTEM RIVERS. THIS RAINFALL IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE THROUGH EARLY SATURDAY MORNING. AS A RESULT...WATERWAYS IN THE WARN AREA ARE FORECAST TO REMAIN AT VERY DANGEROUS LEVELS.

* SIGNIFICANT RIVER RISES HAVE BEEN OBSERVED OVER THE WARNED AREA DURING THE PAST 8 HOURS. ADDITIONAL HEAVY RAINFALL IS ANTICIPATED THROUGH THE NIGHTTIME HOURS...FUELING HIGH RIVER FLOWS. AS THE RAINFALL DECREASES AT THAT TIME...IT WILL REQUIRE ADDITIONAL TIME FOR THE WATERWAYS TO DECREASE TO LOWER SAFER LEVELS.

PLEASE USE PRUDENT JUDGEMENT WHEN VENTURING NEAR THESE DANGEROUS WATERS. MOST WATERWAYS IN THE AREA ARE FLOWING VERY SWIFT...COLD...AND DANGEROUS. FLOODING MAY OCCUR IN AREAS WHERE RAINFALL HAS CEASED.

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
FLASH FLOOD WATCH

FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SALT LAKE CITY UT
1216 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS-CASTLE COUNTRY-SAN RAFAEL SWELL-CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS-HENRY MOUNTAINS-UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK-SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH-GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL-1216 PM MDT FRI OCT 6 2006

...FLASH FLOOD WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 9 PM MDT THIS EVENING..

THE FLASH FLOOD WATCH CONTINUES FOR

* PORTIONS OF CENTRAL UTAH AND SOUTHERN UTAH...INCLUDING THE FOLLOWING AREAS...IN CENTRAL UTAH...CASTLE COUNTRY...SAN RAFAEL SWELL AND WASATCH PLATEAU/BOOK CLIFFS. IN SOUTHERN UTAH...CENTRAL AND SOUTHWEST MOUNTAINS...GLEN CANYON RECREATION AREA/LAKE POWELL...HENRY MOUNTAINS...SOUTH CENTRAL UTAH AND UTAHS DIXIE AND ZION NATIONAL PARK.

* UNTIL 9 PM MDT THIS EVENING

* THIS FLASH FLOOD INCLUDES THE TOWNS OF PRICE...GREEN RIVER...HANKSVILLE...KANAB AND ST GEORGE.

* A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM OVER SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WILL MOVE THROUGH THE WATCH AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND EVENING. ABUNDANT MOISTURE AHEAD OF THE LOW PRESSURE WILL SPAWN NUMEROUS...AND AT TIMES HEAVY SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS.. THROUGH THE MIDDLE OF THIS EVENING. HEAVY RAINFALL WILL LIKELY PRODUCE FLASH FLODDING...ESPECIALLY IN AREAS THAT RECEIVED SIGNIFICANT RAINFALL ON THURSDAY.

A FLASH FLOOD WATCH MEANS THAT CONDITIONS MAY DEVELOP THAT LEAD TO FLASH FLOODING. FLASH FLOODING IS A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR LATER FORECASTS AND BE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLASH FLOOD WARNINGS BE ISSUED.

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 02:48 PM
FLASH FLOOD
CAPITOL REEF NP
WAYNE UT LAW ENFORCEMENT

HWY 24 UNDCERCUT...ONE LANE WASHED OUT. WATER RUNNING OVER ROADWAY EAST OF PARK. GRAND WASH IS FLOODED AS WELL. RAINFALL TOTAL IN CAPITOL REEF NP 2.78 INCHES

Reedus
10-06-2006, 03:50 PM
It makes me want to jump in the car and go observe the destruction. I always loved mother nature in action, especially flashfloods. Problem is, even with four wheel, the Swell and Roost are impassable with this kind of stuff. I'll bet SUWA is either not getting into the Swell, or if they are in, they sure as hell ain't comin out

James_B_Wads2000
10-06-2006, 05:04 PM
It makes me want to jump in the car and go observe the destruction. I always loved mother nature in action, especially flashfloods.

