PDA

View Full Version : Good places to camp with dogs?

fouristhenewone
09-25-2006, 08:03 AM
I have two malamutes, and am looking for any suggestions as to good places to take them camping. My biggest concern is trying to get away from other campers as well as livestock. My younger one isn't a big fan of sheep if you catch my drift. I live in SLC. Any recommendations for next weekend?

Sombeech
09-25-2006, 08:24 AM
Are you planning on packing in a ways?

fouristhenewone
09-25-2006, 08:39 AM
I certainly am willing to do that.

asdf
09-25-2006, 09:38 AM
What about Joes Valley?

fouristhenewone
09-25-2006, 10:00 AM
ya ya ya. only if you like fresh lamb.

crazy horse
09-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Well if you're willing to drive for an hour or so, just head up to the uintas. I'm sure you can find plenty of places without another hiker/camper for miles. If you don't want to drive, i don't really know what to tell you. There are some places up millcreek canyon that you can have all to yourself, but it really all depends on luck, and if your dogs aren't real fond of others, i wouldn't chance it, cause you'll probably see at least a few people on the trail.

James_B_Wads2000
09-26-2006, 07:06 AM
I have two malamutes, and am looking for any suggestions as to good places to take them camping. My biggest concern is trying to get away from other campers as well as livestock. My younger one isn't a big fan of sheep if you catch my drift. I live in SLC. Any recommendations for next weekend?

Go West. Out in the West Desert there are many places where you can be all alone all weekend long. The best two are about 4hrs from SLC they are Notch Peak in the House Range and Ibapah in the Deep Creeks. I went to Ibapah on the 24th of July weekend and saw exactly zero people the two days I was in Granite Creek Canyon.

Camping in the Amasa Valley or Miller Canyon in the House Range would be premo this time of year. Both places are almost always empty. Nearby Sawtooth Canyon provides an easy hike to the top of Notch Peak.

Notch Peak and the Amasa Valley (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3182)
Ibapah and The Deep Creeks (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3080)

If the west doesn

fouristhenewone
09-27-2006, 12:04 PM
James,

thanks for your suggestions, I was actually planning on heading out to the deep creeks this weekend. do you think that granite canyon would be a good site to camp with my dogs off leash, or is there better places to camp out there?

don't get me wrong, my dogs get along with other people and dogs just fine, I just want to get away from atv's and such that my dogs like to chase. I hate having to have my dogs on leash just because someone wants to cruise up and down the road on a four wheeler. The other problem, with places like Joe's Valley is that my younger puppy is not good around free range sheep. He quickly returns to his instinctual hunting mode.

James_B_Wads2000
09-27-2006, 10:26 PM
James,

thanks for your suggestions, I was actually planning on heading out to the deep creeks this weekend. do you think that granite canyon would be a good site to camp with my dogs off leash, or is there better places to camp out there?

Granite Canyon is the nicest canyon in the Deep Creek I have seen yet. It is the one that the road gets very far up. There are three really good camping sites up there. One just after the first stream crossing that any carefully driven car could make it to. The other two are 4WD only (or HCV). One is just before the second stream crossing and the last is about 200yards up the road from the second stream crossing. Only about at 14 mile passed that is the WSA marker. In theory nobody should be ATVing passed there. I would camp at one of those two places and hike upcanyon.

There maybe people out there ATVing out there, but hopefully they wouldn

fouristhenewone
09-28-2006, 07:57 AM
James,

Thanks for the info. As far as what made me want to go out there, it was originally my dad talking about camping out there. He gave me information on a bunch of different places out west earlier this summer, and I spent a weekend a few months ago out in the Marjum Canyon/Notch Peak/Gandy Warm Springs area. I originally had planned on taking my wife and dogs out that way, but when I saw your TR on the Deep Creeks I remembered my dad talking about that area and decided I'd like to go explore that area.

Anyways, thanks again for the info and the pics, I'm really excited about heading out there tomorrow.

James_B_Wads2000
09-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Right on man, have fun out there. Bring back some pics, colors should be getting nice out there by now.

James

asdf
09-28-2006, 01:37 PM
Dont foget to get pictures of your mischievous four legged friends.