PDA

View Full Version : Imlay - Beta?

nelsonccc
08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Anybody been through Imlay since all the rain in the last couple of weeks? We're going to try to get in there again next weekend, we've canceled our last two attempts into Imaly due to rain. Hopefully third times a charm.

Scott Card
08-11-2006, 10:26 AM
I hope you make it happen. I am slotted to go there next week and I'd love to hear your beta and TR. Looks like the weather may actually cooperate. Only a 20% chance and only late in the day??? I'd take those odds. I hope you have your permit and can avoid the Zion permit fiasco I went through two weeks ago. I hope to read a report from you next week. :popcorn:

nelsonccc
08-11-2006, 11:17 AM
I hope you make it happen. I am slotted to go there next week and I'd love to hear your beta and TR. Looks like the weather may actually cooperate. Only a 20% chance and only late in the day??? I'd take those odds. I hope you have your permit and can avoid the Zion permit fiasco I went through two weeks ago. I hope to read a report from you next week. :popcorn:

I always get permits on-line for in and out on Friday or saturday. If you reserve them then you print them thursday and you never need to go to the counter. If i can't ge the permits on-line then i just do the canyon without a permit. It's simply too much hassle to deal with rengers at the desk who half the time have no idea what they are talking about.

In the last five years i've only been asked for my permit three times; once when we caught up to some rangers in Mystery, and twice in the Pine parking lot. One of those time for Pine i actually showed the lady my Keyhole permit from the day before since we didn't have Pine permits. She didn't even notice.

mma
08-11-2006, 08:34 PM
We did it on Wednesdays August 2 after the first big set of storms and it was completely full. All the keepers were full, so we weren't really challenged. The canyon has a completely different personality when it is full of water. We had a blast.

stefan
08-13-2006, 08:22 AM
I hope you make it happen. I am slotted to go there next week

are you goin' next weekend scott? or is this a midweek affair? you playing hookie from work?

IIf i can't ge the permits on-line then i just do the canyon without a permit. It's simply too much hassle to deal with rengers at the desk who half the time have no idea what they are talking about.

hopefully the work tom jones and others are doing will help to improve the current situation. i think the last thing the NPS would like is to see more and more people going in without permits. you would think this would present more of a liability for them. while very few would publicly condone entering zion canyons, especially one like imlay, without a permit, it seems that in this case it is of utmost importance to have someone cognizant of your itinerary and checking to see if you returned when expected ... which i am sure you do nelsoncc.

nelsonccc
08-13-2006, 11:40 AM
hopefully the work tom jones and others are doing will help to improve the current situation. i think the last thing the NPS would like is to see more and more people going in without permits. you would think this would present more of a liability for them. while very few would publicly condone entering zion canyons, especially one like imlay, without a permit, it seems that in this case it is of utmost importance to have someone cognizant of your itinerary and checking to see if you returned when expected ... which i am sure you do nelsoncc.

I'm not necessarily publicly condoning entering canyons sans permit, believe me i make every effort to get the permit. It's not a cost issue but rather a convenience issue. I think that some times geting the permit system puts me into a more dangerous situation than if i go whithout. If i cant get it the night before and have to postpone my departure time because i have to get the permit in the morning then I'm at a far greater risk of not geting out before dark, or being in the canyon during the late afternoon in prime monsoon season. I'd rather risk the ticket than endanger myself more than necessary.

I always print a description and map of where i am going. I give these to my wife with the approximate entrance and exit times. With a canyon like Imlay i also list approximate 'get worrried', 'panic', and 'call someone' times with an appropriate buffer for delays.

stefan
08-13-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm not necessarily publicly condoning entering canyons sans permit, believe me i make every effort to get the permit.

please don't misunderstand. i understand your postition. many folks do and argue the very same tune. and some folks like tom jones are trying in earnest to work with zion park service to convince them of the MANY problems and to help to draft a better approach/system. if you have questions and are interested you could contact him.

i should probably have explicitly stated it, but my post was more a broadcast than an aim at you.