Me too, this is why I wish I lived in Sourthern Utah.

I'll bet SUWA is either not getting into the Swell, or if they are in, they sure as hell ain't comin out

Ha ha take that hippies!

James :smilehah:

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 05:06 PM
I've been stuck in the Swell more then once..... it ain't any fun.

asdf
10-06-2006, 05:17 PM
I've been stuck in the Swell more then once..... it ain't any fun.

Besides the LWC photos, do you have any other pics/vids of flash floods?

Sombeech
10-06-2006, 05:26 PM

Somebody was telling me they watched a clip on TV (The Men's Channel) a while back...

It showed 2-3 guys camping in a canyon, and in the morning they heard this loud rumbling up the canyon. About a minute later the camera looks up canyon, and sees this wall of water and logs rushing towards them. They shout to one another to get up the F-in wall, which they do. But the last guy up gets swept away. They were even all tied together to the wall.

Anybody know where we can find this?

asdf
10-06-2006, 05:32 PM
Wow, check this.
4 feet of water in some areas of Hanksville. I cant even fathom what the canyons of the swell are like right now.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=546520

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mesowest/getobext.php?sid=K4HV&table=1&banner=off

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 05:38 PM

Here are some spectacular pictures of a Zion Flashflood

Zion Canyon Flashflood
http://climb-utah.com/Zion/flash_zion.htm

I posted some White Canyon and Fry Canyon flashflood pics on uutah a while back. You can view them here.

White Canyon Flashflood
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3125

Fry Canyon Flashflood
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3128

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Flash Flood Traps Children in Bus
October 6th, 2006 @ 4:48pm

(KSL News) -- In Wayne county, heavy rain has caused -flash floods -- putting much of the town of Hanksville under nearly four feet of water.

A flash flood has trapped school children on a bus near Hanksville.

According to public safety officials, the kids were on their way home when the bus became surrounding by high water, even though it remains on dry land. The children range from 6th to 12th graders, and while the bus is on dry land, it cannot move because it's surrounded by water. Public safety officials said the bus driver is waiting for the water to recede and then will drive the kids to safety. We also have word that homes in the area are being evacuated.

Jeanie Jensen, a resident of Tavaputs Ranch, near Price tells us they have received over 5 inches of rain since Thursday morning. There is water and debris over Highway 24 between Cainville and Hanksville, as well as on Highwy 95, south of Hanksville. Capitol Reef Highway 24 has been undercut. One lane is washed out and the Grand Wash is Flooded.

More storms are expected in Northern Utah as well.

http://media.bonnint.net/slc/35/3527/352757.jpg

Pictures sent to KSL show an empty truck in Washington County being washed away.

Iceaxe
10-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Highway 24 is now closed

Storm Pounds Utah from North to South
October 6th, 2006 @ 10:20pm
KSL Team Coverage

A major storm is pounding almost every part of Utah tonight. Torrential rain is ravaging the hills above Layton where fires have wiped away groundcover. Several families have evacuated their homes.

In south central Utah, Wayne County is taking the brunt of the storm. Roads are washed out, buildings are damaged and a busload of schoolchildren found themselves stranded for a time. Hanksville seems to have been hit the hardest. It's stopped raining now, but for a time, we're told, it was ankle deep.

A school bus full of kids was stranded on Highway 24, between two washed out areas of the road. Rescue crews were called to get the kids out. Also, a trailer home was knocked off its foundation by rushing water. A rescue crew was called to that scene too. At the Best Value Hotel in Hanksville, water covered the floors of the rooms. The damage kept them from renting out any rooms. They used sandbags and tarps in an effort to stop more water from getting in.

Ed Bahr: (Reporter: Have you ever seen anything like that?) "No, I haven't. It was pretty incredible. We did okay until about 11:00. Then about 11:00 it broke over the dam on the main irrigation ditch.

