PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Iron Butt = 1000 miles, one day.

accadacca
09-22-2006, 09:54 PM
Doublemoo, myself and two other friends are planning an Iron Butt for next Friday the 29th. We will be required to have people sign us off along the way and keep fuel receipts to prove our path. We will send in our paper work to the Iron Butt associates after the ride and they will verify. If you haven't heard of this read here: http://www.ironbutt.com/about/default.cfm

I am attaching our proposed route below. Now we just wait, watch the weather, get our gear ready, load our ipods and rest our butts. :lol8:

fourtycal
09-25-2006, 12:35 PM
:crazycobasa: Thats nuts! I wish I could join you :haha: .
That trek from Cortez to Kanab is a killer, Long stretch of nothing! :slobber1: And watch out for the Reservation cops.
Have fun! Maybe I'll catch it next year.

accadacca
09-30-2006, 09:25 PM
WE MADE IT!!! :five:

I just updated the map above to reflect our actual path. Man am I tired...trip report coming soon.

accadacca
10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
Ok so here is what I have. Not too many pictures when yer trying to turn 1000 in a day and make it back alive. You basically fly by things and occasionally ride by something and you say, "That looked cool." Then you turn your head and keep going...no time to stop or think some more. So you end up with pictures at gas stations and stuff. I ended up only taking a couple pictures the whole trip and it happened to be at the Navajo Bridge parking area and visitors center. Doublemoo got a few at gas stations and such.

So we left Draper Friday morning at about 6:30AM and returned at about 1:00AM Saturday Morning. It was about 17 hours in the saddle. It is cool to tell people that you rode a 1000 in a day and see their faces. But I am not sure right now that I would want to do it again? :ne_nau: I am still pretty blazed over the whole experience and its 3 days later. Anyway enjoy the pix... :five:

double moo
10-03-2006, 10:21 AM
I had a god time! Nice to do it just to see if you can - kind of like that first marathon some people will run. Only they train their whole body... us just our asses.

Just some thoughts after the ride.

I thought we chose well on the route. Enough scenery, twisties, and fluctuations to keep it mildly interesting - and keep you awake. Some have said that the easiest Ironbutt rides are all freeway - I think the boredom would have made me feel more tired/sleepy. The last 4 hours coming up I-15 were the straightest and flattest section and the most difficult to stay focused on.

Though I felt fine till the end I realized that I was making minor mistakes that can be attributed to fatigue. In the Orem area a nice pick-up passed us and I was admiring it - when I looked up I was 10' off of Dave's rear tire and gaining fast. Just some minor concentration glitches that can become deadly at 70mph.

Though i like to ride for the sake of riding... it is nice to stop and smell the roses while you are at it. When we rode to Canada this spring we had no real destination. We got up in the morning checked the weather and decided a direction to head - not sure how far we would go, what we would find, or where we would stay. We stopped and experienced some incredible things because of our free attitude. An Irunbutt ride takes this opportunity away - not that it's a bad thing... just a different experience.

Having a goal and doing whatever it takes to complete it is rather satisfying. Completing it with friends makes it even better. Though we ride in our own little cocoons of gear and helmets, with no real communication save for the occasional hand signals, each listening to our own music, we forge a bond by having survived this together.

It's called "adventure riding" for a reason - each of us has our own definition of an adventure. To some a jaunt over the Alpine Loop is an adventure - for others a weekend exploring the West Desert - still others a must ride through Africa. This Ironbutt is just another adventure that pushes our limits and spits out stronger riders and people - and just maybe a little more in tune with their abilities and comfort levels.

I'm glad I went... and thank you Accadacca for taking the time to join me.

BrainDamage
10-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Nice Tirp report, Looks like it would have been a blast.

fourtycal
10-03-2006, 11:22 AM
I have ridden a few 10 hour 600 mile days, I feel the jetlag just reading about your trip.
What a great feat and something to remember forever. I very much enjoyed the read. Thanks!

