PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report Little Cottonwood Canyon hiking

basilone0331
08-16-2006, 01:14 AM
Well I have been having internet issues so I couldn't to post for a few weeks but anyways... I went up Little Cottonwood Canyon on July 23rd to a spot that I have been to before. It's a short hike to an abandoned mine with lots of iron ore(?) at the mine entrance, which has been caved in. To get there start out at the forest service garage about 8.3 miles up the canyon. Follow the paved road heading behind some of the buildings and around the Alta police station. The pavement ends shortly after the police station, continue up the dirt road until you see a trail headed off to the left(north) just past a fenced off "avalanche study area". Follow this trail until you reach a fork in the trail and bear right on the old mine road. This road will take you up to the mining equipment and iron ore. I didn't bring my gps so I don't have way points or distances but I made it to the mine in about 45 minutes with a 7 year old.

stefan
08-16-2006, 01:36 AM
ahhh alta, one of my favorite places on earth :cool2:

Iceaxe
08-16-2006, 08:05 AM
That is one big buck in the last pic. :2thumbs:

Wild One
08-16-2006, 08:07 AM
Nice pix, holy crap the IS a big buck!

rockgremlin
08-16-2006, 11:45 AM
Without looking/feeling/smelling the stuff, I would say that the stuff you found contains iron, but isn't iron ore. Looks a bit like pyrite (FeS2).

Alta was famous for it's silver and lead ores. I would guess the old timers dumped the pyrite to the side in their quest for the those two metals.