PDA

View Full Version : Best Jerky ever

Scott Card
09-06-2006, 01:58 PM
Ok, Outdoor folks. I want to know your favorite brand of Beef Jerky that is available for purchase in a store. In other words, I am sure Uncle Bill's elk jerky is better than everyone's, melts in your mouth, etc. etc. but I don't know Uncle Bill. So what is the best stuff out there in a store? Come on Ice.. you are the jerky and gatoraid king. I like the soft more chewy stuff, not the shoe leather kind.

PunchKing
09-06-2006, 02:06 PM
I have been purchasing the Jack's Links Jerky and have enjoyed all the flavors I have tried. Besides I find their commercials to be slightly humorous.

Scott Card
09-06-2006, 03:16 PM
That is my brand of choice at the current time but I am still looking for something a little less leathery. Must be getting old but I still have my teeth. :haha:

Iceaxe
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
Come on Ice.. you are the jerky and gatoraid king. I like the soft more chewy stuff, not the shoe leather kind.

Yeah.... but my ol' man makes the best beef jerky and you said I couldn't mention that.......

Have you tried Try Jack Links Prime Rib of Beef Tender Cuts? Its sounds like your type of jerky. Its a little more expensive but its from a better cut of meat.

:2thumbs:

accadacca
09-06-2006, 03:55 PM
I used to go for King B. I haven't seen it around lately though.

Iceaxe
09-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I used to go for King B. I haven't seen it around lately though.

The Draper Albertson's has it so others probably do as well. King B is my fathers favorite.

Sombeech
09-06-2006, 04:40 PM
I'm the self-appointed Jerky King among my friends. I've tried ALL of the store brands.

King B
Oberto
Pemican
World Kitchens
Bridgeford
Jack Links
Tillamook
Maverick Brand (I forget the name, with the Lumberjack dude on front)
Great Value (WalMart Brand)
Farr West
Jim Bean
...and about 3 more brands that I can't think of the name right now.

My two favorites are the Great Value (basically Jack Links under WalMart's private label) and also Farr West, which is made up here near Ogden.

Scott Card
09-07-2006, 08:34 AM
Thanks. Looks like I have some jerky testin to do.

moabfool
09-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Trail's Best at Maverick.

chickenlicken
09-07-2006, 09:36 AM
A while back I got some pork jerky that was really tasty and seemed to be more tender than the beef, I don't recall the brand, but I got it at Macey's in Logan. Other than that, You have to love the Steak Bites...tender juicy and not so stringy.

rock_ski_cowboy
09-08-2006, 09:08 AM
Of all the major brands I prefer Oberto by far. You don't get the unnatural, perfect squares or the wierd translucent thing going on. I prefer my jeky a little dryer, as well. Seems that all the major brands load up on MSG and nitrates these days, which kind of bothers me.

Shan
09-08-2006, 09:14 AM
I had some awesome locally made jerky. It was at the Farmer's Market in Logan. I cannot think of the name of it!

I have thought of making my own jerky in my dehydrator, but the raw meat thing scares me - I may kill us all due to food poisoning.