PDA

View Full Version : Women......

Scott P
08-17-2006, 06:02 PM
Sigh.

I don't get it. For our anniversary, my wife wanted a romantic tropical vacation for January. So, I just booked us some plane tickets to fly to Quito so we can climb Antisana, Cotopaxi, and Chimborazo. Now I can't even get a kiss.

I don't get it. Ecuador is right on the equator and smack dab in the middle of the tropics. It doesn't get anymore tropical than that. :2thumbs: What's the deal? From the photos I have of the mountains, it looks like they have romantic sunsets and it looks like fun. So what's the deal? Tropical vacation, romantic sunsets, exotic location; I mean what more could a women want?

Shane, is your wife training class still available? :naughty:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/78188.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/78189.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/25272.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/113903.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/86002.JPG

Sombeech
08-17-2006, 06:54 PM
Very, very cool pics man. So these were from your last trip, or are they what you hope to see?

Scott P
08-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Nope, haven't been there yet, so these are other's photos. We're going in January. I was just kidding about my wife not wanting to go there, but she is teasing me about it. She actually said that as long as we go to the Galapogos, she'll climb the peaks.

Anyway, I haven't been to Ecuador yet, so it will be fun. The countries/places I have been to are marked in red:

Alex
08-17-2006, 08:42 PM
Scott that's awesome map, great idea to do that!

Where in Russia did you go?

Scott P
08-17-2006, 08:59 PM
Where in Russia did you go?

Some of the photos from my trip are below (I'm the one dressed in light grey). You'll figure it out :cool2: (one is even my avatar pic). :haha: PS, why is your name Kazak? I assume you have been there?

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/40054.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/40311.jpg

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/40091.jpg

stefan
08-17-2006, 09:50 PM
The countries/places I have been to are marked in red:

nowhere really in europe, what gives, too ordinary? :ne_nau:

Scott P
08-18-2006, 06:47 AM
nowhere really in europe, what gives, too ordinary?

Too developed and very few areas with wilderness qualities except for maybe parts of Scandinavia.

Here's a good example:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/139850.JPG

Looks like a nice mountain, right? Well, let's take a peek of the summit view:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/medium/90706.jpg

Scenes like the above are very common. Most of the mountain areas in Europe are full of things like huts, trams, Via Ferrata's, etc. It's just a big tourist trap. That's fine by me, and I won't tell anyone else not to go there, but it's not something that I'm interested in (unless you count Iceland as a part of Europe). Maybe I'll go someday anyway.

stefan
08-18-2006, 07:34 AM
yes, scott, i am well aware of this. there ARE places that don't, but many of the most spectacular places have been usurped .... shiiiiiit this [europe] is where mountain 'recreation' started .... chamonix, a model for the rest of europe and the world to follow. this is largely the reason i boycott snowbird. i guess my point was that while i can understand that you have chosen to spend MORE time elsewhere in the world where there are more wild places, you have completely shut mainland europe out. are you of the opinion that unless it's very wild, it's not worth seeing? not trying to be an ass or nothing, but it would seem to mean that you haven't been across EVERY continent ... europe, africa or antarctica. or am i missing something? but i am sure the final statement in your quote is most certainly true.

rockgremlin
08-18-2006, 07:42 AM
Ecuador is gorgeous!! I spent a few years down there. If your wife would appreciate a "typical" tropical vacation, with white sand beaches and turquoise blue water -- book a few nights at a hotel in Salinas. I spent a few months there - it's one of the most gorgeous tropical resorts I've ever seen. Check this link out:

http://mandatolpm.com/salinas_ecuador.htm

Also check out Riobamba - if the Tungurahua volcano isn't still active (it blew just a few days ago).

Don't bother visiting Guayaquil - it's dirty, overpopulated, and has a high crime rate (especially if you have white skin).

I'm totally jealous!!! I'd love to go back!! :hail2thechief:

Shan
08-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Hey that sounds wonderful! I don't know what wrong with your wife! My anniversary is in Jan too. However, we've never even been on a honeymoon yet.

Scott P
08-18-2006, 09:23 AM
i guess my point was that while i can understand that you have chosen to spend MORE time elsewhere in the world where there are more wild places, you have completely shut mainland europe out.

Nope. Since Europe is easy to travel in and very developed I would go, but I'm saving it for the kids. It has appeal then, and would be much easier than hauling the kids across Africa or something. I just haven't made it yet because it isn't as appealing to me as other places I have been.

are you of the opinion that unless it's very wild, it's not worth seeing?

