PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions in Utah County

shaggy125
09-05-2006, 06:56 PM
Well my brother wants to go hiking this Saturday and we were going to probably head up Mt. Nebo, but turns out he has something going on in the morning, so we can't start hiking until around noon. He lives in Provo and his wife needs the car so I have to pick him up and would rather do something out that way. He wants to climb a mountain, but I don't think he's in good enough shape to sprint up a big mountain and be back before dark. Any suggestions of a good 5 to 7 hour hike in the area? I'd say no to Silver Lake and anything along the Timp. trail since we've both been. Something to the top of a peak or high ridge would be best, but anything worthwhile will work. Thanks.

Eric.

Glockguy
09-05-2006, 07:40 PM
Go to Alpine Ridge via Dry Creek.

asdf
09-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Sqaw peak via rock canyon is a good hike.
4-5 hours depending on group speed and time spent at the top.

..... or you could always hike the Y :naughty:

jb
09-06-2006, 08:03 AM
My favorite hike in the Wasatch is the Pfiefferhorn. Very scenic the whole way (especially after the lakes), with a very short almost-knife-edge ridge near the top. About 3500-ish feet of gain over 5-6 miles. Ascend via Red Pine Lakes and the nontechnical east ridge (left in pic below if I figured out how to do it).

Jeff

James_B_Wads2000
09-06-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey Jeff,

I edited your post to prevent side-scroll. I took a copy of your hotlinked pic, resized it and then uploaded it.

Read this Resizing Tutorial (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1718) to learn how to quickly resize multiple photos.

'Moderator' James

shaggy125
09-06-2006, 09:59 AM
Pfeiferhorn or Lone Peak were actually our original plan, until I found out I had to pick him up, then it changed to Mt. Nebo, now that we can't leave his house until 11:00 at the earliest, I don't know if it's worth driving to Provo, then all the way back and up LCC, then driving him home and then back to SLC. It might be worth it, the Pfeiferhorn has been on my to-do list for a long time. I hear it sucks when it's snow free though. True? Or not much different than Lone Peak's ridge without snow?

Iceaxe
09-06-2006, 10:12 AM
The P-horn is good any time. Snow or no snow. Just don't try and descend Maybird without snow, its a bitch. Red Pine up and Red Pine down.

:nod:

Scott P
09-06-2006, 02:54 PM
If you are heading to Provo, how about Provo Peak? Nice Peak; steep but not too long. Road can be rough. Box Elder Peak is nice as well, but a bit longer.

Pfiefferhorn is not on the way to Provo unless you are climbing from Lake Hardy. The Lake Hardy Route is actually very nice, but is a pretty long day hike, so noon isn't early enough.

Millcreek 3640
09-06-2006, 04:05 PM
Half Day Mtn. Hikes near Provo/Orem area

Alpine: Dry Fork - NE of Town, nice views and water,
up to the pass and back down.

AF Canyon - Silver Glance Lake - above Silver Lake,
Great views and water. Trails that circle or go near
Box Elder. Nice scenery and views. Access from Campground
above and NW of Tibble Fork Res.

PG/Lindon - go up one of the cyns on west face of timp.
Grove Creek, Battle Creek, Dry Creek. I'd take Grove,
then scramble atop Mahogony. Great view of Timp and
Valley.

Squaw Peak Road - Shingle Mill Peak. Easier vehicle access and
much quicker than Provo Peak. Great views, wild country.

Provo Squaw Peak - skip rock canyon and simply go up E face.
Hike to pass SE of Y on Y mount, leads up to ridge just w of
squaw peak road, sets one between Y mount and Lion Head,
nice views, complete solitude. Slate Canyon - E of Provo/
Springville. Head up canyon and then to backside of Lion Head.

Many more hikes on/around Timp; Maple Mtn, Spanish Fork Pk.
Loafer, Santiquin, Ridges N of Nebo. For that matter stay off the two
main routes to Timp and main routes to Nebo and friend, you
can have utah county, backcountry mountain travel in blissfull solitude.

SL SLC

shaggy125
09-07-2006, 02:55 PM
Anyone done this route to Nebo?

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Nebo_0000.asp

4.42 miles each way and less than a 4000 foot elevation gain, sounds reasonable for a noon start to me right? Any difficulties or things that would slow us down on the trail? Thanks for everyones suggestions so far.

Eric.

James_B_Wads2000
09-07-2006, 08:20 PM

The Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340) has two trip reports for Nebo both using that route. I friend of mine did this route a couple of weeks ago and said it was straightforward and easy to follow. Between these three tr

shaggy125
09-07-2006, 09:00 PM
[quote=James_B_Wads2000]The Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340) has two trip reports for Nebo both using that route. I friend of mine did this route a couple of weeks ago and said it was straightforward and easy to follow. Between these three tr

rock_ski_cowboy
09-08-2006, 11:52 AM

http://www.localhikes.com/Hikes/Nebo_0000.asp

4.42 miles each way and less than a 4000 foot elevation gain, sounds reasonable for a noon start to me right? Any difficulties or things that would slow us down on the trail? Thanks for everyones suggestions so far.

Eric.

My brothers and I (and josh) have done this one several times. One time we started at 5:30 PM and were on the summit at 8:00 pm. But we didn't really take any breaks. We hung out for a few minutes, got out of the steep stuff before dark, and then finished with headlamps. Fun stuff! Very steep trail, especially once you get above tree line. not for the out of shape. Bring lots o fluid. I'd join you but I'm going kayaking hopefully (definitely if my new boat comes before then)