PDA

View Full Version : The snow is here

shaggy125
09-17-2006, 09:36 AM
Earlier this week I was a little pissed that the cold rainy weather was going to ruin my weekend plans, but after I saw white on the mountains while driving home from work Friday I started to get stoked. I was able to salvage part of my Saturday by heading up to Alta for a few hours to check out the snow. My friend and I have been welding together a 12 foot steel box to jib pre-season, but it's still being built so we left it home. We figured there wouldn't be enough snow to slide much anyway... we were wrong. There was close to 10 inches in some spots so we found some logs to grind, but they were a little sketchy for doing anything but board slides or tail presses etc... After deciding the logs weren't working too well we set up a 4 foot tall log, buried it in snow, built a lip in front of it and bonked off the top, just kind of screwing around. I've been jonesing to ride for a while, it was crazy to actually get a little in on Sept. 16th, I think that's the earliest I've seen a ride-able amount of snow in the Wasatch. Maybe we can have a Halloween opening date again at the resorts this year :rockon:

Eric.

asdf
09-18-2006, 06:03 AM
you should post some pics of your jib project.

shaggy125
09-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Ok, ok, I finally got off my lazy butt and pulled a few pictures off my phone. All I had was my crappy camera phone, but the pic's turned out decent. I took a short video but it's in a funky phone format that this forum won't accept and none of my converting programs will recognize it. I'm sure I could find a program that will, but it's not worth the hassle for a 10 second video. Nothing special by any means, but fun for pre-season. Once we get our box finished I'll post pics of our first time sessioning it.

Eric.

P.S. More snow in the forecast from tonight all the way to Friday! :2thumbs:

Mtnbiker
09-20-2006, 11:01 AM
Wow you guys are hitting it early :rockon:

I love boarding but I'm trying to milk every ounce out of this nice weather for biking before we get dumped on for good. :haha:

Winter is coming!

asdf
09-22-2006, 05:03 AM
Where are these pics? LCW or BCW? How deep was the snowpack?
You should let me know next time you guys head up there, I would love to play around on that thing.

shaggy125
09-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Where are these pics? LCW or BCW? How deep was the snowpack?
You should let me know next time you guys head up there, I would love to play around on that thing.

Sorry to take so long to reply, they were taken up LCW just below the old ski jump at Alta (across from the upper parking area). There were almost 10 inches of snow on top of rocks and weeds. I wanted to go up this weekend with all the snow, but I've been stuck working 12 hour shifts so I didn't make it. Our box is pretty much finished, I'll have to post a picture of it, it's pretty sweet. Every time it snows at least four or five inches We'll try to head up to set up our box, I'll have to let you know next time we go.

Eric.