PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report TR: Mt. Nebo

moabfool
09-11-2006, 01:21 PM
On Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend I realized I hadn't stood on anything taller than a ladder all summer. To remedy this situation I decided to climb Mt Nebo. I had attempted Mt. Nebo three years earlier, but due to group difficulties I wasn't able to summit.

None of my friends could go so I decided to hike solo. I started at the Monument Trailhead and followed the Nebo Bench Trail west through three or four draws and then south along the eastern fringe of Mt Nebo. The trail through the dry washes was very cowed up. The cows walk anywhere they please ('cuz they're cows) which makes the trail very hard to follow in places. I did okay because I just looked for the shoe prints from other hikers.

My intent was to take the direct route up to the summit ridge. Difficulties on this route led to my previous failed summit attempt. Taking this route afforded me some solitude, but being solo wasn't as fun as I thought it would be. It was also a bit dangerous hiking solo because it's kinda steep with sections of loose rock.

The key to the direct route is to walk around the eastern flank of North Peak on the Nebo Bench Trail 'till Mt. Nebo comes into view. Once Mt. Nebo is in view find a dry gulley with a rocky bottom going to the west up an ever widening basin. Google Earth says this is Hell Hole Basin, but Hell Hole Basin is the drainage just to the south of this basin. Hike up the gulley taking the path of least resistance. It will be moderately steep near the bottom and level out a bit further up. Plod upward 'till the slope begins to steepen and the scree feels looser.

To the south (climber's left) there is an obvious gap in the rock/cliff band that forms the ridge between the gulley/basin you are following and Hell Hole Basin. Climb up to the obvious gap and gain the ridge. Scramble up the ridge (sections of very rotten rock) to the minor summit north of Mt. Nebo. There is about a 2,000' elevation gain from the time you leave the trail 'till you gain the minor summit.

Upon gaining the minor summit/ridge you will be able to see Mona Reservior, Utah Lake and Utah Valley. Follow the ridge south to Mt. Nebo. The ridge looks much scarier than it really is, especially the portion just below the summit block. Depending on the route you happen upon there may be a scrambling move or two required, but careful route finding and steady footting will avoid this.

The summit is broad and anit-climactic, but the view is definitely worth the hike, not to mention the accomplishment of climbing the highest peak in the Wasatch Range at 11,928'. Be sure to sign the summit register located in a small steel box just below the summit.

I met up with about a dozen hikers at the minor summit. They had hiked from the TH on Mona Pole Rd. We continued on to the summit together and spent about 30 minutes there. I shared the summit with several parties and there was an enjoyable banter amongst the groups.

I thought I'd like some company for the hike out, so I followed the trail down instead of the semi-scary slide down the ridge I had ascended. The trail was a good choice, but I had to be cautious to avoid being run down while leap-frogging a thundering herd of teenagers.

I think if I took anybody that wasn't a very skilled hiker I would follow the regular trail. To reach the main trailhead go to the Monument TH turnoff on the Mt. Nebo Scenic loop (about 20 miles south of Payson on the loop road). Take the Mona Pole Road (dirt) north for about 0.4 miles. There is a parking area on the left (southwest) side of the road with a sign and a crappy trailhead register. Follow the trail that goes up and west along the barbed wire fence. It will undulate through trees and valleys 'till it reaches the ridge overlooking Utah Valley. Turn south (left) and follow the well trodden trail along the ridge and onto the west face of North Peak. At Wolf Pass the trail will ascend steeply to the minor summit north of Mt. Nebo. From the minor summit follow the ridge south to the summit of Mt. Nebo.

Neither route is as long nor do they have the elevation gain of Mt. Timpanogos, but 5 to 9 hours will be required depending on the hiker.

moabfool
09-11-2006, 01:34 PM
The hike was great. Mt. Nebo isn't the alpine paradise that we've come to expect from the Cottonwood Canyons or even Mt. Timpanogos. The view was great and the summit wasn't the "ant hill" that Timp is on most summer weekends, but there were a ton of lady bugs.

The pic of the cow with "HI" on its side is real and not photoshopped.