PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Uintas Naturalist Basin

hike2kolob
08-28-2006, 04:11 PM
This last weekend (Fri-Sun) my buddy Andre and I backpacked into Jordan Lake to do some fishing. We were late getting started on Friday because we stopped at the REI sale. We each picked up the solo REI Roadster tent for $45 and were very pleased with our purchases. We also snagged some raingear at deep discount, which came in very handy.

As the Uintas are known for, the weather changed about every 20 minutes. We saw lightning, rain, hale, sleet, and snow... as well as beautiful warm sunshine for our last day.

I normally only pack dehydrated meals, but Andre convinced me we needed to haul in brats for dinner. Boy am I glad we did. Those giant brats with 147 fat grams sure tasted good in the cold damp night and kept on giving through the night. Unfortunately, I think they are harder to digest than beans, so we were engaged in a sort of "arms race." Thank you solo tent!

We caught at least 50 fish between us in Jordan Lake, but we were skunked after an hour or two of fishing in Shaler Lake nearly above the timberline. We didn't eat any of the fish because we had pounds of brats to finish. Andre kept asking me what kind of fish we were catching and I kept answering "Trout," regardless of colors or markings. Who do I look like... the fish and game? :haha:

Gratuitous pics below. Thanks to Andre for taking many of them.

accadacca
08-28-2006, 04:26 PM
O man are those beautiful pictures... :cool2:

We Salute You!! :guitar:

Wasatch Rebel
08-28-2006, 05:06 PM
Naturalist Basin is one of my favorite areas. I need to get back there! Nice pics!

marc olivares
08-28-2006, 05:15 PM
Jason, your holding out on us..... where are the shots of you guys actually kissing the fish...LOL

your changing weather shot is great! :2thumbs:

hike2kolob
08-28-2006, 06:41 PM
Jason, your holding out on us..... where are the shots of you guys actually kissing the fish...LOL

Damn! I knew we screwed those shots up. :lol8: Don't the fish bite you when you kiss them. :ne_nau:

Shan
08-29-2006, 09:00 AM
Nice photos! Too bad it rained, but looks like it was nice in the end. My H is heading up there this weekend for work. He is pretty excited to go back.

paraAdams
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Dude, great pictures!

Most of those fish looked like Brook trout, but I would definitely take the brats over fish!!!

Those tents look like a great idea, any idea how much they weigh? Would you recommend them?

I was up at Mirror lake on Saturday, we got hailed on like crazy. The weather was very unsettled...I think it's crazy you got snowed on!

Wild One
08-29-2006, 12:01 PM
i was up around Baldy and Mirror Lake on Sat. as well. Cool clouds and a lot colder than I was expecting. My bro. was up at Pittsburg Lake in AF Canyon on Sat. and they got pounded with snow for a while. Nothing stuck, but he said it was almost white out. :rockon: :rockon: Winter is on the way!

hike2kolob
08-29-2006, 12:49 PM
Dude, great pictures!

Most of those fish looked like Brook trout, but I would definitely take the brats over fish!!!

Those tents look like a great idea, any idea how much they weigh? Would you recommend them?

I was up at Mirror lake on Saturday, we got hailed on like crazy. The weather was very unsettled...I think it's crazy you got snowed on!

Thanks. I figured they might be Brook Trout, we were also catching some gray spotted trout.

As for the tents, they are great. My brother has two, one of which I had spent a night in, so I knew what I was getting. I was ready to buy it at $90 and when I checked out I found out it was half off. I was stoked and when I told my buddy they were only $45, he grabbed one. There are lighter tents out there (especially single wall tents), but I found the Roadster to be very functional.

Weight: 3lbs 1.75 ounces actual packed weight (with stuff sac, stakes, everything). I weighed it myself.

Pros: side entry (you don't have to climb in from one end); easy to get in and out of; double walled (comes with separate fly and I had no condensation issues); small vestibule to keep shoes and empty pack out of the rain; risers in each of the corners makes most of the tent floor useful; very easy to make taught with many adjustment straps; it held up great in the wind and the rain; and I can sit up in it to change.

