PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Headlamps

paraAdams
08-09-2006, 03:24 PM
I have three Petzls. But my buddy just got the Princeton Tec EOS. WOW. Very bright, focused beam! At $42.00 it seems like a good deal.
So that brings me to my question:

Has anyone found a small One Watt headlamp that is brighter or more focused beam that the Princeton Tec EOS? Please tell me!!! :2thumbs:

price1869
08-10-2006, 06:32 AM
The princeton ttech is by far the best lamp for the money. Very waterproof too. I'm excited to try the 3 watt version.

caverspencer
08-10-2006, 08:07 AM
If you want a real headlamp your choices are a CX3-LED or a Nova 5

They cost slightly more than your princeton tec:

CX3-LED Headlamp System
The best of all worlds -- a powerful halogen beam and a dazzling LED array in one headpiece, powered by a long-life NiCd rechargeable battery! The broad beam of the 7-LED array will become your primary light, illuminating everything for 100 feet, while the halogen spot can be used for piercing pits and domes. The new NiMH battery will power the 7 LEDs for over 20 hours, the halogen spot for 10 hours! The new IntelliPulse charger provides plug-n-forget reliability; keeps battery full conditioned and charged indefinitely. Includes headpiece, charger, elastic tilting headcradle, and helmet-fixing strap for the battery. Complete system weighs only 17 oz. (485g.) Made in UK.
Note: Charger requires power supply sold separately; see below.
17-2451 CX3 7-LED NiMH Headlamp System $300.00
Includes head, battery, attachment strap, and charger.
17-2452 CX3 14-LED NiMH Headlamp System $350.00
Includes head, battery, attachment strap, and charger.
19-2441 NiMH Charger $55.00 (Requires Adapter/PSU below)
19-2442 Car Adapter for NiMH Charger $10.00
Enables charging via a vehicle cigarette lighter socket.
19-2443 Power Supply for NiMH Charger $15.00
A wallplug 110VAC power supply that outputs 12VDC to the NiMH Charger

REVOLUTIONIZING LED LIGHTING!
The NOVA 5 Headlamp
Speleo Technics is proud to introduce the first headlamp to feature a new generation of LEDs -- the Luxeon Star -- that offers a blazing 5 watts of power! The output of one Luxeon Star is comparable to 35 standard LEDs! Solid-state electronics provide constant brightness and 3 power levels, selectable via a one-touch magnetic switch. The Nova headpiece is extremely rugged -- shockproof and waterproof to -50 meters. It is designed to be used with a wide array of batteries, including the HeadLite (NiCd), FX-ion (Lithium), FX2, FX3, or a battery box containing a Duracell MN-1203 flat battery or 4 AA alkaline cells. It can also be fitted with an elastic headband, a blade mount for a helmet bracket (sold separately), or a flexible permanent mount; all options allow the head to pivot.
See the Nova Performance Chart for output and runtimes.
See the Nova Instructions for additional information.
See the reviews of the Nova in Descent Magazine.

(X = (1) Headband, (2) Blade Mount, or (3) Flexible Lamp Bracket)
17-2444 Nova Battery Box $22.00
Holds Duracell MN-1203 Battery or four AA Alkaline Cells (with adapter below)
17-2017 Battery Mounting Strap $2.50
17-2445 Nova 4AA Battery Adapter $10.00
17-2446 Nova Headcradle $22.00
17-2447 Nova Blade Mount $10.00
16-9804 Speleo Technics Lamp Bracket $5.00
17-244X Nova Nickel $365.00
As above, but with new 4.5Ah Nickel-Metal Hydride (NiMH) battery, IntelliPulse full-maintenance charger and choice of mounting (X = (4) Headband, (5) Blade Mount, or (6) Flexible Lamp Bracket). Charger requires separate power supply; see below.
19-2442 Car Adapter for NiMH Charger $10.00
Enables charging via a vehicle cigarette lighter socket.
19-2443 Power Supply for NiMH Charger $15.00
A wallplug 110VAC power supply that outputs 12VDC to the NiMH Charg

jumar
08-10-2006, 08:25 AM
Dang, maybe I found what I want for xmas this year. LOL

paraAdams
08-10-2006, 08:42 AM
$350 for a headlamp is a way too much. But I'd love to see it in action!

I like the Princeton Tec for 10% the price.

caverspencer
08-10-2006, 08:49 AM
$350 for a headlamp is a way too much. But I'd love to see it in action!

I like the Princeton Tec for 10% the price.

I have a princeton tec for a back up, along with $8 mini mags.

If you can find me a princeton that is 1/2 as bright that the batteries will last more than a couple of hours please let me know!

When you are doing 10 and 12 caving trips 1200' deep in 38 degree temperatures the $350 for a light is well worth it.

as a side note a Petzl Duo is also an all time favorite with cavers. There are a few issue with different versions. The 8 led with multi setting has some issues, and the old "soft" battery packs had some issue too. But If you have a $100 for a duo you will be very happy with it as well.

jumar
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM
I noticed Recreation Outlet has some LED headlamps for $8 or $9. I was considering getting some as alternate light sources.

caverspencer
08-10-2006, 08:58 AM
Depends on what you are doing with them. If you are just doing caves like you mentioned to me privatley a $6 headlamp will work fine. I use cheap lights aroudn the house and camping. In my backpacking pack is a couple of petzl tica's.

But ina cave Just remember light is your life when you are in a cave. Make sure you have back ups.

RedRoxx
01-08-2007, 02:41 PM
I use a Tag II which is a bright light and not white white like some LED's. It has a finicky switch tho and has a hefty waist mounted battery. I make sure I have another light mounted on my helmet and usually one around my neck I can pull up onto my head in case my helmet has to come off on some of the tight crawls. Typical cave trips for me are 10-14 hours usually. But I do a lot of photography sometime, and the vertical work takes some time to rig etc.

I like that Nova 5 but will wait as technology is achangin' and things get cheaper and sometimes better. I have a friend who is going retro--a carbide/ electric mount combo sort of like the Petzel duo. I am not into the fuss and muss of carbide, but really like the quality of the light.
One thing about a focused beam, I would want a wide angle/coverage option. Can miss too many things in the corners of rooms and passages.

Some pics from my last trip---

jumar
01-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Nice pics! Are those in AZ caves?

RedRoxx
02-15-2007, 06:17 PM
Yet another interesting although not cheap but not real expensive light---

http://www.foxfury.com/products/performance_series/fire_fighter/fire_fighter.htm