PDA

View Full Version : Which GPS?

DickHead
09-01-2006, 02:09 PM
I want to join the world of the technologically advanced and get me one of them GPS dohickeys....my wife's got a driving one (Garmin IQ) and I'm addicted to it now.
I want one that's got moving map, and preferably voice prompts for driving. Needs to also be topo capable, rugged, waterproof/resistant. The ability to run marine (Water) maps is a plus.
I'm looking at the Garmin 60CX (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60cx), but I'm not sure that it actually does voice nav.

Udink
09-01-2006, 03:10 PM
I don't think you can get any handheld GPS device that does voice prompts--certainly none of the Garmin 60 series units have that feature. The GPSMAP 276C (http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap276c/) sounds like it might work for you, but that thing is like a brick. I think just about anything you can get that does voice navigation is meant to sit on the dashboard of your car or boat, but they're pretty cumbersome for biking or hiking.

Just about everybody I know has a Garmin 60 series (including myself), and they're considered among most people to be the best outdoor GPS unit. There are so many flavors of the 60 that you can get as many or as few options as you need.

DickHead
09-01-2006, 03:52 PM
I emailed Gamrin to make sure that the 60cx is/isn't voice capable. If not, then I'm going to angle for the 60. The ability to map share with my wife's will be a bonus, so Garmin would be high on my list.

accadacca
09-01-2006, 04:00 PM
IMO: Garmin is the only way to fly! :cool2:

Reedus
09-01-2006, 07:37 PM
I'll sell my GPSMap 76cs for the price of a Vista C. I bought the 76cs thinking go big and go top of the line, but I don't need or use half of the features it has plus I like the size of the vista better. The 76cs has all sort of stuff including marine navigation. I bought mine brand new for 499 plus tax. It also has the entire state of Utah Garmin map source software loaded onto it. I also have the entire US topo maps if you want to load other states on there. The memory has 115 mb of memory which could probably load half the US on it. If you are interested or if anybody else is, let me know

Reed