:popcorn:

accadacca
10-03-2006, 12:41 PM
Yup. This trip was awesome! I couldn't help but get a grin throughout the ride when I looked down at my trip meter and thought about what we were doing. Plus yes this route was the best choice for the scenery. It made it all worth it and a straight highway would have just sucked. When we left in the morning and started riding I was confident that we could make it and I felt good about the task at hand. High fives all around... :five:

double moo
10-03-2006, 05:32 PM
Even as we revel in our triumph... once again we must consider what pussies we are...

http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-775282.html

this is one tough guy...

accadacca
10-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Even as we revel in our triumph... once again we must consider what pussies we are...

http://www.heraldsun.com/state/6-775282.html

this is one tough guy...
So what was this guy riding???

double moo
10-04-2006, 06:26 AM
I was linked to this off AdventureRider. I believe it said somewhere that he was on a Gold Wing.

Still... pretty tough individual....

utidcapaco
10-10-2006, 07:12 PM
That's incredible, guys. Way to go! Most impressive. :nod:

tanya
10-19-2006, 09:41 AM
Fredonia!!!! You missed the good stuff ---- Going through Kanab to Mt. Carmel Junction (where I am) and then through Zion to St. George! Just don't race those bikes through the Tunnels.

Fun trip report. :cool2:

Capodave
11-10-2006, 09:11 PM
Okay Double Moo and Accadacca, I've read the ride report posted at: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3752 :popcorn: and it makes me want to go on another ride. What do you think about another Iron Butt 1000 with a chance at a Butt Burner 1500 the following day? Next spring sometime.

Wait a minute...I need to go to the garage and see if 'Mariella' is okay. Yes, all Aprilias have Italian names. :oops:

Okay...I'm back. Yes, she is okay but lonely out there. Anyway, I think it is not too soon to start planning. That was a part of the fun.

double moo
11-10-2006, 09:56 PM
Late June - first thousand to Anacortes, WA. When we wake up we'll skip the bun burner and take the ferry to Vancouver Island . 325 miles of beautiful Vancouver Island later we can take another ferry ride then bomb through BC.... Maybe take some pictures this time!!

Capodave
11-10-2006, 10:16 PM
All that water made me have to go! Okay...later June, but not too close to July 4th. I don't want to play 'Bumper Cars'. Would that take us through Bend, Oregon? I'd like to ride to the west of there. See them thar hills.

accadacca
11-11-2006, 08:44 AM
Hey Fellers,

I started a new topic about next years ride plans here: http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3953

acca

accadacca
01-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Well it took 15 or 16 months, but it's official. I got this snazzy license plate dillio, a certificate (now proudly displayed in my office), a jacket pin, and a few stickers.

http://bogley.com/forum/files/beemer_966.jpg

tanya
01-21-2008, 10:12 PM
:2thumbs:

live2ride
01-22-2008, 06:21 PM
Well it took 15 or 16 months, but it's official. I got this snazzy license plate dillio, a certificate (now proudly displayed in my office), a jacket pin, and a few stickers.

http://bogley.com/forum/files/beemer_966.jpg

Very nice, so what are the plans for this years ride?

accadacca
01-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Very nice, so what are the plans for this years ride?
Need to get double moo on here. He was talking about heading down to Mexico.

double moo
01-27-2008, 06:58 AM
Tenatively planning to leave the first weekend in April.

Friday - head to Phoenix for the night.

Saturday - Get up in time to hit the border at Nogales by 10:00 or so - sometines you get right through... sometimes it takes a while! Head for Guymas where we need to catch the 8:00pm ferry across the Sea of Cortez to Santa Rosalia.

Sunday - Head south to Loreto for some deep sea fishing!

Monday - start working our way back up the Baja taking our time and seeing where the road takes us...

5 more days of working our way home!!!

accadacca
02-23-2008, 02:24 PM
Didn't take long to get my passport renewed, only a couple weeks. Just got it in the mail. . . :2thumbs: