PDA

View Full Version : 3 new planets to be added to our Solar System

Sombeech
08-16-2006, 02:44 PM
Xena, Charon, and Ceres are 3 planets that will most likely be considered part of our solar system.

These are not newly discovered planets. Ceres was discovered in the 1800's, but was demoted to an asteroid. Xena is the farthest known object in the Solar System. Charon is Pluto's largest moon.

The International Astronomical Union hasn't even been fully anonymous that Pluto should be considered a planet, but under the new guidelines, any round object larger than 500 miles in diameter that orbits the sun, and has a mass @1/12,000th that of Earth.

That's not all. The IAU has a "watchlist" of at least a dozen other potential candidates to consider.

Source: Yahoo news link here. (http://news.yahoo.com/fc?cid=34&tmpl=fc&in=Science&cat=Astronomy_and_Space)

PunchKing
08-16-2006, 03:11 PM
Sucks for the elementary school kids there going to have to memorize three extra planets for their smiley face. I had it so easy.

stefan
08-16-2006, 05:21 PM
The International Astronomical Union hasn't even been fully anonymous that Pluto should be considered a planet, but under the new guidelines, any round object larger than 500 miles in diameter that orbits the sun, and has a mass @1/12,000th that of Earth.

It's slightly more complicated than this. Essentially you need to add that the celestial object needs to not be a moon in order to be called a planet. A moon can be a rounded object that orbits a planet much bigger than itself, in addition to the sun. Our moon is much bigger than pluto, but is not considered a planet. But because charon and pluto are roughly the same size they *would* be considered a double planet, rather one a moon of the other.

That's not all. The IAU has a "watchlist" of at least a dozen other potential candidates to consider.

it could come to be that there are over 100 planets in our solar system.

moabfool
08-17-2006, 11:52 AM
Xena, Charon, and Ceres are 3 planets that will most likely be considered part of our solar system.

Why are we naming planets after bad WB series? What's the next one, "Walker, Texas Ranger"?

accadacca
08-17-2006, 11:59 AM

Why are we naming planets after bad WB series? What's the next one, "Walker, Texas Ranger"?
Hey now, shes a babe! :naughty:

stefan
08-17-2006, 12:20 PM

alright, Walker, Texas Ranger may be an absolutely HARRIBLE show,
BUT it makes for great comedy on conan.

Sombeech
08-17-2006, 12:30 PM
Sucks for the elementary school kids there going to have to memorize three extra planets for their smiley face. I had it so easy.

Speaking of that, if the "union" decides to make it official, EVERY school will have to update their textbooks and encyclopedias...... on your dollar.

My advice? Become the next multi-billionaire, and get to work on writing your new textbook series. :nod:

Essentially you need to add that the celestial object needs to not be a moon in order to be called a planet. A moon can be a rounded object that orbits a planet much bigger than itself, in addition to the sun. Our moon is much bigger than pluto, but is not considered a planet. But because charon and pluto are roughly the same size they *would* be considered a double planet, rather one a moon of the other.

Yes, this was a little confusing as well, but they consisted on calling them 3 new planets, even though one of them was clearly Pluto's moon. I just got all my info from the video.

R
08-17-2006, 02:02 PM
My wife Abby and Chuck Norris were born in the same place, so I think she should get a planet named after her, too.

Hmm. This could start getting complicated.

stefan
08-17-2006, 02:48 PM
A moon can be a rounded object that orbits a planet much bigger than itself, in addition to the sun.

Yes, this was a little confusing as well, but they consisted on calling them 3 new planets, even though one of them was clearly Pluto's moon. I just got all my info from the video.

but see it's not "clearly" pluto's moon. the idea is that when two objects have less of a mass-discrepancy (not necessarily volume) between them, it's no longer clear that one is orbiting the other, as their "center-of-mass" lies outside the confines of the most/more massive planet. instead they could be said to orbit each other in some sense, or more accurately another point in space. pluto, charon and whatever-xena-will-really-be-called, fit this description, whereas the earth is SOOO much more massive than the moon that the center of mass lies within the boundary of earth. :hydro:

moabfool
08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
My wife Abby and Chuck Norris were born in the same place, so I think she should get a planet named after her, too.

Hmm. This could start getting complicated.

Where's DaveOU812? We could use a good Chuck Norris thread hyjacking :haha: . But then Chuck Norris wouldn't have to hijack the thread. :hail2thechief: The thread would gladly will its self to Chuck Norris' control, right?

Sombeech
08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
the earth is SOOO much more massive than the moon that the center of mass lies within the boundary of earth. :hydro:

Gotcha. A lot of people don't realize the moon actually pulls the earth a little bit. It's not just the waters of the tide, either.

Sombeech
08-17-2006, 10:40 PM
Moons? What about Stars? Don't even think about skipping over this topic!!!!

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/vandelay7/chuck%20norris/chuck_norris.jpg

stefan
08-17-2006, 10:50 PM
man, is he a texas ranger or a male stripper? :ne_nau:

Sombeech
08-24-2006, 09:08 AM
UPDATE: Forget adding 3 planets, Pluto has just been taken out!

Source here (http://news.yahoo.com/fc/science/astronomy_and_space)

The IAU has officially stripped Pluto of it's planetary status.

These boys are all over the board.

greyhair biker
08-27-2006, 11:34 AM
HEY! They didnt ask Chuck Norris if they could do that :hail2thechief: He's not a planet...HE IS the Universe!

greyhair biker
08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
...and it's not the Earth that pulls the moon in it's orbit...yes, it's Chuck Norris

Sombeech
09-29-2006, 09:20 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v383/Beware_of_Dawg/312789451_m.gif