PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Timpanogos on the 20th

cachehiker
08-16-2006, 12:30 PM
I so can't wait for this weekend. :frustrated: At this time of year, any break whatsoever from this h*!! hole is a welcome one.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand. I have a campsite reserved in the Mt. Timpanogos campground for Saturday and Sunday evening. A friend or three and I are going after the summit come Sunday. We're car camping because it's just an awful long drive to the trailhead from here and I don't want to get up at 4AM.

The distance and elevation gain aren't anything we can't handle but none of us have ever hiked this trail before. If there's anybody out there who knows the trail(s) and is up for hiking with a bunch of cyclists, speak now or forever hold your peace. I'd love to have another hiker or three along. I'll be posting a few pics when I return.

shaggy125
08-16-2006, 07:31 PM
I'll be in Zion on the 20th, but if you don't find anyone I wouldn't worry too much, the trail is like a freeway of bodies, especially on the weekends. You will have plenty of company. The trail is easy to follow and very well used. Are you hiking up Timpanookee or Aspen Grove? Timpanookee has slightly better scenery as most people will agree. If you wake up early and start just before the sun comes up, you won't run into the crowds until the hike down and there is a chance you'll be walking 5 feet away from a herd of mountain goats once you get to the rim.

Eric.

James_B_Wads2000
08-17-2006, 07:10 AM
The freeway of bodies will be considerably less on a Sunday. Climbing Timp is some sort of right of passage for BYU students. But fortunately these zealots only go on Saturday.

I have climbed it once from Timpanokee on a Saturday and only once. It sucked. We showed up at the trailhead late Friday night to find the campground full. We hiked up the trail

stefan
08-17-2006, 07:51 AM
But the worst part was that I ended up near a group of BYU kids that thought they were the Tabernacle Choir.
So I got to hear off-tune church hymns all the way to the top. :rope:

:lol8:

cachehiker
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
thought they were the Tabernacle Choir

Thanks for the advice. I'll be sure to bring a stout hiking stick to shut them up. A "sound" thrashing about the head and shoulders should do the trick. If that doesn't, a sweaty hiking sock makes a good gag. It almost makes me wish I owned a real gun.

I've got to rethink taking die hard roadies hiking with me. I've been fielding questions all afternoon. How long is the hike? How long do you figure it will take? How many miles on road bike is equivalent to a 14.5 mile hike? What size pack should we bring? Where are we going to filter water? Are you going to pack a lunch? How much water is enough? Are boots like these going to work for me? It's almost like talking to the four year old who lives across the street.

Regardless, I still can't wait. Taking my mountain bike too. Will probably hit a few nearby not terribly long or difficult trails like the Aspen Grove Summit, Timpanooke Loop, and Horse Flat on Saturday evening and Sunday morning.

shaggy125
08-18-2006, 04:12 PM
Climbing Timp is some sort of right of passage for BYU students.

I think the same goes for Angles Landing, I had a similar experience one Saturday in Zion. It must have been some kind of spring break at BYU because it got to the point that anyone we talked to we just assumed they went to the Y. We followed a group of giggling girls that wouldn't stop singing that "In the Jungle, the Lion Sleeps Tonight" song. I wanted to beat them and throw them off a cliff. :frustrated:

Eric.