Witnesses say water was eight to 12 feet over the top of that dam. Water covered Highway 24 and has even eroded it in some spots. It is closed right now. UHP is on both sides of the closure, directing traffic. Several homes have been evacuated in Layton because of fears from flooding due to a hillside that was stricken with fire earlier this year. Crews have sandbagged the area in an effort to protect the neighborhood.

The rain was falling hard around 6:00 tonight. City officials are very concerned about the danger of flooding because of the fire. So far there have been no reports of serious damage, but authorities decided to evacuate several homes in the area around 7:00 tonight, as a precaution. James Petre, Layton Police: "We started an evacuation that affected about seven to 10 homes, had those folks go down to Layton High School and meet there. During that time the weather let up some. Davis County flood control was able to come up, assess the situation; they were able to determine those homes were not in any danger at that time."

Volunteers were called out at about 8:00 to start filling sandbags. Within an hour, enough sandbags were placed along the danger spots that they feel they're in pretty good shape for now. While they may have dodged a bullet with flooding, there is still a lot of worry that the soil on the mountainside could be oversaturated. More rain could potentially cause a mudslide still.

Five to seven homes were also evacuated due to a backed up culvert. Rocks and storm debris from a waterlogged culvert has closed Big Cottonwood Canyon too. Crews tell us it's covering the road and they're trying to get bulldozers to clear it by tonight. Floodwaters are also threatening the town of Oak City in Millard County. The "Devil's Den" fire scorched thousands of acres in the area last August, taking with it ground cover. Heavy rains have been pouring down there all day, and tonight volunteers are filling sandbags and putting them along streams and around homes.

Mtnman1830
10-07-2006, 05:16 AM
Darn. I wanted to go to Goblin Valley and Little Wild Horse.

Sounds like I couldn't even get there if I wanted too...

fouristhenewone
10-07-2006, 06:49 AM
Some Pics from KSL.com show you how crazy this thing was. Looks like it hit hard all pver the state.

Iceaxe
10-07-2006, 09:55 AM
Poison Spider - Moab
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/35/3535/353585.JPG

Bullfrog - Lake Powell
http://media.bonnint.net/slc/35/3535/353594.JPG

accadacca
10-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Good Hell!! :eek2: Thanks for passing the pictures along... :popcorn:

Iceaxe
10-07-2006, 02:17 PM

Mtnman1830
10-07-2006, 03:23 PM
Just talked to my Grandpa today up here in O-Town, and he said he still had 35 acers of hay down. It will probably still be there in the spring....

basilone0331
10-07-2006, 04:35 PM
I have a video that Dave Rankin made of the first wall of water after a rainstorm in Wahweap drainage, if someone could tell me where I can upload a 17 meg. video file I will upload it.

basilone0331
10-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Uploaded to youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDeXJu1G-_w

Iceaxe
10-08-2006, 08:36 AM
:eek2: That is some cool footage..... thanks for posting. Imagine that wall of water getting squished down into a 3' wide slot

I'll make a suggestion that you send the video clip to the local news media's and I bet they air some of it on the news tonight.

basilone0331
10-08-2006, 10:15 AM
:eek2: That is some cool footage..... thanks for posting. Imagine that wall of water getting squished down into a 3' wide slot

I'll make a suggestion that you send the video clip to the local news media's and I bet they air some of it on the news tonight.

That is old footage I actually saw it on the fox 13 about 3 months ago. I downloaded it off of the guy's web page for free, but now he sells it for 15 dollars on a dvd.

James_B_Wads2000
10-08-2006, 01:38 PM

That is old footage I actually saw it on the fox 13 about 3 months ago. I downloaded it off of the guy's web page for free, but now he sells it for 15 dollars on a dvd.

Good job one uploading it on youtube! :2thumbs: Now the world can watch it for free. $15 a disc what a doorknob.

James

marc olivares
10-08-2006, 02:36 PM
wow.... super cool video.

watching the head of that flood reminded me of an extrude hone machine for porting manifolds and engines.
it's no wonder that these floods can posses such incredible carving power.

jumar
10-09-2006, 07:33 AM
We went poking around the irish canyons on Saturday after the flooding. Blarney just had wading, the subway in in Leprechaun had some deep water and mud.

