PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to... The uutah Moab trip

cachehiker
09-05-2006, 04:24 PM
I was kinda trying to make room in my schedule for this earlier this year. Things never seemed to come together. Now things are slowing down and I'm considering heading down with a few bikes, staying for an entire week, and riding the Moab Century yet again as well as several trails. If managed to reserve a Sand Flats Group Site for October 6th through oh, i don't know, October 11th? would enough of you show up to justify $50/night? I guess I could show up a day or so earlier and squat on a smaller site too. Would anybody care to suggest an alternate, reservable group camping area that is likely to attract a few more participants than Sand Flats? Or is hotelling it the only way to make an event like this happen?

mtnbiker62
09-06-2006, 10:39 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I think I would prefer to stay in a hotel. I'm too old and soft...the siren song of a soft bed and a hot shower captivates me! :bath:

accadacca
09-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Hmmm that is tempting and it wouldn't get in the way of any Ute games.

Hmmm...

Mtnbiker
09-07-2006, 09:44 AM
Just thought I'd throw this out there...

I've got a buddy coming out from Michigan from Oct 13-23 to ride.

My plan so far is to leave Sat the 14th in the morning, drive to Fruita and hit one or two trails. Then:
-Moab for 1-2 days
-San Rafael Swell to do a quick and easy slot canyon and camp
-Gooseberry Mesa - ride and camp, and probably Goulds/JEM/Hurr rim loop.
-Hopefully hit Thunder mountain on the way home!

Any of you guys are welcome to come ride with us if you want. I won't have room in my truck but you're welcome to follow.

Ian

cachehiker
09-12-2006, 04:24 PM
This trip is looking more and more like a reality for me. In addition to being unable to find any acceptable accomodations for the Heber Valley Century, the local glass company is installing a picture window and two patio doors the day before the ride. That leaves me yet another day of vacation that I have to use up.

If my original itinerary stays intact, I'll be stopping once halfway there and once halfway back, probably to hike Trail Canyon and for a ride near Goblin Valley. I'll reserve a hotel for all the days in between and then cancelling the day(s) that look best for camping.

I'd love to get Top of The World, Poison Spider, and maybe Bartlett Wash or Hidden Canyon in. There is also a hiking trail called Hidden Valley that dumps out behind Prostitute Butte that I'd like to do.

live2ride
09-17-2006, 09:26 PM
I am interested in going down to Moab. In order to commit I would need to know the dates and so forth. I could possibly put the hotel on the company or we could stay in Price and ride with fuzzy for a night? Regardless I will probably be down there for the 24hrs of Moab. Oct 7th is the wifes B-day and I was out of town last year. Let me know the firm dates and I will hopefully be able to make it work.

cachehiker
09-19-2006, 03:49 PM
Although I expect to cancel the first or last night and camp at Goblin Valley or Trail Canyon on the way down or the way back, I managed to reserve a Double Queen room for five nights at the Bowen. I'm not as yet traveling with anybody in particular so there may be half a room available before too long. It might be a non-smoking room but there will be plenty of beer around after climbing THE BIG NASTY: 3000 ft. in 7 miles. What FUN!

I'll be bringing both a road bike and a mountain bike and possibly a second mountain bike for a friend. If every thing goes well (and it never does) I hope to do an easier ride in the San Rafael Swell on the morning of the 6th before arriving in Moab later that night, ride the century on the 7th, hike Hidden Valley, ride Hidden Canyon, Bartlett Wash, or Top of the World on the 8th/9th, and then hike Trail Canyon on the 9th/10th before returning. I can't wait. I've been working too much overtime as of late and I need to blow off some steam.