PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on 2 night backpack trip in Sawtooths?

Shan
08-10-2006, 09:21 AM
Looking for suggestions on a 2 night backpacking trip in the Sawtooth National Recreation Area.

I've only biked up here but never backpacked, and there's only 2 books on hiking this area (one is supposedly hard to get), and I'm not sure I want to order it yet.

Lakes are good, views are good. Not extremely strenous. Less than 10 miles/day, we have a pg woman with us.

Scott P
08-10-2006, 09:43 AM
Alpine and Cramer Lakes

Sawtooth Lake as well for a one nighter, unless you have a car shuttle.

jb
08-10-2006, 10:06 AM
The classic Sawtooth backpack is the Alice Lake/Twin Lakes/Toxaway Lake loop. Start this loop from the Tin Cup trailhead at Pettit Lake. I prefer to hike to Toxaway first--this provides a stunning, take-your-breath-away view upon crossing Snowyside Pass (between Toxaway and Twin Lakes). All these lakes are around a mile long. Total distance is approximately 20 miles.

Another good choice is the Big Boulder Lakes in the White Clouds. Take the East Fork Salmon River Road to the Livingston Mill trailhead and hike in 7 miles to Walker Lake. Stay a couple of nights, and take dayhikes to the Big Boulder Lakes, Island Lake, etc., perched just beneath the White Cloud crest at about 10,000 feet. Wonderful country.

Jeff