Found a spot on the side of the road where the water was undercutting the road.
http://image14.webshots.com/14/5/78/28/2604578280027641630GyYQWQ_fs.jpg

Some pics of the canyons
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/554647915wfhrhZ?start=0

rock_ski_cowboy
10-09-2006, 10:10 AM
This wasn't any typical flash flood scenario. It was a widespread storm, very likely a 50 year storm. Every desert drainage in the colorado plateau has been cranking, as well as the whole western slope of the rockies (in CO), and it wasn't for just a few hours. To get an idea of the magnitude of the rainfall, below, I've reposted a TR a kayaker named Sam posted to several whitewater forums. Hope he doesn't mind me reposting his TR, its rather interesting, and if he posts on UUtah then thats really cool. Here is:

"I was able to get on the Dirty Devil this weekend for a sweet solo run. On Saturday I completed a 1 day decent of the dirty which is 80+ miles from
the bride at Hanksville to the bridge near the take out at Cataract canyon. I estimate the flow was between 15,000-20,000 cfs. The scenery is epic rivaling and other desert run I've done. The last 20 miles is a box canyon that typically contains a little stream bed gouged out of tamarisks and sediment. When I went on Sat it was wall to wall water to whole way. It was amazing to see a desert canyon alive with so much water. Rare moment in time in a cool place. I would highly, highly recommend it even at low flows. I wanted to stop in places and check out some of the side canyons (looks like sweet hiking) but was too busy paddling my ass off so that I didn't run out of water and get stuck in the canyon. I camped Sat night near the bridge close to Cat(aract Canyon). The next day the river had dropped 10 ft, down to about 2000 cfs.

People at the hole-in-the wall gas station said Lake Powell climbed 3.5 feet in 20 hours. They also said it was the highest the dirty devil had run since 1957. I got a ride from a group who did Cat and they said it went from 6500 to 35,000 while they were on the river.

At this flow it was class 3, mainly 6-8 foot sand waves and two class 4s. Not exactly the gnar but still a once in a life time flow.

Sam "

James_B_Wads2000
10-09-2006, 12:41 PM
Found a spot on the side of the road where the water was undercutting the road.
http://image14.webshots.com/14/5/78/28/2604578280027641630GyYQWQ_fs.jpg

Link not working

jumar
10-09-2006, 01:06 PM
Webshots sucks
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2604578280027641630GyYQWQ

James_B_Wads2000
10-09-2006, 02:17 PM
From nothing to almost 5,000 cfs back to nothing. Damn, I wish I could have seen it. :frustrated:

James

Mtnbiker
10-09-2006, 08:22 PM
WOW! :bath:

We'll be in the swell and Cap Reef(I think!) around the 18/19th.. I wonder what it'll be like down there? I'll be sure to take plenty of pics.

Alex
10-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Those spikes were observed everywhere. I down around Green River/Moab on Saturday/Sunday, the Swasey Rapid (Upper Green River take out) was washed out and people were stranded there until heavy equipment came in to rescue them.

nat
10-10-2006, 01:41 PM
Those spikes were observed everywhere. I down around Green River/Moab on Saturday/Sunday, the Swasey Rapid (Upper Green River take out) was washed out and people were stranded there until heavy equipment came in to rescue them.

Stefan and I were down in the Escalante Wednesday thru Sunday to do CHoprock, Neon and the Bakers. We camped on a bench just up Neon from the mouth. On Thursday morning, we hiked to the head of Choprock, but with thunder and lightening off to the west, it seemed a bit to much like russian roullette to drop in, so we decided to spend the rest of the afternoon scouting an entrance to upper Neon, which we found. It rained moderately, and Neon developed a pretty good flow, and we felt we made the right decision not to enter Choprock. Thursday night, it rained almost all night, and we could hear lower Neon raging below our site. Friday morning it rained very intensely for two half hour periods and merely strongly for another few hours. From the water filling my cup left outside, I estimated that it rained at least 5 inches. The rain finally stopped in the afternoon, and I got out of the tent. Lower Neon was flowing around 500-1000cfs. No canyoneering today! A couple of hours later, Neon stopped flowing and started backing up, looking like a lake at the lower end. We assumed there was a dam formed lower near the mouth. We climbed up on the rim between lower Neon and the Escalante to see what was going on. The sight from the rim was the most astonishing thing I have ever seen outdoors. The Escalante was raging windgate wall to wingate wall, around 400 feet wide at the mouth of Neon. It must have been at least 30,000cfs. It certainly more than I have ever seen the Colorado or Green rivers.

