PDA

View Full Version : Grandaddy area

paraAdams
08-16-2006, 10:47 AM
I am going to the Grandaddy Lake area of the Uintah's this weekend. I've only spent significant time on the North Slope, so I don't know the area at all.

Is there good fishing at Grandaddy, Betsy, Fish Hatchery? Are there many areas to set up camp? Any thing cool we need to check out while we're up that way?

Thanks!!! :haha:

Scott P
08-16-2006, 10:56 AM
Is there good fishing at Grandaddy, Betsy, Fish Hatchery?

Haven't been since the 90's, but it was OK back then. Grandaddy gets alot of fishing pressure, so it's often better when you spread out to some of the smaller and more off the beaten track lakes.

Are there many areas to set up camp?

All over the place. Grandaddy gets the most camping pressure, but it's a big lake, so you can usually find a place even there. The Grandaddy Basin is full of nice campsites.

Any thing cool we need to check out while we're up that way?

The Grandaddy Basin is more about lakes and meadows than towering mountains. Either Grandaddy Peak would make a nice side trip. There are many loop hikes in the basin.

I don't know if the fishing is any good (amybe not), but Docs Lake is cool and pretty isolated. If you have the chance to make it farther north in the basin, cross Cyclone Pass and the Thompson Lake area from Four Lakes Basin. The campsites are very small, but the lake is the prettiest and most isolated in the area, and has good fishing.

Shan
08-16-2006, 04:01 PM
My old stompin' grounds! This is where I played ranger while working for the forest service.

Just be sure to camp 200 feet from water, trail, or other campsites. You won't believe the number of people I had to kick off lake shore campsites. No lie, we witnessed a boy scout leader tie up a bag of trash and throw it in the lake while kids watched. :nono: Yes, he got fined.

I remember an old tent cabin remains if you take a steep trail down to Lodgepole Lake? There was a small water fall between GD and Lodgepole Lakes I think. Good fishing in the basin. Scott is right, more a lake/meadow/forest area than high peaks.

paraAdams
08-17-2006, 09:46 AM
if you have the chance to make it farther north in the basin, cross Cyclone Pass and the Thompson Lake area from Four Lakes Basin. The campsites are very small, but the lake is the prettiest and most isolated in the area, and has good fishing.[/quote]

I have thought about spending a few days up in the four lakes basin. It looks pretty isolated on a map...

I wonder how the fishing is. I don't want to pack in 4-5 days worth of food. Maybe next year.