No. Every mountain, canyon, or forest is worth seeing. However, don't you do what's most appealing to you first? I haven't the time to visit every place in the world. I'm only 32 years old and still fairly young and I am not done traveling. :2thumbs: I can't be expected to have visited everywhere already. I have to do my favorites first and work my way down from there. Europe is right now the least appealing continent for me, so the others come first.

Except for Antisana, the places we are going in Ecuador are developed by Andes standards. I still want to go, and I am taking my wife. Would I rather do something wilder like climb Ama Dablam or something? Certainly. But, I only have so much time, budget, and skill, and much of what I want to do isn't what I am able to do.

not trying to be an ass or nothing, but it would seem to mean that you haven't been across EVERY continent ... europe, africa or antarctica. or am i missing something?

Well yes and no. Crossing is not the same as visiting (which countries are marked in red). Except for Antarctica, my statement is accurate (which I edited to reflect this). I have crossed Kansas plenty of times, but I have never visited. Also, I have crossed Europe. Don't forget that around 40% of Europe is Russia. Since I have crossed European Russia north to south (Moscow to the Caucasus), wouldn't it be accurate to say that I have crossed the European continent? I guess you could say that a true crossing would have to be ocean to ocean or boundary and I didn't go as far north as the Artic Ocean, but that seems to be splitting hairs too much. Actually though, I have flown across Europe a few times, :haha: and have crossed that way on my way to Asia or Africa, but that isn't really visiting a place at all.

My point was that Utah is one of the best places in the world and I still think this after visiting so many other places. I still keep coming back to Utah again and again.

PS, there is another reason why I haven't visited Europe much. Since adulthood, with the exception of the Russia trip, I have never been able to get time off in summer; only winter. That is an additional reason, as much of the Alps or Scandanavia would be beyond my abilities in winter at this time. I actually haven't visited Canada, for example, since I was a kid, but am from Everett Washington, not far from the border. We also went back several times as a teenager. I would love to go back, but Canada isn't appealing in winter. Canada is high on my list of places I really want to see more of, but I have been restricted to a winter scedule.

Shan
08-18-2006, 10:16 AM
So, um, how do you afford all these trips? Even if you are backpacking and doing it cheap there, these flights have to cost a pretty penny? H and I are 32 and 30 and I can only save up for school tuition, plane tickets back home and the occasional new toy.

Scott P
08-18-2006, 10:28 AM
So, um, how do you afford all these trips? Even if you are backpacking and doing it cheap there, these flights have to cost a pretty penny?

I used to get 2-3 months off in winter. This was in the years 2001-2004. That's when we did most of our traveling, at least the long trips.

In summer however, time off was strictly prohibited. 80 hours a week was probably the average, though sometime is was as low as 60 and once I had 116. Spring and Fall were more normal hours.

The trade off were these long winter vacations and enough money saved from summer to do it.

Plane tickets aren't as expensive as you would think, if you have a flexible scedule. "Round the World" tickets cost us $1200-1300 on occasion. That's not much to go to several destinations. They give you a certain amount of stops. One ticket, for example, we went to Thailand, Taiwan, India, Nepal, and China all on the same trip. Total cost was $1200 for a plane ticket out of SLC to all of those places over a period of about two months.

Watch the airfare prices, and sometimes they drop. On this trip, for example, our plane tickets to Ecuador were $420 round trip out of Salt Lake City plus about $100 taxes. Not too bad, but the price jumped back up after only a week.

The only time our plane tickets were that expensive, was to Australia-New Zealand. It cost us $1710 total SLC to New Zealand to Australia and back to SLC. Winter is high season there.

Shan
08-18-2006, 10:35 AM
i guess getting compesated for OT answers that! yeah a superlight costs $1400, i have been trying to buy one for 3 years. no dice! stupid college. (sarcasm here)

Iceaxe
08-18-2006, 11:02 AM
Hey Scott, I once booked my wife on a 5-day "cruise"...... about a week before we left I finally had to inform her it was a whitewater rafting trip down Cataract Canyon. :lol8:

I took her a while to see the humor in it :haha:

:popcorn:

Shan
08-18-2006, 11:04 AM
a rafting trip sounds a hell of a lot more fun that some cruise.

looks like i need a sugar daddy, instead of being the sugar mama.

accadacca
08-18-2006, 02:43 PM
looks like i need a sugar daddy, instead of being the sugar mama.
Giddy up... :lol8:

stefan
08-19-2006, 10:01 AM
Since Europe is easy to travel in and very developed I would go, but I'm saving it for the kids. It has appeal then, and would be much easier than hauling the kids across Africa or something. I just haven't made it yet because it isn't as appealing to me as other places I have been.

sounds like a good idea. just don't let them drink too much wine and beer at the chalets on the mountain hikes :haha:

No. Every mountain, canyon, or forest is worth seeing. However, don't you do what's most appealing to you first?