The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool. On Sunday we did Choprock, which was amazing with all of the water. It also still had a flow. It also had several more logjams than the previous times I have done it, a couple of them pretty difficult to get over. Monday morning, the Escalante was way down and we had no problem crossing it, and hiking back to our car at Egypt. Crossing 25 mile wash on the Egypt road was brutal. In fact there was no road in sight 75ft on either side of the wash. We just barely made it in the 4runner after a fair amount of "road work".

Iceaxe
10-10-2006, 01:54 PM

I hope one of you had a camera.... pictures of this would be fun :2thumbs:

Scott P
10-10-2006, 02:54 PM
I have never seen anything like it. This was a 100 year storm. Rivers (not creeks!) almost 1000 feet high were pouring off all the cliffs in Capitol Reef National Park. I was afraid to take out my camera, but had to for one shot.

The campground in Capitol Reef itself was a river. Cliffs were collapsing as well with landslides galore. Parts of Hanksville (supposedly the 2nd driest place in the state) were under 5 feet of water and a family had to be rescued by hovercraft. Every backcountry road was closed and highway 24 was washed out in one place and buried by debri in others. That morning rivers were also flowing along the highway to Moab.

Another storm hit Monday when we were hiking out even though when we left they claimed 20% chance of rain. More flooding, but we got out of there as fast as we could. Dozens of waterfalls were spilling off the cliffs in Chimney Rock Canyon.

The storm in Hanksville produced 3.00 inches of rain on the 7th alone, plus quite a bit more on the other dates. This record was 8 times the old record for the date and almost double the all time record for any date on any day of the year. Records in Hanksville go back to 1898.

Scott Card
10-10-2006, 03:43 PM
You folks who were in the middle of this storm are killing me if you didn't have a camara. Like Shane said, a few photos would be very nice. Please?

Scott P
10-10-2006, 04:10 PM
I'll post a good one tomorrow. I actually had two cameras, but neither was waterproof. :doh:

nat
10-10-2006, 05:33 PM
You folks who were in the middle of this storm are killing me if you didn't have a camara. Like Shane said, a few photos would be very nice. Please?

Stefan had a camera and took some photos. There should be some good ones of the Escalante from the ridge a couple hundred feet above. He'll probably post some when he gets back to Boston.

Alex
10-11-2006, 07:17 AM
You guys should really invest in Pentax WP camera. The best thing I have bought so far. If you like any sports activity with water around, this camera is a life saver. I use mine on rafting/kayaking trips, used it going through Cheesebox with Ice and the gang, use it during the rain and fishing. I even took it down Colorado river last weekend, when the river was filled with silt. My camera was covered in mud and water, but was taking movies and pics none stop!

tanya
10-11-2006, 07:32 AM
You guys should really invest in Pentax WP camera. The best thing I have bought so far. If you like any sports activity with water around, this camera is a life saver. I use mine on rafting/kayaking trips, used it going through Cheesebox with Ice and the gang, use it during the rain and fishing. I even took it down Colorado river last weekend, when the river was filled with silt. My camera was covered in mud and water, but was taking movies and pics none stop!

What model do you have?

