PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Kings Peak

Mtnman1830
08-29-2006, 10:01 PM
Me and a few friends decided to bag Kings peak this summer. I hadn't been backpacking since I was a Scoutmaster 10 years ago, and was really looking forward to getting into the back counrty.

Needless to say, we hit Kings and Gilbert both, (highpoints of Duschene and Summit Counties) and really enjoyed ourselves.

The longest storm while we were there was about 20 minutes. The bugs were almost non-existant, and the coldest it got was perfect jacket weather.

Can't wait to do it again.

Anybody thought of a group outing???

Oh yeah, we hit Gilbert too.
http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3325

James_B_Wads2000
08-30-2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the TR Mtnman1830, I have added it to the Utah High Pointing Index (http://uutah.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=14340).

Kings is a great hike and a great summit. After climbing so many mountains in Utah, Kings was the first that from the top you couldn

Mtnman1830
08-30-2006, 09:48 AM
no, we didn't go down the chute. The two guys we met back at camp did, and they regreted it. They said they wouldn't suggest anybody usingit, but there was a father and two daughters who used it both up and down.

After I bag all the county highpoints, I plan on hitting the thirteeners. That will mean another visit to Kings, to get south kings. (I can't wait)

accadacca
08-30-2006, 10:51 AM
I think taking the chute back is a good option. I have even climbed Kings via the chute on the way up. :eek2: Not recommended...but going down is good.

Scott P
08-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Personally, I would highly recommend not doing the chute unless it is covered with snow. The chute makes a nice snow climb early season, as well as a good glissade if you know what you are doing, but after the snow melts, it's not a good idea since too many people using it will cause erosion. Some of the Colorado 14ers are prime examples. I imagine in a decade or so, the chute will look similar to Mount Sneffels in CO with a large ugly scar. Another problem you may encounter is that boyscouts seem to like to roll rocks down it in summer!

Dean
10-30-2006, 06:45 AM
I was one of the two guys that went down the chute. I wouldn't do it again as it is a knee killer for anyone with knee problems (I've already had knee therapy so I took it slow). Great TR & pics Mtnman. It was great meeting the three of you at Dollar Lake.

Shan
11-01-2006, 08:39 AM
Wow, that first B&W should be a framer!

Mtnman1830
11-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Wow, that first B&W should be a framer!

Thanks. Been too busy and haven't got a large copy of it. just the normal 4x6, but I have had lots of comments on it. I plan on doing an 8x10 and see how it turns out.

It looks a lot better than a color would have been, and have now started intentionally taking some b&w pics while on the trail.