PDA

View Full Version : anyone know where this is ?

goofball
09-20-2006, 06:35 PM
all i know is outside of roosevelt, ut. looks cool.

Mtnman1830
09-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Not quite sure, but is it the Yellowstone?

shaggy125
09-20-2006, 07:22 PM
It's Bridal Veil Falls in Provo Canyon.

http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Bridal-Veil-Falls-Provo-Canyon-Utah-Posters_i907422_.htm

http://www.ustravelphotos.com/Utah/images/UT%2001P%20Bridal%20Veil%20Falls4.jpg

Iceaxe
09-20-2006, 08:14 PM
Also extremely popular with ice climbers in winter.

http://www.painetworks.com/photos/hd/hd1947.JPG

This pic was taken by Stan McQueen, who I believe hangs in this forum occationally.

goofball
09-20-2006, 08:29 PM
thanks for those clarifications. what i had read made it sound like this was very near roosevelt.

thats a pretty cool fall...

price1869
09-21-2006, 06:44 AM
Speaking of . . .

What ever happened to the name that location contest? I miss that. (not that I can play since I'm stuck in this hell hole, Texas, where the heat index is supposed to be 110 tomorrow. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :frustrated: )

We could still play. Maybe I have a location or two in my files. Anyway, It's a lot more fun than the "caption this" threads.

Price

Scott P
09-21-2006, 07:28 AM
Also extremely popular with ice climbers in winter.

After climbing (more accurately attempting) the South Ridge of Timpanogos, I have come to the conclusion that people climbing Bridal Veil are nuts. Wish I had a good photo to show them why.

We could still play. Maybe I have a location or two in my files.

I could post a few.

rockgremlin
09-21-2006, 07:44 AM
Speaking of . . .

What ever happened to the name that location contest? I miss that. (not that I can play since I'm stuck in this hell hole, Texas, where the heat index is supposed to be 110 tomorrow. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah :frustrated: )

We could still play. Maybe I have a location or two in my files. Anyway, It's a lot more fun than the "caption this" threads.

Price

What're you doing in Texas? Come back! We need your cool trip reports.

About the "Where is it?" contest.....it got discontinued a while ago. However I think with the added membership, we should think about bringing it back. I was told that it didn't get completely deleted, just removed so that we could bring it back another time if we wanted to.

I think the contests should be more difficult, and the prizes bigger. I am willing to take locations from anybody...either you or Scott. Just send me the images and exact location, and I'll take it from there.

Admin....are you copying this?

jumar
09-21-2006, 07:51 AM
Which I had a good photo to show them why.

Okay, Why?

Scott P
09-21-2006, 08:04 AM
Okay, Why?

Because the falls sit at the bottom of one of the biggest avalanche chutes in the country. The chute drops for 4000 feet. Scary stuff. You can't see it from below. Never thought of it before until seeing it from a higher elevation, but of course the tram got taken out as well by a huge avalanche.

jumar
09-21-2006, 08:13 AM
of course the tram got taken out as well by a huge avalanche.

:cold: True true

asdf
09-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Which I had a good photo to show them why.

Okay, Why?

Its VERY exposed to slides, the red arrow points to the climbing area, Its only a matter of time before someone gets buried up there.

jumar
09-21-2006, 09:33 AM
I was just curious WHICH reason he thought they were crazy. There's so many...
LOL

Iceaxe
09-21-2006, 09:47 AM
I was just curious WHICH reason he thought they were crazy. There's so many...

:roflol:

Ya have to be crazy to climb a giant Popsicle :five:

accadacca
09-21-2006, 12:43 PM
The (Where is it?) thread is still there just hidden. It is waiting for its rebirth...

Sombeech
09-21-2006, 01:47 PM
The (Where is it?) thread is still there just hidden. It is waiting for its rebirth...

Yeah, no kidding. We had these prizes and everything, but nobody was interested. We should bring it back to the "new" generation.

accadacca
09-21-2006, 04:29 PM
Yeah, no kidding. We had these prizes and everything, but nobody was interested. We should bring it back to the "new" generation.
If rockG and you want to tag team running the sucker. Contest #4 for the headlamp was still open and never won. We could prolly get free stuff from vendors to use and post their logo??

Sombeech
09-21-2006, 07:41 PM
We could prolly get free stuff from vendors to use and post their logo??

Yeah, I wonder who we should hit up.

rockgremlin
09-22-2006, 06:22 AM
We could prolly get free stuff from vendors to use and post their logo??

Yeah, I wonder who we should hit up.

I know CanyoneeringUSA.com and Climb-Utah would be willing to offer their stuff at a discount. When I contacted Bentgear.com about this before they were a bit leery. REI stuck their nose up in the air at us -- one of the reasons why I hate REI so much...greedy corporate bastards!!

Aside from that, I'm open to suggestions.

asdf
09-22-2006, 06:37 AM
Well while you guys figure that one out...
I will pay-pal 1$ to any one that can name this correctly!
How is that for a prize!

Reedus
09-22-2006, 06:54 AM
That would be Eardley Canyon in the Swell

rockgremlin
09-22-2006, 07:13 AM

Looks kinda like Eardley, but I can't be certain. I've only ever seen Lower Eardley. Would that section be up high?

stefan
09-22-2006, 07:34 AM
not upper eardley ... there aren't potholes and drops like that in upper eardley.

asdf
09-22-2006, 07:42 AM

Wow,
Its Red Draw about 200 yards before it Meets up with Eardley.

asdf
09-22-2006, 08:18 AM
Reedus if you want your buck PM me your paypal info.

accadacca
09-22-2006, 08:44 AM
We really should be able to hit up any outdoor retailer for prizes. We can give them a logo and link. This site gets a ton of local hits and our users are the people that shop at these places. Really its their loss if they don't want to roll with us...

Reedus
09-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Donate it to Acca for Uutah. I am not sure I would know how to spend such a sum of money

rockgremlin
09-22-2006, 11:04 AM
We really should be able to hit up any outdoor retailer for prizes. We can give them a logo and link. This site gets a ton of local hits and our users are the people that shop at these places. Really its their loss if they don't want to roll with us...

I agree.

Sombeech
09-22-2006, 11:25 AM

I agree.

Ditto. They don't understand that it's almost free advertising. We'll slap their logo up on the header, and they put up a small donation. Hell, we can leave them up there for quite a while, too.

These retailers will get free samples from their wholesalers of various items, all they'd have to do is hand one off.

Shan
09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
thanks for those clarifications. what i had read made it sound like this was very near roosevelt.

thats a pretty cool fall...

I have lived in Roosevelt and let me tell you there is nothing that pretty near there.

Scott P
09-22-2006, 02:43 PM
I have lived in Roosevelt and let me tell you there is nothing that pretty near there.

Hmmm, I would disagree. Lots of petroglyphs, a few (short) slot canyons, some nice cliffs, and not far north is the Uintas.

Shan
09-23-2006, 08:23 AM
Sure you can drive aways and get to the Uintas, Nine Mile or Fantasy Canyon type stuff - that is cool. But "very near" to me would be the town or just outside of town. But I think we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Scott P
09-23-2006, 09:01 AM
But "very near" to me would be the town or just outside of town.

With the Uintas yes, but not the other ones I pointed out. I just happen to like cliffs, petroglyphs, and slot canyons even if short. All those are only a few minutes from town, except for the short slot canyon which might be a 20 minute drive.

But I think we can agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yes, I agree.