Cons: May be a little small for tall guys; it is not a freestanding tent (must stake each corner and the fly); vestibule is on the small side; and the ceiling over your head is a little low.

Yes, I recommend.

chickenlicken
08-29-2006, 02:28 PM
In one of those photos, I thought it was Gilligan. Nice photos and nice fish.

Sombeech
09-01-2006, 07:53 PM
gorgeous terrain! I want to hit this next year.

I love the terrain in these shots.

http://uutah.com/forum/files/28__medium_.jpg

http://uutah.com/forum/files/31__medium_.jpg

Sombeech
12-26-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm looking at this for next summer. Fish count is a big factor, as well as crowds. I've been reading that this is a popular place for hikers, but few people go up to the 11,000 ft level.

What are your thoughts?

Scott P
12-27-2006, 06:59 AM
I'm looking at this for next summer. Fish count is a big factor, as well as crowds. I've been reading that this is a popular place for hikers, but few people go up to the 11,000 ft level.

What are your thoughts?

Naturalist Basin is pretty crowded anywhere you go. There are less people at Shayler Lake, but still some. Faxon and Hyatt lake don't have many people, but unless things have changed, not many (if any) fish.

Naturalist Basin is indeed nice, but if solitude is what you seek, there are far better places to go in the Uintas that are just as easy to hike to.

Sombeech
12-27-2006, 07:27 AM
Naturalist Basin is indeed nice, but if solitude is what you seek, there are far better places to go in the Uintas that are just as easy to hike to.

I just love all of those waterfalls. I'm afraid I may sacrifice the scenery for better fishing though.

tanya
12-27-2006, 07:43 AM

I just love all of those waterfalls. I'm afraid I may sacrifice the scenery for better fishing though.

We would be going in opposite directions. :cool2: It's gorgous there. You could stick around and play with those little smelly things though while I go and play in the scenery. :popcorn:

Scott P
12-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Waterfalls are easy to find in the Uintas and good fishing is easy to find too. I have a written a book on the Western Uintas, but I know all the Uintas pretty well.

Besides the areas that are in my book, here are some areas that are good for fishing, have fine scenery, and solitude. Ones that have a star are especially good for solitude. Ones with a "+" have waterfalls in the area.

Bald Lake*+
Lake Lorena*+
Priord and Norice Lakes*+
Upper West Rock Creek Basin+
Ottoson Basin+
Upper Garfield Basin+
Painter Lakes*+
Fish Lake (one near Marsh Peak)
Beaver-Coffin Lakes
Glibert Lake*

Ones that are in my book:

Abes Lake*
Anchor Lake*+
Jerrys Lake*
Big Elk Lake+ (occasional crowds though)
Hidden Lake-south*
East Shingle Mill Lake*

That should keep you busy for a while. :mrgreen: There are a lot more; those are just some off the top of my head.

Sombeech
12-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Thanks Scott. I'll have to look some of those up. :nod:

Heather
12-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Great pics! Absolutely gorgeous!

I know you. :D

Scott Card
12-27-2006, 10:20 AM
I have never been skunked at Notch Lake or Kamas Lake. Kamas is not too traveled on weekends but during the week, scouts may make the trek from scout lake up and over the pass past Lofty Lake, more like a pond, and down in. Notch Lake has quite a bit of traffic but always good fishing, particularly by the cliffs. (and the cliffs are spectacular). The trailhead is at the pass before you drop into the Mirror Lake area. I think it is the Bald Mountain Trail head. You hike mostly down hill to the lake, eat all your food and have a lighter pack on the way out. Pretty easy hike with not too much elevation change (compaired to some of those hikes) The beautiful thing about the Uintas is that your are always a mile or two from another lake just about anywhere you are and if the fishing stinks in one place it is likely to be good somewhere else.

I haven't been to the Uintas for a couple of years though, I have been totally consumed with canyoneering. But my kids are clamoring to get out more and now my youngest is four and diapers are a thing of the past, next summer I will be back to the Uintas I am sure. Great list Scott, I will dig out the map and try to find some of those lakes I am not familiar with.

accadacca
05-24-2013, 08:19 AM
A day late...

http://green-pr-agency.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/throwback-thursday.jpg