PDA

View Full Version : Uintah suggestion?

Alex
08-21-2006, 06:43 AM
Hey guys, I am planning on taking my pop up trailer up to Uintah this weekend for some family relaxation, fishing and camping. What are the best lakes to visit with an access to a low clearance 4wd vehicle with a trailer? I know only of the major lakes like Mirror... but those are so packed usually...

thanks!

Sombeech
08-21-2006, 07:52 AM
Christmas Meadows is always a family fun place. There are a few lakes surrounding it, but I've never been to them. It's got a decent stream running through it, with fish.

Also China Meadows is nice for the family.

Alex
08-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Thanks a lot dude, I will check out both places and do a TR after

Alex
08-21-2006, 08:08 AM
I looked up reservations and the Christmas one is all booked. How bad does the China campground get? Can I take chances going there without reservations on a Friday night?

Sombeech
08-21-2006, 08:28 AM
I looked up reservations and the Christmas one is all booked. How bad does the China campground get? Can I take chances going there without reservations on a Friday night?

I've never stayed at the campground there, I've just been through it fishing. (that's where we pulled out some artic graylings)

I do know that it's less popular than christmas meadows. And once you're in that area, you can try Henry's Fork, about half hour away(?)

marc olivares
08-21-2006, 11:43 AM
we spent a few days this weekend up there
(our canyon trip got squashed) and we stayed at Lost Creek.
if you want camp ground type camping this is great, hosts are nice, and bathrooms are super clean (considering).

if you want off the highway, you could take the small left dirt road just past the lost creek camp grouds (going north). this dirt road takes you to the top of teapot lake and is super nice for a primative area.
also check out Murrdock basin area, it's really easy to get to in a tent trailer, there are a handful of little lakes to camp by, Echo being one of them, as well as Marshall and Hoover. but i would not camp super close to Hoover or Marshall lake, they tend to get a bit more traffic than you may want.

we like to pull off just short of the lakes on one of the many turnoffs and sset up a base camp for hiking and climbing.