Alex
10-11-2006, 07:53 AM
W10, love it

Here is a video I recorded, the camera is mounted on top of my helmet

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=68176095480347800&q=westwater

utidcapaco
10-11-2006, 07:55 AM
I have one, too. It's the Pentax Optio W10. Waterproof for up to 30 minutes at 5', I think. Here are a couple threads on this site about it:

http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3126
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3031

Kazak has some nice pics of his helmet cam. I took mine in a wet Gravel Canyon with no problems.

tanya
10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
These are great guys! I carry around a heavy and big Olympus 8.0. I have a waterproof case for it but then it really gets big! It also reduces the light I get when I am in a slot canyon so I have only used it once for that. The waterproof case seems to work well for a lake or something, but its too much for the canyons. Maybe its time to get something smaller like what you guys suggest.

:five:

Alex
10-11-2006, 09:01 AM
I just noticed Pentax released W20 camera, seems like just 1 megapixel bigger than what we have (W10). I got my camera from Costco for 260 or something.... it takes SD ram, plenty fast and takes great videos. Also has 3x optical and a huge screen to view the pics.

If you do end up getting the camera, I'd recommend the case I got from Inkleys. It's a neoprean case, very small and has a velcro latch which is very easy to attach to a shoulder strap of your backpack and have an easy access when the camera is needed.

I'd also recommend a second battery, I got mine from Ebay for like 10 bucks shipped. I have a 2GB memory chip and it seems like it's just enough for all my movies and pictures during a 2-3 day trip. I think I can fit about 10-15 mins of video (30 fps) and about 100-150 pics.

Happy shooting :2thumbs:

Alex
10-11-2006, 09:03 AM
These are great guys!

Well thank you, we try to work out and keep our sexy form :haha:

tanya
10-11-2006, 09:05 AM
These are great guys!

Well thank you, we try to work out and keep our sexy form :haha:

Sexy form!!!!! I want to see :nod:

Alex
10-11-2006, 09:17 AM
:bootyshake:

moabfool
10-11-2006, 09:27 AM
The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool.

I'm heading down to do Neon in a couple weeks. How's the keeper looking? I know that thing fills and empties on a regular basis.

Scott Card
10-11-2006, 09:29 AM

I love to hear the report and recommendation cause that is exactly the camera I bought a few weeks ago. I have been out in the rain to take photos of accident scenes and clients cars so far and will be in Heaps, next week, weather permitting. Great photos, really brings out the dings and dents in cars. Hope I can get as good of photos in Heaps as you did in Cheesebox. Hey do you use anything to protect the display screen or the lens? I have one of the rubber covers to help with bumps and scrapes but it obviously does not cover the display or lens. Also, what settings do you use in the dark slots sections?

Alex
10-11-2006, 09:34 AM
I use my case (described above) to protect it while I am climbing around. Also the camera is attached to my case via a cord, I can take a pic and show you if you like. In case I drop it so I don't lose the camera or it hits the ground. The lens is the only problem I have with the camera. I don't know how I can cover it to help with protection.

My protection.... I got it at Costco.... if it really gets banged up, I'll just take it back.

I always shoot on P mode and use a fill in flash. I never have the camera on Auto, just a personal choice. Also, try to not use Zoom in the slot. The Aperature would be open more with smaller zoom and the pics woulnd't be as flashed out, because you won't need as much of a flash.

Hope this helps.

asdf
10-11-2006, 09:53 AM
I'll post a good one tomorrow. I actually had two cameras, but neither was waterproof. :doh:

Ready and waiting for the pics, I am exicted to seem them.

Scott Card
10-11-2006, 09:54 AM
I actually looked at Costco but they didn't carry it. And yes, a photo of your cover and set up would be helpful. Thanks for going to the trouble. One day soon I am going to learn to post photos now that I have a digital camera. One more question, how long does the battery charge stay good. Would you recommend a spare for an overnighter in say... Heaps?

Alex
10-11-2006, 10:23 AM
Scott, actualy I doubt you'd run out of the battery in a weekend. But that said I can list at least 3-4 times that my battery died perfectly at the wrong time. So I always pack a spare battery with me. The charge of a single battery lasted me over 15 minutes of video and about ~70 shots with about 30 of them with a flash (just to give you an idea).

