PDA

View Full Version : Cheap GPS?

BrainDamage
09-20-2006, 11:50 AM
With the Geology class I am taking now it has given me an excuse to buy a GPS I don't need all of the bells and whistles I just need something simple and looking to get one for under $100 so I have been looking at two models from Garmin the Garmin eTrex Venture and Garmin eTrex I been looking at EBay and found a few in that price range. What are your opinions on these 2 model? any other suggestions?
Thanks GG

shagster
09-20-2006, 12:49 PM
I owned a Garmin Etrex GPS for about two years. This is a great beginner GPS that has great functionality, is easy to use, and relatively inexpensive. I never experienced any problems with this GPS, the only reason I upgraded to a Legend was to be able to download maps. If all you need is basic GPS capabilities this one will work great. Walmart.com is the cheapest I have seen at $78.95. Good luck.

Udink
09-20-2006, 01:15 PM
I agree with Shagster, any of the eTrex series is great for beginners. The only thing I would recommend is deciding whether you want to be able to download and upload waypoints and track logs, because the extra money you spend on that feature is well worth it. Having to enter waypoints manually is a pain, and being able to download your track log and view it on your computer (if you have the right mapping software) is a great feature. If neither of those things are something you care about, then the basic yellow eTrex would be a fine choice.

shagster
09-20-2006, 02:45 PM
Even the basic Etrex GPS is capable of linking with a PC to download and manage waypoints, trips, etc. You can either purchase the Garmin mapping software or use a free downloadable software such as EasyGPS. The only thing you need is the cable.

Udink
09-20-2006, 03:26 PM
Even the basic Etrex GPS is capable of linking with a PC to download and manage waypoints, trips, etc. You can either purchase the Garmin mapping software or use a free downloadable software such as EasyGPS. The only thing you need is the cable.
Cool, thanks the correction. I always thought it didn't even have the capability, but I guess it's not such a bad unit after all. :smile:

BrainDamage
09-20-2006, 10:35 PM
I think I found me a good buy for a Garmin eTrex Legend with www.Tigerdirect.com

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1648509&sku=G145-0026 what do you think?

shagster
09-21-2006, 11:29 AM
That's a great deal, I think I paid $139 for mine just six months ago. This is a very sweet unit, you will love it. I also have the topo maps of the U.S.(borrowed from a friend) and they are a great addition. Enjoy

BrainDamage
09-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys I just purchased the Garmin eTrex Legend fromTigerdirect.com for $119.99 + $18.63 for 2 day shipping I also purchased the and extra 1 year warenty for $19.99 with my luck I know I will need it. Thanks for all the help.
By the way shagster is this a fairly eazy unit to operate? What about downloading maps to it?

shagster
09-21-2006, 12:11 PM
You will be amazed at how easy you can navigate this GPS. In fact don't think I have even looked at the instruction booklet and I feel like I can use every function with out problems. As far as maps go, you need to get a copy of the Garmin topo mapsand the Trip and waypoint manager or a program like easyGPS. I did not want to spend the extra money, so I found them by asking around ( sure it is illegal but hey). Once you have these you are all set. Just choose the maps you want and hit the send to device button. That's all there is too it. Let me know if you have any other questions.