PDA

View Full Version : Provo Peak

asdf
09-15-2006, 05:24 PM
As you may or may not know there has been at least two attempts in the past 30 years to create a new ski resort above Provo.
From word of mouth I seem to recall the last attempt was 7peaks (early 90's?) and they were shut down due to environmental concerns.

I have heard various stories about a cleared trees for a lift line and foundations for a ski lodge but have never seen either of these.

If you have hiked up Cascade, Lighting Peak, Shingle Mill, Provo Peak, Or Bartholomew Canyon you have seen the unbelievable terrain up there. If this resort ever does make its way to the area, Its will quite possibly the best resort in Utah. But until then is only for those with good legs/lungs..... and powderbirds.

Here are some pics i found online...
If you have any pics or a TR please share.

shaggy125
09-17-2006, 06:10 PM
:dropmouth: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber: :slobber:

live2ride
09-17-2006, 10:01 PM
Wow, those are some nice pics. I guess there are pros and cons to have another resort in such a pretty place.

stefan
09-18-2006, 09:45 AM
utah doesn't need any more resorts. the wasatch is too small to offer a justification for it either.

in fact, i don't believe any ski areas should be further expanding.

the backcountry is for those who wish to explore ... by legs.

helicopter skiing should also be extremely restricted in the wasatch, if not banned altogether. this isn't alaska or canada for pete's sake. everything is quick and relatively easy access.

it's crazy that utah is one of the only places where helicopter skiing has the right to use charges on slopes. this is absurd given the fact that the backcountry is sooo active with ski-tourers ... talk about dangerous!

helicopters and ski lifts are like bolts to slot canyons! they have there place, but don't use them everywhere!!

i'll step off my myopic soapbox now...

asdf
09-18-2006, 10:18 AM
helicopter skiing should also be extremely restricted in the wasatch, if not banned altogether. this isn't alaska or canada for pete's sake. everything is quick and relatively easy access.

I agree with this.

But as far as there already being too many resorts in Utah I definitely disagree.
I don't know how often you get out but the slopes are packed in this day and age. Even the back country is getting quite a bit more use. Just population growth and a new found love of the outdoors I guess.

Not many people hike up Provo peak and that area. Its pretty brutal to get up in there unless you go via Bartholomew from Hobble Creek and that looks pretty exposed.
Someday may never come, odds are we will never see this resort... but there is a need for more areas.

stefan
09-18-2006, 10:48 AM
But as far as there already being too many resorts in Utah I definitely disagree.
I don't know how often you get out but the slopes are packed in this day and age. Even the back country is getting quite a bit more use. Just population growth and a new found love of the outdoors I guess.

Not many people hike up Provo peak and that area. Its pretty brutal to get up in there unless you go via Bartholomew from Hobble Creek and that looks pretty exposed.
Someday may never come, odds are we will never see this resort... but there is a need for more areas.

yup. you're right it is kinda crowded. but, not overcrowded. what IS most certainly the case is that the ski areas are getting skied out much faster than ever. that's a function, VERY SIMPLY, of new technology ... the modern shaped ski. but one thing is clear, skiers are becoming out numbered by snowboarders, which has lead to a loss of about 1/3 of alta's clientele many many years ago. the days of 45 min lift lines at alta (on holidays) are over ... i would say that alta is RARELY crowded.

how much i get out depends on the year, but the past couple of years it's been a lot. i spend part of my time in the backcountry and part at alta, or elsewhere if the moment arises.

but you must understand, my decision is not based AT ALL on how crowded ski areas are. it is based upon wanting to preserve more of the wasatch, of which there is not much. it is a very skinny mountain range, not terribly long. we already have more than 8 ski areaa in the central wasatch alone, one of which, when finished expanding, will encompass a SHOCKING 5000 acres. the mountains to the south are dramatically beautiful, awe-inspiring, majestic. they should remain such and not be littered with lifts and roads and bullshit. if the backcountry skier can make it out there, then they will be rewarded.

skiing is probably my favorite activity of all. but i do believe that we must draw the line. there are plenty of ski areas in north america, utah doesn't need to cater to everyone, although it is a glutton for tourism.