PDA

View Full Version : Boulder Mountain Trails / Cathedral Valley loop

brettyb
09-11-2006, 08:17 PM
I've driven over Boulder Mtn on UT 12 many times, but I finally want to do some hiking up there. So I'm looking for suggestions, and hopefully first hand experience. We'll be carrying a 1 year old, so we're only good for about 5 to 6 miles. We'll be down the first full weekend in October. I'll only consider trails that are closed to motorized use.

Also while in the area, I'm considering driving the Cathedral Valley loop. I've done the east side as far as the Temple of the Sun and Moon. How is the ford of the Fremont River on the western half of the loop? We have a Subaru Forester, does anyone have a feel for whether we'd expect to have much trouble in early October (assuming dry weather of course). And has anyone hiked the trails along the loop drive?

Thanks a lot.

brettyb
10-23-2006, 08:19 PM
Too bad no one had first hand experience. Anyway, we took our trip the first weekend in October--yes the weekend of (or actually, just after) the deluge that hit southern Utah. We went down Friday the 6th, the last day of the rains. Stayed in Torrey. Obviously, Cathedral Valley was out of the question. Other back roads, like Hells Backbone and Posey Lake were scratched too. We did hike on Boulder Mountain, on Saturday the 7th, which was a spectacular clear day after Friday's downpour. We did the short trail to Chriss Lake. There were lots of (elk?) hunters on Boulder Mountain. Fortunately, they seemed to be keeping their ATV's at least off the trail we were on. (Do any hunters walk any more?)

Just missed the leaves on Boulder Mtn by a week or two I'd guess. Would've been beautiful. Lots of cows on the section we visited. :-(

Also, got to see a spectacular display in Capitol Reef during the rains Friday. Multiple ephemeral waterfalls coming off the cliffs. Very cool. Since a picture is worth a thousand words...

Sombeech
10-23-2006, 08:33 PM
WOW!!! :hail2thechief: Great shots!

asdf
10-23-2006, 08:57 PM
Very nice!
:popcorn:

stefan
10-24-2006, 03:35 AM
sweeet! :2thumbs:

dig that rainbow betwixt two waterfalls!

thanks for sharin'