PDA

View Full Version : Product Review Suggestions for a Decent Hiking Shoe

R
09-13-2006, 08:53 AM
I am looking for a decent hiking shoe that is sticky-soled enough for some light non-technical canyoneering. The shoes I have now are either very comfortable and not very grippy, or fairly grippy and not too comfortable. My wife has a pair of New Balance 650 that she says are like magnets on slickrock. Suggestions?

-Richard

stefan
09-13-2006, 09:14 AM
richard,

the best shoe is clearly in the eye of the wearer. i have gone from using hard core hike boots like the Raichle Palu Sa to these. These shoes aren't for everyone. They do have sticky rubber on the bottom which is nice. they don't have much support. they don't have a ton of protection. but they are the most comfortable hiking shoe i have ever worn. and more importantly they feel as good wet as they do dry. there is a lot of mesh, so the water flows out well, and they aerate very well too. i take these into canyons on dayhikes, or backpacking for 10 days. very very happy with them. if you want more support these may not be the best shoes. and the mesh can get pretty ripped. but i found they work great walking talus slopes and over varied terrain. the only downside is the price, but you can get them for 50 dollars somewhere on the net right now. i can tell you if you need it. but sizes are limited.

http://www.zappos.com/n/bs?q=exum+ridge

R
09-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Those look like the kind of thing I'm after. I saw that Zappos has them in a littany of Euro-American sizes: I wear an 11 in everything except New Balance, which run smaller and I wear a straight 11.5. What size would you think in these? Also, they are pricey - got a cheaper connection? Thanks in advance. -Richard

stefan
09-13-2006, 12:10 PM
Those look like the kind of thing I'm after. I saw that Zappos has them in a littany of Euro-American sizes: I wear an 11 in everything except New Balance, which run smaller and I wear a straight 11.5. What size would you think in these? Also, they are pricey - got a cheaper connection? Thanks in advance. -Richard

you know if i were you i would try them on before you buy them. i have found that the differences in sizes can be the difference between absolutely perfect and pretty good. why not get perfect. perfect for me is 45.5 (eur).

i am sure you can find someone who sells them in your neck of the woods. but definitely try them on first.

yeah. but naturally sizes are highly limited.

http://www.hudsontrail.com/viewClearanceItem/5/16/1555/