Well, it all depends who i am with, first of all. but what is most appealing to me varies quite a bit, usually the completely wild, but i also enjoy less wild places, especially if they are particularly scenic, such as the alps.

I haven't the time to visit every place in the world. I'm only 32 years old and still fairly young and I am not done traveling. :2thumbs: I can't be expected to have visited everywhere already. I have to do my favorites first and work my way down from there. Europe is right now the least appealing continent for me, so the others come first.

i know, i know. we all can't be like MK.

Well yes and no. Crossing is not the same as visiting Except for Antarctica, my statement is accurate (which I edited to reflect this).

sorry, not trying to police you or nothing. truly i don't care, i was just curious.
crossing ... true, but choosing words and knowing how they might be interpreted are two different things.
your quote reads better now anyhow.

Don't forget that around 40% of Europe is Russia. Since I have crossed European Russia north to south (Moscow to the Caucasus), wouldn't it be accurate to say that I have crossed the European continent?

yup it would be fair to say it, technically speaking, which is what you're trying to do. And this is fine, as i said, it's not really a big deal. when i read your motto, it usually has me thinking more like criss-crossing rather than crossing. this is what i mean by interpretation. but i am still impressed with where you have been.

I guess you could say that a true crossing would have to be ocean to ocean or boundary and I didn't go as far north as the Artic Ocean, but that seems to be splitting hairs too much.

it is splitting hairs, though some choose to do this when they embark on an adventure, but i don't think it's necessary for casual discussion.

My point was that Utah is one of the best places in the world and I still think this after visiting so many other places. I still keep coming back to Utah again and again.

yeah, ahh utah. i agree, and this is why i have always liked your quote. were you born in utah? if so where?

PS, there is another reason why I haven't visited Europe much. Since adulthood, with the exception of the Russia trip, I have never been able to get time off in summer; only winter. That is an additional reason, as much of the Alps or Scandanavia would be beyond my abilities in winter at this time.

i see. do you ski tour? are you a good skier? you could get in with a guide, but choose an area which is more wild and less tame so it suits your needs. there are a lot of great randonee routes through the alps. or is this out of the question.

I actually haven't visited Canada, for example, since I was a kid, but am from Everett Washington, not far from the border. We also went back several times as a teenager. I would love to go back, but Canada isn't appealing in winter. Canada is high on my list of places I really want to see more of, but I have been restricted to a winter scedule.

oh canada ... yep. i have spend some time in western and northwestern canada, but i hear that newfoundland is pretty amazing too, from a few friends that travel up there. baffin island seems like it would be a great place to hit some day.

well scott, seems that you won't be too hindered by your family as they like to do the same stuff as you. this is something that should NEVER be taken for granted.

Scott P
08-19-2006, 04:14 PM
but what is most appealing to me varies quite a bit, usually the completely wild, but i also enjoy less wild places, especially if they are particularly scenic, such as the alps.

I'm the same way, but other than development, there doesn't seem like there is anything in the Alps that can't be found in the Andes or Himalayas.

Maybe one day I'll go to the Alps, but it will probably be near the end of the list at this time.

were you born in utah? if so where?

No, I was bond in Washington, and have lived in Missouri, Wyoming, Illinois, Colorado, and Utah. Utah is still the best state.

i see. do you ski tour?

Sometimes, but my wife doesn't. I have been going with her.

are you a good skier?

I don't know if I am good. "Rusty" might be the best word.

baffin island seems like it would be a great place to hit some day.

Baffin Island is very appealing to me, and I have wanted to go for a very long time now. Alas, it is not a good place to go in winter. Maybe some day I can make it.

The place is also very expensive to get to. I also got hit with a huge pay cut ($27,000 per year cut!) in 2004, and the cost of our trips has been drastically reduced. Had some medical bills from the kids too. If I ever get the chance, Greenland and Baffin Island are high on the list.

