PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Lewis Peak

Mtnman1830
09-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Starting at the North Ogden Divide Trailhead, the peak is 5 1/2 miles away. The first part of the trail is steep switchbacks, but once they are behind you the trail isn't too bad.

At the top of them, you are rewarded with an amazing view of Huntsville, Eden, and Liberty and Pineview. The view from the top you can see Ben Lomond to the north, and Ogden Peak to the south

My brother and I did the round trip in six hours. The trail is open to hikers, bikes, horses, and atv's. I think it's a must-do.

Sombeech
09-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Cool. I've been thinking about biking this on a saturday, but I don't think I'll get to it this year.

Mtnman1830
12-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Up and at em again. It was chilly in the shade, and on the rigde with the wind. Overall, it was a great day for a hike.

The trail was covered in snow and/or ice in places, and we saw 6 moose.

We were up and down in 5 hours. Felt great to get out.

rwpontius
12-03-2008, 06:29 AM
Great TR Mtn Man. We tried Mt. Ogden via Beus Canyon several weeks ago but turned around a bit short of the saddle-bitter, cold wind, I must be getting soft in my old age! I didn't make it up Lewis Peak this year. Was there much snow on the trail right above the trailhead?
RP

Mtnman1830
12-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Right above the trailhead, it is very muddy, then the snow has been packed down pretty good, and is nearly ice. Once you get on the rigdeline, the trail is good until the last mile or so, there it is snow as seen in the pic.

Sombeech
09-20-2009, 08:41 AM
We're going to do this on Friday with a camp over. How long would you say it took you to get to the top? We're trying to plan our departure time.

We're also trying to decide if it's better to hit the peak first and then camp, then walk down, or camp on the way to the peak, hit the peak in the morning, then hike out. I guess time is the ultimate issue. Some of us really have to be home by Saturday afternoon.

Thanks.

Mtnman1830
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
it took me about six hours round trip...
That was only with my day pack. Maybe four hours with a pack with overnight stuff... The first part is pretty steep, but once you get up it is fairly flat, with one hill.

Sombeech
09-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the suggestions, unfortunately we're canceling our hike this weekend. Maybe we can bike up there sometime.