For 10 bucks per extra battery, you can't go wrong :)

Check out Google's Picasa for editing AND posting pictures online for free. I'd say it's the easiest way to share the pictures on the internet now.

http://picasa.google.com/

James_B_Wads2000
10-11-2006, 02:14 PM
. Lower Neon was flowing around 500-1000cfs. No canyoneering today! A couple of hours later, Neon stopped flowing and started backing up, looking like a lake at the lower end. We assumed there was a dam formed lower near the mouth. We climbed up on the rim between lower Neon and the Escalante to see what was going on. The sight from the rim was the most astonishing thing I have ever seen outdoors. The Escalante was raging windgate wall to wingate wall, around 400 feet wide at the mouth of Neon. It must have been at least 30,000cfs. It certainly more than I have ever seen the Colorado or Green rivers.

Crossing 25 mile wash on the Egypt road was brutal. In fact there was no road in sight 75ft on either side of the wash. We just barely made it in the 4runner after a fair amount of "road work".

Glad to hear you 4Runner got you out. That is an amazing TR, Nat. I would have given my left nut to see what you just described. I could keep my pair if you guys would just post a pic or two. I hate to say it but: http://uutah.com/forum/files/needpics.gif

You guys (as in everybody in this forum) have got to see your cameras as disposable. That is these once in a lifetime shots and memories are more valuable than the cameras. And if you don't agree then you need to by a cheaper camera to take out there.

James

Yeah 4Runner!!!
http://uutah.com/forum/files/picture_024__small_.jpg

tanya
10-14-2006, 06:55 PM
East Zion is seeing some massive flooding.

Did a couple of quick hikes today in Zion with the family. It was raining pretty hard so there were waterfalls galore. Here is a couple of shots. One from Temple of Sinawava and the other farthern down on the Riverside Walk Trail.

Iceaxe
10-14-2006, 10:01 PM
Friday night and Saturday (Oct. 14) it rained hard in the Swell, it rained hard in the Roost and it rained hard in Moab. Every dirt road I inspected was a major mud bog. Off highway travel is not recommended for at least the next couple of days.

I have been told it also rained hard in Zion and that the dirt roads on the Zion Ponderosa and Orderville access are a mess.

I'm pretty certain that every pothole in the state is currently full of water. The biggest positive is I have been seeing a lot of cool waterfall pictures.

:bandit2:

stefan
10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
The next day dawned perfectly clear, and we headed up to do Neon. It was of course full of water, and had some flow still. Rappeling through the Golden Cathedral in a waterfall was pretty cool.

I'm heading down to do Neon in a couple weeks. How's the keeper looking? I know that thing fills and empties on a regular basis.

hmm, i just noticed this post.

uhh, let's just say we saw no keeper as it was completely submerged in water and was overflowing with water on the opposite end. as a result there was no way to assess the level of sand in the pothole.

(for an image of the keeper) http://photographutah.org/gallery/neon/aap?set_fullOnly=on

stefan
10-17-2006, 02:03 PM
hey scott, did you post that image from CR? did i miss it somewheres?

i was looking forward to seeing it.

moabfool
10-17-2006, 02:39 PM

hmm, i just noticed this post.

uhh, let's just say we saw no keeper as it was completely submerged in water and was overflowing with water on the opposite end. as a result there was no way to assess the level of sand in the pothole.

(for an image of the keeper) http://photographutah.org/gallery/neon/aap?set_fullOnly=on

I love swimming. Full of sand, full of water, it makes no difference to me. :popcorn: Thanks for the info.

Scott P
10-17-2006, 02:49 PM
hey scott, did you post that image from CR?

I looked at it and it didn't turn out very well. I was disappointed. :angryfire:

stefan
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
bump ...

did anyone get any good shots of the flooding last year?

feel like postin' em?

tanya
10-05-2007, 03:15 PM
Have some from Zion but not from last year....

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/index42.htm

http://www.zionnational-park.com/images/albums/images/weepingrock-trail_jpg.jpg