Right now the top 5 of my list is as follows:

1. Muztag Ata
2. Antarctica
3. Ama Dablam
4. Puncak Jaya (if the political problems ever get solved).
5. Shisha Pangma

All those are pretty expensive or time consuming, but I would hope to get at least one in the upcoming years.

I was invited to join a trip to the first winter ascent of Muztag Ata a few years ago, but I decided I couldn't go since I wasn't sure that I would of been ready for those conditions, and because I wasn't sure if I could afford it. Actually, I wish I would have tried to go because now there doesn't seem to be a chance of anything like that coming up again.

stefan
08-19-2006, 05:34 PM
I'm the same way, but other than development, there doesn't seem like there is anything in the Alps that can't be found in the Andes or Himalayas.

hmm, how about the wonders of french/swiss cheeses?

were you born in utah? if so where?

No, I was bond in Washington, and have lived in Missouri, Wyoming, Illinois, Colorado, and Utah. Utah is still the best state.

oops! you said that already, sorry. yeah. there are a lot of places i really love, one of my favorite places is northern california, especially the north coast and the klamath mountains. but utah will always be no1.

Right now the top 5 of my list is as follows:

1. Muztag Ata
2. Antarctica
3. Ama Dablam
4. Puncak Jaya (if the political problems ever get solved).
5. Shisha Pangma

interesting choices ... all sound pretty great. hope you get to them sooner than later ... BTW 27,000 is a HUGE pay cut. sorry to hear that.

Scott P
08-20-2006, 08:12 PM

I have to admit I don't like French food much. Maybe it's better in France itself, but I haven't been impressed with food in French restaurants nor in French Polynesia.

It was however no worse than English or Australian food. Ick!

PS, if someone ever wanted to organise a winter climb of Mt Blanc or something, I guess the crowds would be tolerable then. Ever thought of doing this?

stefan
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM

I have to admit I don't like French food much.

well, okay, there are excellent italian pizzerias all over the swiss and french alps ... and everyone loves pizza!! but i WAS just kidding.

PS, if someone ever wanted to organise a winter climb of Mt Blanc or something, I guess the crowds would be tolerable then. Ever thought of doing this?

Yeah crowds are kind ridiculous there. I was going to climb it one summer, from a summer school i was at, which sat at the western foot of mont blanc. You essentially could walk directly from the school up to the top via one of the two standard routes. But it was the summer of the heat wave (2003), and the couloir one must ascend boasted frequent rockfall. I was going to hike this couloir one day, as it lead to a great vantage point, and i would assess the rockfall situation (this is probably the most difficult part of this route up mont blanc.) also day before 30 people where helicoptered out because of this rockfalll situation. I sat and watched this couloir dump rocks from high above literally every 10-15 minutes. In fact when i got there there were 3 people who were trying to descend, and were at the last crossing of the couloir to exit and get on the snow. they kept waiting for an opportune moment when the rocks seemed to stop. A period of 15 minutes had passed when one guy decided to cross. When he was 1/4 of the way across, i saw dust boiling uptop, and large rocks start falling. my heart started racing as i thought i was going to be witness to something aweful. at half way across he notices that there is rockfall and starts to run. at 3/4 of the way across, a rock the size of half of his body, barely misses him behind, travelling very fast ... he made it across. I spent 1.5 hours at this point, as it had great views and i decided i wasn't going to continue to the top. [already had a super close call with a large flying plate of rock at dead horse pass 3 feet in front of me]. The three guys were at that point when i got there, and the other two didn't move before i left. it looked pretty hazardous.

i think a winter ascent would be pretty interesting. But I don't think i'd be making out there anytime soon. too much stuff on my agenda.

Scott P
08-21-2006, 01:04 PM
If your wife would appreciate a "typical" tropical vacation, with white sand beaches and turquoise blue water -- book a few nights at a hotel in Salinas.

Nah, I was just joking. Last year we went to Tahiti, Moorea, and Easter Island, so it's time to go somewhere cooler (temperature wise).

Also check out Riobamba - if the Tungurahua volcano isn't still active (it blew just a few days ago).

Thanks for the tip. I guess it was a big eruption. Chimborazo is supposed to be closed now to climbing beacause of the Tungarahua eruption, but it's pretty far away and on the other side of Rio Bamba. We'll see what happens. I guess if it's still closed we'll just do Cayambe instead.

Anyway, hopefully you can make it back.