PDA

View Full Version : Flaming Gorge crawfish

donny h
08-11-2006, 09:11 PM
Crawfish, crayfish, crawdads, mudbugs.

Yum.

What ever you call 'em, I had never tasted 'em before this trip to Flaming Gorge.

Zatarains crab boil, beer, lemon. Repeat and repeat.

These pics are from Upper Firehole, great spot, way up there on the Wyoming side.

I was using tiny cans of cat food for bait, fishy flavors, you can just see the cans in the traps, in a bait pouch sewn into the side of the trap.

photobucket of my trip:

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/donnyh/

Udink
08-11-2006, 09:26 PM
Crayfish are pretty good. I've only eaten them once, at Huntington Reservoir--we caught them with some chicken drumsticks on a string.

Awesome pictures on your photobucket account! This one (http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/donnyh/Upper%20Firehole/?action=view&current=Picture028.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch9) is especially gorgeous. Is that Dodge a diesel? And if so, what kinda fuel mileage do you get out of it?

donny h
08-11-2006, 09:28 PM
Here's Upper Firehole, some 30 miles off the pavement, lotta' solitude, in three days I saw a few motorcyclists in the distance once, and a car drove through once.

I never saw anyone on the water except me.

Very plentiful wildlife: antelope, otter, cottontails, geese, herons, and hawks, I even saw some coyote.

The fishing?

I saw lots of fish, but I was skunked at Firehole, I DO suck, being a rank beginner, so that's always a factor...

Boy, did I lose some tackle in the weeds.

donny h
08-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Crayfish are pretty good. I've only eaten them once, at Huntington Reservoir--we caught them with some chicken drumsticks on a string.

Awesome pictures on your photobucket account! This one (http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l105/donnyh/Upper%20Firehole/?action=view&current=Picture028.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch9) is especially gorgeous. Is that Dodge a diesel? And if so, what kinda fuel mileage do you get out of it?

It IS a Cummins diesel, with a stick.

I can get 19+ if I baby it, and 15mpg if I drive it like I stole it.

Here is Lowes bay, further south...

accadacca
08-11-2006, 09:43 PM
Beautiful pictures man! :2thumbs: A friend of mine just went up to Strawberry and caught some crawdads with his kids. They used the drumstick on a string trick. Good fun for kids and I thought about taking my boy up there. Again gorgeous pictures... :popcorn:

donny h
08-11-2006, 09:54 PM
Beautiful pictures man! :2thumbs: A friend of mine just went up to Strawberry and caught some crawdads with his kids. They used the drumstick on a string trick. Good fun for kids and I thought about taking my boy up there. Again gorgeous pictures... :popcorn:

I've heard the chicken-on-a-string thing works great, I should play with that sometime, but I wanted to be more king crab about it all, you know, once I was on the crab, set a nice string, with some rank bait, with a long soak.

Clearly I've watched those Discovery channel crabbing shows too many times.

:haha:

DickHead
08-13-2006, 09:51 AM
Where's this firehole place?

donny h
08-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Where's this firehole place?

The northern half of Flaming Gorge is in Wyoming, and Firehole is on the east side.

I-80 to Rock Springs and make a right.

Upper Firehole is off a dirt road off of a dirt road, just how I like it.

If you prefer campgrounds, Middle Firehole is the only developed rec area, there's a campground up on the bluffs, launch ramp, paved road from the highway, day use beach, trash, water, and sewer dump.

Everywhere else on the east side is dirt roads and primitive camping, until crossing back into Utah and Antelope Flats.

Great area to explore with a 4x4.

DickHead
08-14-2006, 10:17 AM
Very cool sounds like a fun time.
I love camping off-site. Unfortunately, my year isn't going to allow too many more adventures before I move. A fair number of day trips should round out my year nicely, though.
What's your usual catch there?